ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1360 of 2687
« First < 36086012601310135013561357135813591360 136113621363136413701410146018602360 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Patrick Mahomes Thread*****
Dante84 07:19 PM 04-27-2017
IT ****ING HAPPENED

OP UPDATE:

Because of all the interest in this thread, I've place all of the video content of Patrick Mahomes II's college career, and draft day goodness into a single post that can be found here. Enjoy!
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:03 PM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by Best22:
Think about this:

He passed on contracts worth millions of $ in the MLB to play in the NFL.

He took a huge risk (many people felt he made a bad decision) and probably wants to get paid. If we have to pay him $40 million every penny will be worth it.
That's not entirely accurate either.

He got drafted in the 37th round. He was about the 1,100 overall pick and he requested 1st round money to sign. He wasn't seen as a 1st round talent or some team would've just gone ahead and taken him there and given him the $2 million-ish associated with that slot.

He made that request of the Tigers, they said no and he went to play college ball. There are no indications he turned down 7 figures to go play football that I've ever seen. In fact, I've seen him say the opposite and that he threw out a number he and his advisors knew was ridiculous because he wanted to go play football BUT if anyone would've taken him up on it...
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 03:10 PM 12-12-2018

[Reply]
Best22 03:12 PM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
That's not entirely accurate either.

He got drafted in the 37th round. He was about the 1,100 overall pick and he requested 1st round money to sign. He wasn't seen as a 1st round talent or some team would've just gone ahead and taken him there and given him the $2 million-ish associated with that slot.

He made that request of the Tigers, they said no and he went to play college ball. There are no indications he turned down 7 figures to go play football that I've ever seen. In fact, I've seen him say the opposite and that he threw out a number he and his advisors knew was ridiculous because he wanted to go play football BUT if anyone would've taken him up on it...
I thought he turned down money from the Diamondbacks. You’re definitely right on his request of a large signing bonus with Detroit
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 03:22 PM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
I'm not saying its going to happen but I think he be inclined to sign a deal that allows him to be wealthy while still allowing the team to sign some other guys.

Pat doesn't seem like a me first kind of guy. He is going to get paid, big time, but I do't think money will be his top priority as long as its fair.

In other words I wouldn't be surprised if he left a little on the table.

Maybe I'm wrong.
He might, but he also might wonder why he's leaving some on the table so the Chiefs can throw it at guys like Berry. If the Chiefs start making better financial decisions, I imagine he'd feel better about such a deal.
[Reply]
Marcellus 03:24 PM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
He might, but he also might wonder why he's leaving some on the table so the Chiefs can throw it at guys like Berry. If the Chiefs start making better financial decisions, I imagine he'd feel better about such a deal.
Goddamn what a stupid post.

There isn't a player on that team that thinks the Chiefs made a mistake giving Berry that contract.

Just epically stupid. But thanks for the reminder.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:28 PM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by Best22:
I thought he turned down money from the Diamondbacks. You’re definitely right on his request of a large signing bonus with Detroit
I could be wrong there but I don't recall it. Technically speaking teams aren't allowed to offer hard numbers prior to the draft but then again technically speaking 'advisors' aren't supposed to act as agents but they effectively do.

They're not supposed to be exchanging contract figures if they haven't actually drafted the kid - mostly just a "hey, if we pay you slot will that get it done?" kind of thing until he's been selected.

But like I said, what I've read has said that he'd have taken the offer it was 1st round money and he never got that kind of offer. Let's be fair here - he was throwing in the low 90s. That's a live arm but he was never focusing on mechanics and he is undersized for a major league RHP, at least from a scouting perspective.

I kinda doubt he was a draft darling. For perspective, the Cardinals drafted a kid named Ronnie Williams in the same draft. Williams was an athlete turned pitcher who worked in the mid/high 90s and sat around 93 (both a couple ticks above Mahomes 94 mph peak and 91 mph cruising speed at the time). He was an undersized righty with a live arm but an arsenal that, by most accounts, was more polished than what Mahomes had. Williams was drafted as the very last pick of the 2nd round and signed for around $900K.

Virtually every write-up at the time has Williams as a better prospect than Mahomes was and most still saw him as an overdraft in the 2nd round, though not by a lot. Perfect Game had Mahomes ranked in the 400s among draft prospects as did Baseball America - Williams was universally in the 80-100 range.

The hype around Mahomes baseball status is pretty overstated really. He may well have turned into a phenomenal pitcher before all was said and done, but as a prospect in the 2014 draft, he just wouldn't have stood out much beyond the novelty of his name.

I would just be very surprised if he was truly offered any kind of meaningful signing bonus.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 03:38 PM 12-12-2018
Goddamn what a stupid post.

There isn't a player on that team that thinks the Chiefs made a mistake giving Berry that contract.

Just epically stupid. But thanks for the reminder.
Eric Berry is a magical honeypot for stupid takes. It's amazing how many people seem convinced he's getting cut in 2019.
[Reply]
Buehler445 03:45 PM 12-12-2018
I'm not saying its going to happen but I think he be inclined to sign a deal that allows him to be wealthy while still allowing the team to sign some other guys.

Pat doesn't seem like a me first kind of guy. He is going to get paid, big time, but I do't think money will be his top priority as long as its fair.

In other words I wouldn't be surprised if he left a little on the table.

Maybe I'm wrong.
Hopefully Clark is prepared for the tens of million dollars in under-the-table cash. Hell I’ll volunteer to be the bag man.
[Reply]
Marcellus 03:47 PM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
Eric Berry is a magical honeypot for stupid takes. It's amazing how many people seem convinced he's getting cut in 2019.
Since there is literally no debate to be had any longer about our QB except how great he is, like I said in another thread, its opened a Pandora's Box of stupid around here.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 03:49 PM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Hopefully Clark is prepared for the tens of million dollars in under-the-table cash. Hell I’ll volunteer to be the bag man.
Time to start up a PM15 fitness chain
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 04:05 PM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
Time to start up a PM15 fitness chain
I draw the line at avocado milkshakes!
[Reply]
suzzer99 04:11 PM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
This is a great interview by two people who clearly actually watched the entire game Sunday. Imagine!

Is that Mike Florio? I didn't get his name.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 04:13 PM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
This is a great interview by two people who clearly actually watched the entire game Sunday. Imagine!

Is that Mike Florio? I didn't get his name.
yes, that's Florio
[Reply]
Iconic 04:57 PM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by Beef Supreme:
I draw the line at avocado milkshakes!
Andy endorsed. Lots of BBQ sauce and uncrustables involved.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:09 PM 12-12-2018
Yeah this BS line that since Dad was rich, Mahomes won’t ask for top $ is complete crap. He will ask and the Chiefs will give him the largest guaranteed money ever in the NFL. They will add.... thank you sir, may I have another.

Our only risk here, and it’s a minor one, is that Andy leaves/retires and Mahomes doesn’t like the new coach.
[Reply]
Page 1360 of 2687
« First < 36086012601310135013561357135813591360 136113621363136413701410146018602360 > Last »
Up