ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 43 of 791
« First < 333940414243 444546475393143543 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>2019 Free agency Thread
O.city 03:24 PM 02-05-2019
We don't really have one of these yet, so figured we could use this as a place to discuss potential free agent acquisitions and what we would like to look for them to bring in.

If any of you guys are interested, heres a good place to do some research.

https://overthecap.com/
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:22 AM 02-20-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
You can get him for another year playing motivated for a contract. Why not do that?
Because you increase how much he’s going to want per year. DJLN has talked about this in length before. You either franchise tag someone and let them walk after that season or you just pay him now.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:23 AM 02-20-2019
You can get him for another year playing motivated for a contract. Why not do that?
you can. He'll cost even more next year if he does produce. And you'll have the same dilemma at that point only he's a year older.

I don't think he's really a long term answer. i don't think most people do.
[Reply]
O.city 11:24 AM 02-20-2019
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Because you increase how much he’s going to want per year. DJLN has talked about this in length before. You either franchise tag someone and let them walk after that season or you just pay him now.
Yeah, i'm not interested in paying him long term because of a couple reasons. First, his injury history and secondly his age.

If you aren't going to pay him, franchise him a year and get that year of high level effort for a contract then let him walk or tag and trade him then.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 11:24 AM 02-20-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
They're going to cut anybody who isn't producing to their cap hit and give it all to a guy that hasn't proven he can stay healthy. That's brilliant.
He played all 18 games this year. I'm not sure what you want.

Yeah, he could get injured. But anyone could. And even if he's more likely than most to miss a few games, he's still a big part of this team potentially winning a Super Bowl in 2019.

It's simple to me. If the Chiefs have to start Speaks or a rookie this year, Ford is going to help that player a lot more than Houston or any other FA will. He will attract the necessary attention to give Speaks/rookie consistent one on ones. I think it helps the defense as a whole better than keeping Houston. I don't consider getting rid of both to be a viable option. Making moves like that all at once when you are supposed to be a Super Bowl favorite will rock your locker room morale in a destructive manner.
[Reply]
BossChief 11:25 AM 02-20-2019
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
but really though he was 122 yards from breaking 600.

thats quite a ways off. and it happened one time out of 19 games...
He easily could have broken the yards AND TDs records and even hit 600 that game if he didn’t commit 5 turnovers.

TBH, I’m not backing off my comment either. I think he will own both of those records...maybe sooner rather than later.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:26 AM 02-20-2019
Yeah, i'm not interested in paying him long term because of a couple reasons. First, his injury history and secondly his age.

If you aren't going to pay him, franchise him a year and get that year of high level effort for a contract then let him walk or tag and trade him then.
Because you're essentially banking on him for 2019. If he gets hurt again, 2019 is a bust and you're starting over in 2020.

If you REALLY want to start over, do it now. Cut him and be done with it.
[Reply]
O.city 11:27 AM 02-20-2019
If you're gonna tag and keep him, you've gotta draft and or be developing someone to take his place next season.

I could get on board with tagging and trading and signing someone like Brandon Graham but he's already up there age wise.
[Reply]
threebag 11:27 AM 02-20-2019
Originally Posted by -King-:
If Mahomes ever has 600 yards in a game, our defensive coordinator needs to be shot.
Since trading Peters we are running low on thugs
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:28 AM 02-20-2019
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
I want to see him do it more than once - something he's NEVER done - before I put that much cap into him. I'd rather sign him than tag him if they have no intention of trading him. At least then, 2019 could be padded against him getting hurt again.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:28 AM 02-20-2019
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:

Yeah, he could get injured. But anyone could. And even if he's more likely than most to miss a few games, he's still a big part of this team potentially winning a Super Bowl in 2019.

It's simple to me. If the Chiefs have to start Speaks or a rookie this year, Ford is going to help that player a lot more than Houston or any other FA will. He will attract the necessary attention to give Speaks/rookie consistent one on ones. I think it helps the defense as a whole better than keeping Houston. I don't consider getting rid of both to be a viable option. Making moves like that all at once when you are supposed to be a Super Bowl favorite will rock your locker room morale in a destructive manner.
Probably.

Although I'm not sure that Houston's better all-around play doesn't do more for your overall team defense.

But it's going to be Ford, it was always going to be Ford. I have misgivings with the other half of his game, but he is a good pass rusher.
[Reply]
O.city 11:30 AM 02-20-2019
Because you're essentially banking on him for 2019. If he gets hurt again, 2019 is a bust and you're starting over in 2020.

If you REALLY want to start over, do it now. Cut him and be done with it.
Yes, because motivation matters. Especially motivation for a big contract.

If they'd played this thought process, they'd have not given him his fifth year option and moved on last year.

They wouldn't have had the season they did without Ford last season.

It's a risk either way, whether you tag him, tag and trade him, let him walk etc.

If you want to go to outside free agents to replace his production, fine. But for one, I don't think you're gonna be able to get 2 pass rushers for cap space he'd create.

Secondly, pass rushers typically take time to develop. Especially ones drafted where we're gonna be drafting. As you've said here, they don't really have time to wait for that.

So Ford on another contract year is about your most hopeful option to get an impact player this year in a super bowl push.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 11:30 AM 02-20-2019
I want to see him do it more than once - something he's NEVER done - before I put that much cap into him. I'd rather sign him than tag him if they have no intention of trading him. At least then, 2019 could be padded against him getting hurt again.
That makes no sense man. You want to give him major long term guaranteed money although your concern is he can't stay healthy? That's very contradicting.

Tag him in '19, draft a replacement either this year or next because no, they should not sign him long term regardless of 2019's outcome.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 11:31 AM 02-20-2019
If they tag him and keep him, he's your marquis free agent. If he falls short of 2018 in any way, that's going to hold the team back quite a bit.

You're basically building your defense around Dee Ford for 2019.
I'm fine with this. There isnt a pass rusher on the market that's better and nothing at corner that makes more impact and the best safety on the market is a guy who's broken his leg back to back years.

A good GM should get 2 or 3 good players in this draft considering how many picks we have in the top 200.
[Reply]
BossChief 11:31 AM 02-20-2019
Are you going to sign Hill or Jones? Either of those guys are going to cost.

You also have $3M almost of cap space lost to accelerators or bonuses on 4 or 5 players.

Rookie cap.

When it comes down to it, the Chiefs don't have very much cap space at all, even if they cut Houston.
Extensions that are done ahead of time by us typically haven’t impacted the current years cap because they are extensionsctacked onto the end of current deals.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 11:32 AM 02-20-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Probably.

Although I'm not sure that Houston's better all-around play doesn't do more for your overall team defense.

But it's going to be Ford, it was always going to be Ford. I have misgivings with the other half of his game, but he is a good pass rusher.
Gonna be playing with plenty of leads in all likelihood so I see why they'd value the superior pass rusher.
[Reply]
Page 43 of 791
« First < 333940414243 444546475393143543 > Last »
Up