ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 7
« First < 23456 7 >
Nzoner's Game Room>In case you want to feel disrespected
Kiimo 04:27 PM 09-15-2020
It isn't easy to find disrespect these days, most have finally woken up about what we've been saying since the Chiefs drafted Mahomes.

Well I found precisely ONE power ranking that doesn't have the Chiefs #1.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-power-r...053847579.html

HOW DARE YOU

Send rage

Put it on the chalkboard

We're the new Patriots

[Reply]
htismaqe 12:31 PM 09-16-2020
Originally Posted by DRM08:
Another example is the AFC title game against Patriots. Mahomes had an awful first half against the GOAT defensive coach. At halftime, he allegedly told the team they would drop 30 on Belichick in the second half. And he went out there, played lights out in super freezing cold weather...dropped 30 on them just like he said he would. That same Belichick defense later held a 30 point per game Rams team to only 3 points total in the Super Bowl.

In my opinion, things did not look so hopeless for the Ravens at halftime against Tennessee like it did for Mahomes in that Patriots game. On top of Belichick's defense doing a great job, he also had to overcome a GOAT level QB for the Patriots. Lamar was going against friggin Ryan Tannehill. For whatever reason, Lamar and his teammates just could not get it figured out in the 2nd half.

If Lamar really is Michael Jordan like they say, then the clutch performances in the playoffs need to start happening very soon. Jordan dropped 60+ on the Celtics with no one supporting him in a losing effort early in his playoff career. Personally, I think Mahomes' performances against New England, Houston, Tennessee, and even the Niners look a hell of a lot more like Michael Jordan. The ability to flip a switch when things were going very bad. It's an extremely unique trait. We've seen it from Brady many times, including that GOAT level comeback on the Falcons. We've seen it from Rodgers many times. We've seen it from Mahomes quite a few times in his early career already.

[Reply]
htismaqe 12:36 PM 09-16-2020
Originally Posted by gold_and_red:
While people rave about how Lamar is improving as a passer they don't acknowledge enough about how Mahomes is also improving. He is already shedding some gunslinger traits and is starting to take whatever the defense is giving him. In a few years he would have seen every type of coverage and when combined with his work ethic, memory and recall, his team will be favored in every game.
For Lamar it is more important to get over the mental hump asap. The longer this goes on the more difficult it becomes. Even if his playing style does not change significantly the prospect of choking in the playoffs will weigh in more heavily than anything else.
The longer it takes Lamar to develop his passing skills, the longer he continues to run when plays break down. The longer they HAVE to use him as a runner to mix things up.

I just don't see how the Ravens model is sustainable. This is who Jackson is, for better or worse.
[Reply]
Marcellus 12:39 PM 09-16-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Doesn't mean that they are "wrong" or "disrespectful" here. Ravens, Chiefs, and Steelers all looked really good.
I don't know maybe it has to do with the Ravens have lost to KC each time they have played including last year in a not particularly close game, Lamar hasn't made it to even 1 AFCCG and the Chiefs are the reigning SB Champs?
[Reply]
Kiimo 12:40 PM 09-16-2020
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Same as it was for every running qb. There will be defenses that can contain you (like kc used to do to Vick). There will be games where you have to play catchup or when the opposing team forces you to play outside your gameplan (for Baltimore it's run it down your throat on long brutal drives). Steve Young overcame that. I have not seen lamar do this consistently

These qbs may dominate for the majority of games. But they aren't built to consistently win in big games. I'll take our guy any day of the week
And we as Chiefs fans knew that BEFORE we got Mahomes.

That's why that first draft profile that Soren eventually read aloud on the air was so meaningful. Everything in that was exactly what the Chiefs were missing all those years. We knew it is what you need to get playoff wins because we saw Elway and Peyton do it to us for decades
[Reply]
DRM08 12:44 PM 09-16-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
The longer it takes Lamar to develop his passing skills, the longer he continues to run when plays break down. The longer they HAVE to use him as a runner to mix things up.

I just don't see how the Ravens model is sustainable. This is who Jackson is, for better or worse.
I think there is evidence of him turning into more of a passer. Last year he averaged 12 carries per game. This past Sunday only had 7 carries. Defenses will always have to worry about his speed as a runner. Cleveland sold out to stop the run and he torched them through the air. Granted, it's Cleveland. But the point still stands that if he runs the ball 7 times per game and they keep winning big, then I think you have to tip your cap and give him credit for changing his game. Guess we'll see how it goes as the season plays out.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:52 PM 09-16-2020
I think there is evidence of him turning into more of a passer. Last year he averaged 12 carries per game. This past Sunday only had 7 carries. Defenses will always have to worry about his speed as a runner. Cleveland sold out to stop the run and he torched them through the air. Granted, it's Cleveland. But the point still stands that if he runs the ball 7 times per game and they keep winning big, then I think you have to tip your cap and give him credit for changing his game. Guess we'll see how it goes as the season plays out.
I'm not sure that 7 carries means anything.

He had 3 carries in game 1 last year in blowing out the Dolphins while throwing for 324 yards and 5 TDs. He followed that up with 16 carries against the Cardinals.

