Page 106 of 298
« First < 65696102103104105106 107108109110116156206 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Fire Bob Sutton
petegz28 10:12 PM 10-19-2017
That is all.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 08:28 PM 10-15-2018
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Who is responsible for that culture though?

You can blame it on Bob all you want but who is the guy that gave Bob complete control and doesn't even pay attention when the defense is on the field?

I have zero faith that Andy is going to replace Bob with somebody that's actually good. At best, they're going to get somebody just like Sutton. :-)
Do you really think that Andy Reid, sitting on top of a 100% Super Bowl-capable QB and offense, is going to just look across the hall at Bob and say, "hey don't worry, I've got enough offense here to cover you going forward"?

Yeah no.

Even Reid has to realize the great disadvantage he is at with this current defensive setup.

And it's NOT Reid's job to set the defensive culture for this team. I would further wager that anyone he hires to run the defense would be told as much during the interview process. Andy has his part of the show and the D-Coord has his.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:29 PM 10-15-2018
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Well, he's currently the Arkansas State Red Wolves offensive line coach.
So he's a yes!
[Reply]
Mecca 08:30 PM 10-15-2018
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Really don’t want to get a new DC that runs a 4-3. If we got someone new, I’d want a 3-4 coach who runs something familiar.

We don’t have time to waste a year going through a transition period on defense again and it would take a lot more work than people realize.

Not looking like it will happen, but God would I love Todd Bowles running this defense. I love the players he’s helped draft, the system he runs and development he has done with his players.

He was with Andy in Philly so you’d think Andy would welcome him here with open arms.
Most 4-3's are way less complex and apparently this defense is extremely complex so who's to say it wouldn't be easier? Hitchens came from one where he looked like he always knew what he was doing and now he looks confused constantly.
[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 08:40 PM 10-15-2018
So, we are all upset by the defensive performance, and rightfully so.

Many, like me, want Sutton fired. Others say it's all on the players. But I was thinking today that ultimately it is Andy Reid's fault.

Please hear me out. I used to be a regional manager for a big box retail store. One of my duties was to train new GMs and even department managers. One of the things that many of them struggled with was holding their employees accountable, especially when those employees were traditionally the best performers.

One of my most successful analogies to help them set goals, meet goals, and hold their team accountable, was a very simple dog walking analogy.

If you are walking a large dog down the sidewalk, and you are walking next him, and you only have about 2 feet of leash between you and the dog, if the dog tries taking a few steps off the sidewalk, it's easy to pull him back onto the sidewalk.

Now, as you continue your walk, you kinda get a little relaxed, and before you know it you have let the leash out to 5 feet between you and the dog, and that big dog sees a squirrel and as it takes those first couple of steps off the sidewalk, anticipating getting pulled back onto the sidewalk, and realizes that his collar didn't get yanked back so quickly, it takes a couple of more hard steps toward that squirrel, it he going to pull you off the sidewalk, and with 5 feet of free leash, it's going to be harder to pull him back.

But you struggle, and tug, and after some hard work you finally have that big dog back on the sidewalk. Now you are tired, but that big dog just learned that if it just walks on the sidewalk a little longer, it's going to have a good shot at getting that squirrel.

And just like before, you start to get relaxed, you can kinda see the end of the sidewalk, where your goal destination is, and you ease up. But now that you eased up, you have given the dog 10 feet of leash, and this time he didn't take those couple of tentative steps to test the leash, he saw that squirrel and took off. You just got yanked off that sidewalk, and when you tried to pull that leash, and pull that dog back to the sidewalk, that big 'ol dog pulled your shoulder out of socket, and any hopes you had of reaching the end of the sidewalk is gone.

The point of that analogy is to pay attention to how much you let the leash out, and the closer you keep the dog to the sidewalk, the easier it is to pull him back.

Now, there is more to it than that, but for the sake of typing it all out on my phone, that's what is important to my point.

In Reid's case the end of the sidewalk is having having a defense that is at least middle of the pack, and good enough to win a playoff game. But Reid has let the big defensive dog, Bob Sutton, have too much leash. He grew relaxed and distracted by all his offensive toys, and Bob has been running after that squirrel, known as a last place defense, full speed, and not only isn't Andy Reid strong enough to grab that leash and pull the big dog back onto the sidewalk, he seems to be too lazy to even try to pull the Bob back onto the sidewalk.

Reid has neglected the defense for so long, Sutton doesn't even know he has being doing anything wrong. When you are walking the dog, and you let the leash out 10 feet, the dog doesn't know it shouldn't run full speed until all the slack is gone. When our defense has given up 500 yards of offense, and 38 points, Reid doesn't even bother tugging on the leash.

