Edit:
Matheny fired 07/14/2018

Opening Day Roster
Spoiler!

[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:51 AM 03-05-2018
Originally Posted by BDj23:
Mikolas seems like he sucks
We have lots of quality pitching on the way. Flaherty will fit right into his spot this year. Hudson can take Waino's spot net year or at the All-Star break if Waino falters big time. Our main issue is the same one we have had for the recent past, offense.
Originally Posted by BDj23:
Cards extend Dejong 6/26
I watched the broadcast yesterday and they were selling up how good DeJong was at SS. Not that he had fantastic range or arm but that he had good instincts. They showed a routine ground ball and talked about how good his instincts were to field that ball..... I thought that was really strange. Now, I know.

$26 million down the drain if he goes into a full on Diaz meltdown mode isn't much. Avoid arbitration and if he plays close to what he did last year, he's locked in until age 31. Get another year of control of his prime years. I like these cheap bets.

If Mikolas and Dejong both fail, its still a lot less money than we got just this year from MLB selling some tech developed on mlb.com. Baseball is awash in money.
[Reply]
Marco Polo 09:07 AM 03-05-2018
Dejong extension seems reasonable. At worst, he can be a young platoon player within the infield if he regresses.
[Reply]
oldandslow 10:15 AM 03-05-2018
Originally Posted by Marco Polo:
Dejong extension seems reasonable. At worst, he can be a young platoon player within the infield if he regresses.
Yeah 4mil a year plus 2 option years is fine.

I have no problems with this.

If he regresses, you trade him.
[Reply]
O.city 10:16 AM 03-05-2018
He had a long time left before you need to make this decision.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 11:26 AM 03-05-2018
It's not financially crippling, but that's just dumb as fuck.
[Reply]
raybec 4 01:24 PM 03-05-2018
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
It's not financially crippling, but that's just dumb as ****.
Perfect description of 95% of the moves Mo has made in his tenure.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 01:45 PM 03-05-2018
Lulz
[Reply]
Miles 02:09 PM 03-05-2018
Seems unnecessarily early...
[Reply]
raybec 4 02:26 PM 03-05-2018
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
We have lots of quality pitching on the way. Flaherty will fit right into his spot this year. Hudson can take Waino's spot net year or at the All-Star break if Waino falters big time. Our main issue is the same one we have had for the recent past, offense.
I watched the broadcast yesterday and they were selling up how good DeJong was at SS. Not that he had fantastic range or arm but that he had good instincts. They showed a routine ground ball and talked about how good his instincts were to field that ball..... I thought that was really strange. Now, I know.

$26 million down the drain if he goes into a full on Diaz meltdown mode isn't much. Avoid arbitration and if he plays close to what he did last year, he's locked in until age 31. Get another year of control of his prime years. I like these cheap bets.

If Mikolas and Dejong both fail, its still a lot less money than we got just this year from MLB selling some tech developed on mlb.com. Baseball is awash in money.
The bullpen blew 40 leads last year BRC. FORTY!!
[Reply]
Marcellus 02:29 PM 03-05-2018
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
Yea it was epic bad. Seemed every other game we had a lead going into the 6th inning and boom.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 02:39 PM 03-05-2018
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
l agree on the big time suckage of the bullpen. but we have help on the way. Hicks is going to be our closer, maybe by the end of this year. We have other options a year or two away too.

Offense? Maybe O’Neill and some more OF’s. But there isn’t a #3 hitter among them.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 02:54 PM 03-05-2018
It's not financially crippling, but that's just dumb as fuck.
$26 million over 6 years ain’t shit in baseball money. Who cares if they hedge their bets on future production? They have already proven with Diaz they will just cut a player, eat the dead money and move on if production drops.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 03:39 PM 03-05-2018
$26 million over 6 years ain’t shit in baseball money. Who cares if they hedge their bets on future production? They have already proven with Diaz they will just cut a player, eat the dead money and move on if production drops.
Every four million you spend on Paul DeJong is four million you don't spend on Manny Machado, or Max Scherzer, et. al.

There is nothing about DeJong's skillset that suggests his production last year was sustainable, and now, you've taken someone that can provide significant surplus value if he is even a 1.5 win player, and gutted a good portion of that, just to potentially save yourself money in his arb years, which won't happen for another 3 seasons. If he was Carlos Correa and had torn up the minors all the way through, then yeah, you make this move. But when he K's five times as often as he walks and needs a ridiculous BABIP to remain a useful offensive player in a time where HR are cheaper than ever, it's just bad business.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:22 PM 03-05-2018
Every four million you spend on Paul DeJong is four million you don't spend on Manny Machado, or Max Scherzer, et. al.
if they try to sell that BS, no one is going to buy that crap. Oh we had to pay our 3B $4 million, 1% of revenue, so we can’t pay Manny $30 million a year? :-)

The last “official” revenue year documentation we have is 2016. The Cardinals took in $310 million. They now have at least an additional $100 million from the cable contract. Not to mention increases in national TV contracts and mlb.com revenue. It’s a good assumption that in 2018 the Cards are going to have revenue in the $430-$450 million neighborhood.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 04:26 PM 03-05-2018
if they try to sell that BS, no one is going to buy that crap. Oh we had to pay our 3B $4 million so we can’t pay Manny $30 million a year? :-)

The last “official” revenue year documentation we have is 2016. The Cardinals took in $310 million. They now have at least an additional $100 million from the cable contract. Not to mention increases in national TV contracts and mlb.com revenue. It’s a good assumption they are going to have revenue in the $430-$450 million neighborhood.
Whether you piss away $50 at a three-card-Monte game in one sitting, or $5 ten times playing the Lotto, you're still wasting money, and it all adds up.
[Reply]
Page 16 of 301
« First < 61213141516 171819202666116 > Last »
Up