He may have averaged 12 carries per game but his rushing from game-to-game was bipolar. He rushed 14 or more times in 7 games. He only had 1 game at or near his season average - 11 rushes against Buffalo.
[Reply]
DRM08 12:55 PM 09-16-2020

He had 3 carries in game 1 last year in blowing out the Dolphins while throwing for 324 yards and 5 TDs. He followed that up with 16 carries against the Cardinals.

He may have averaged 12 carries per game but his rushing from game-to-game was bipolar. He rushed 14 or more times in 7 games. He only had 1 game at or near his season average - 11 rushes against Buffalo.
Very good points. I'm curious to see how it goes in later games.

I hate that Breeland is out for the Ravens/Patriots games. We're not gonna get the best idea of KC's secondary against Lamar in that game. While Cam Newton is not a huge threat in the passing game, it still sucks to not have one of your best guys against a Belichick team.
[Reply]
Marcellus 01:00 PM 09-16-2020

Yup. I don't think you can look at the run/pass ratio of the Chiefs offense last week and use it as a metric going forward either.

Man DC's are going to be pulling their hair out trying to figure out our game plan if we keep mixing it up successfully.
[Reply]
DRM08 01:03 PM 09-16-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Yup. I don't think you can look at the run/pass ratio of the Chiefs offense last week and use it as a metric going forward either.

Man DC's are going to be pulling their hair out trying to figure out our game plan if we keep mixing it up successfully.
Except I would be happy as hell if they run it a lot more. Take away some of the pass rush shots to Mahomes' body. It would be epic if a dude with his talent can stay healthy into his 40's. A good run game could really help a ton in this goal.
[Reply]
Marcellus 01:05 PM 09-16-2020
Except I would be happy as hell if they run it a lot more. Take away some of the pass rush shots to Mahomes' body. It would be epic if a dude with his talent can stay healthy into his 40's. A good run game could really help a ton in this goal.
He needs to take fewer hit but Reid isn't going to go all Martyball anytime soon.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:13 PM 09-16-2020
Andy Reid's most run-heavy year in KC was 2013 with 442 attempts. It has gone down every year since, except for a small spike in 2015.

BTW, the Ravens ran the ball 596 times last year. :-)
[Reply]
smithandrew051 01:21 PM 09-16-2020
There just aren’t many guys in league history to come into the league throwing like Lamar and then develop into an upper echelon passer. I can’t think of any really.

Throwing the ball from the pocket at a high level is such an art form that most NFL QBs can’t do it, which is why you see teams cling to the ones who can. Those guys last. If they were easily replaceable, they wouldn’t get huge contracts.

I don’t see it with Lamar, and I don’t think we ever will. Without the running ability, he’s a mediocre QB. It’s fair to say that he has the running ability, so who cares? It’s just going to take one bad injury for his career to fall apart.

Mahomes’s elusiveness is great and takes him to another level, but he could have Brady mobility and still be one of the greats.
[Reply]
DRM08 01:27 PM 09-16-2020
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
There just aren’t many guys in league history to come into the league throwing like Lamar and then develop into an upper echelon passer. I can’t think of any really.

Throwing the ball from the pocket at a high level is such an art form that most NFL QBs can’t do it, which is why you see teams cling to the ones who can. Those guys last. If they were easily replaceable, they wouldn’t get huge contracts.

I don’t see it with Lamar, and I don’t think we ever will. Without the running ability, he’s a mediocre QB. It’s fair to say that he has the running ability, so who cares? It’s just going to take one bad injury for his career to fall apart.

Mahomes’s elusiveness is great and takes him to another level, but he could have Brady mobility and still be one of the greats.
Lamar is a hard worker, so gotta give him props for that. It also helps that the league is way more friendly to the passing game than it was 20 years ago. The rules make it pretty tough to play solid coverage in the secondary without getting flagged. On top of that, you aren't really allowed to hit the QB like they did back in the day. This helps all modern QB's including Mahomes. Seems like the bust rate on QB draft picks is quite a bit lower than it used to be.
[Reply]
ModSocks 01:45 PM 09-16-2020
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:

Lamar is already an NFL caliber passer. His arm talent is certainly top 10 in the league. Now, he may not have the mental part of the game down yet but that comes with experience.

Did you watch him on Sunday? He already looks like a better passer.

He's been studying Mahomes, you can tell. He's now manipulating receivers open with the threat of the run. He's creating passing lanes using his feet and then hitting guys between the numbers on the move. He's no longer just seeing lanes and running, like 2 seasons ago.

Anyone who thinks he's going to crash and burn hasn't been watching him, and didn't watch him on Sunday.

He HAS progressed yet again.

If you think he's just some running QB who's mediocre at throwing, then i question what you're watching.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 01:49 PM 09-16-2020
Lamar is a hard worker, so gotta give him props for that. It also helps that the league is way more friendly to the passing game than it was 20 years ago. The rules make it pretty tough to play solid coverage in the secondary without getting flagged. On top of that, you aren't really allowed to hit the QB like they did back in the day. This helps all modern QB's including Mahomes. Seems like the bust rate on QB draft picks is quite a bit lower than it used to be.
Yes, the rules protect QBs...as PASSERS. When the QB becomes a runner, he isn’t any more protected than a RB.

Not sure I agree about the bust rate. I think we see more have immediate success than in the past, but you can’t scheme longevity. Eventually the average or bad QBs get exposed.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 7
« First < 23456 7 >
Up