How is Sutton going to take steps to change how badly the defense is playing if he doesn't know the defense is playing badly?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 08:45 PM 10-15-2018
Let me tell you a story about Bob Sutton. I call it, "Old Yeller".
[Reply]
RunKC 08:49 PM 10-15-2018
Originally Posted by Iconic:
Knew we should have got Pettine when we had the chance in the off-season.
Look at what he's turned Caper's dogshit defense into in Greenbay.

To put that into perspective they were ranked 22 last year in total yards allowed, under the same category above.

Scheme DOES matter. Even with scrubs. I'm tired of defending Sutton. Dude had Shaw cover Gronk one on one with no help during the most crucial part of the game. Who does that?
Pettine’s defense has given up 30 points to CJ Beathard.

That’s more embarrassing than anything we’ve done this year.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:44 PM 10-15-2018
Originally Posted by Claysexual:
Do you really think that Andy Reid, sitting on top of a 100% Super Bowl-capable QB and offense, is going to just look across the hall at Bob and say, "hey don't worry, I've got enough offense here to cover you going forward"?

Yeah no.

Even Reid has to realize the great disadvantage he is at with this current defensive setup.

And it's NOT Reid's job to set the defensive culture for this team. I would further wager that anyone he hires to run the defense would be told as much during the interview process. Andy has his part of the show and the D-Coord has his.
Andy Reid hired Juan Castillo to be his defensive coordinator, a move that ultimately contributed to him getting fired in Philadelphia. You're dramatically underestimating Andy's loyalty.

I'm quite certain Andy knows the defense is bad. I'm also fairly certain that a big part of why it's bad is because Andy has a BIG say in who they acquire and draft, which is why Dorsey is gone and Veach is the GM.

If you don't think Andy has a hand in setting the defensive culture of this team, I've got a bridge you should take a look at...
[Reply]
Molitoth 09:47 PM 10-15-2018
Andy Reid hired Juan Castillo to be his defensive coordinator, a move that ultimately contributed to him getting fired in Philadelphia. You're dramatically underestimating Andy's loyalty.

I'm quite certain Andy knows the defense is bad. I'm also fairly certain that a big part of why it's bad is because Andy has a BIG say in who they acquire and draft, which is why Dorsey is gone and Veach is the GM.

If you don't think Andy has a hand in setting the defensive culture of this team, I've got a bridge you should take a look at...
:-)
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 09:58 PM 10-15-2018

Then it's a shitty setup, spearheaded by a man with no ability whatsoever to realize where his talents and weaknesses lie, and an inability to delegate authority and responsibility.
And good luck with that.
[Reply]
gold_and_red 10:04 PM 10-15-2018
Then it's a shitty setup, spearheaded by a man with no ability whatsoever to realize where his talents and weaknesses lie, and an inability to delegate authority and responsibility.
And good luck with that.
My hunch is that Andy is still too much into the Xs of the offense that he does not interfere enough as much as he should into the defensive side of the ball.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:09 PM 10-15-2018
And good luck with that.
Actually, he's delegated TOO MUCH authority when it comes to the defense. He's not even watching the game when the defense is on the field, he's on the bench with Mahomes, looking at a Surface Pro.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 10:13 PM 10-15-2018
Originally Posted by gold_and_red:
My hunch is that Andy is still too much into the Xs of the offense that he does not interfere enough as much as he should into the defensive side of the ball.
As it should be. That's his bread and butter, his forte'. It's what he brings to the table that no one else can. And if you're doing it right, it SHOULD consume the majority of your work and waking hours.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 10:13 PM 10-15-2018
Originally Posted by Iconic:
Knew we should have got Pettine when we had the chance in the off-season.
Look at what he's turned Caper's dogshit defense into in Greenbay.

To put that into perspective they were ranked 22 last year in total yards allowed, under the same category above.

Scheme DOES matter. Even with scrubs. I'm tired of defending Sutton. Dude had Shaw cover Gronk one on one with no help during the most crucial part of the game. Who does that?
30 points allowed AT HOME to CJ fucking Beathard :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 10:13 PM 10-15-2018

[Reply]
gold_and_red 10:19 PM 10-15-2018
As it should be. That's his bread and butter, his forte'. It's what he brings to the table that no one else can. And if you're doing it right, it SHOULD consume the majority of your work and waking hours.
I understand but he can't be so hands off as the HC of a bottom 3 defense. Maybe he recognizes the problems but doesn't see an easy in-season fix.
[Reply]
Page 106 of 298
« First < 65696102103104105106 107108109110116156206 > Last »
Up