ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 14
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Will the Chiefs sign a RB
Mecca 03:22 PM 09-14-2020
Supposedly they wanted Peterson but only after week 1...about all that's left is Devonta Freeman and Lamar Miller, so does it happen?
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 05:33 PM 09-14-2020
Jamarl Charles available? Think how many Escalades he would get if he’s productive at his age.
[Reply]
R Clark 05:33 PM 09-14-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
He was their leading rusher yesterday. 17 for 66.
So you don’t think they’d take a 7th round pick for him? Lol
[Reply]
nychief 05:34 PM 09-14-2020
I don't know why we'd need another RB. They have faith in Williams - he got 7 carries in the opener. He'll continue to get touches because he is our best pass blocking back... Darwin is a liability in pass protection. If someone goes down, Washington is next up.

Miller and Freeman are washed.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:49 PM 09-14-2020
Originally Posted by nychief:
Miller and Freeman are washed.
They're both waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more talented than either Darwin Award or Darrel Williams.

The Chiefs cannot expect CEH to have 400+ touches and make it through the postseason unscathed.
[Reply]
htismaqe 05:51 PM 09-14-2020
They're both waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more talented than either Darwin Award or Darrel Williams.

The Chiefs cannot expect CEH to have 400+ touches and make it through the postseason unscathed.
Yep.
[Reply]
Wilson8 06:46 PM 09-14-2020
Lamar Miller is reported to be to be signing with Indianapolis Colts after Marlon Mack Achilles injury.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 07:08 PM 09-14-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
They're going to need somebody to spell CEH at some point. No need to run him into the ground right off the bat.
I get it. But did the first game tell us anything we hadn't been aware of before? Darrell Williams is at best a JAG. I didn't love Thompson's constant mental mistakes from last year, but he was a rookie and I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I suspect Veach is content to roll with what we've got for now.
[Reply]
lcarus 07:31 PM 09-14-2020
All I know is, I watched a lot of Falcons last season and Freeman was pretty awful.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:37 PM 09-14-2020
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
I suspect Veach is content to roll with what we've got for now.
CEH had 27 touches Thursday night, which over the course of 16 games is more than 400 touches in a season. That's just not going to work, especially given they expect to play 19 games this season.

The Chiefs needed a marquee running back so desperately that they spent the #32 overall pick on the best running back in the draft, even with Damien Williams slated to return for another season at the time of the draft.

Now, they head into the season just one injury away from seeing Darrel Williams and Darwin Award Thompson as their potential starters, two guys that failed to prove that they had any business on an NFL roster other than on Special Teams.

I'm sure that Veach is burning up the phone lines looking for another back to bring in, whether it's a street free agent or via trade because they're just one injury from disaster.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 07:56 PM 09-14-2020
CEH had 27 touches Thursday night, which over the course of 16 games is more than 400 touches in a season. That's just not going to work, especially given they expect to play 19 games this season.

The Chiefs needed a marquee running back so desperately that they spent the #32 overall pick on the best running back in the draft, even with Damien Williams slated to return for another season at the time of the draft.

Now, they head into the season just one injury away from seeing Darrel Williams and Darwin Award Thompson as their potential starters, two guys that failed to prove that they had any business on an NFL roster other than on Special Teams.

I'm sure that Veach is burning up the phone lines looking for another back to bring in, whether it's a street free agent or via trade because they're just one injury from disaster.
Agreed that there's no question that can't be his regular season workload. Having said that, I doubt the plan in the first game against the Texans is what Reid has as his master plan for the entire season. We were trying to develop some continuity as timing, tackling, etc needed to be worked on without a preseason. The Chiefs played a largely basic offense taking what the defense gave them and making a point not to force anything. I think Reid enjoyed toying with the rest of the league with a run-focused offense.

We went into the Super Bowl with a similar RB room and McCoy in the shadows. Replace Damien Williams with CEH and McCoy with Washington and that's what we're dealing with right now. And given that there was clearly no trust in McCoy late in the season, I'm not sure there's an overall dropoff.

And "one injury from disaster"? Our passing offense has the ability to make most JAGs off the street look much more effective than they'd be anywhere else. I have no interest in seeing Darrell Williams as our starting RB, but I suspect the team would find a way to make it work and avoid any sort of disaster.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:06 PM 09-14-2020
Agreed that there's no question that can't be his regular season workload. Having said that, I doubt the plan in the first game against the Texans is what Reid has as his master plan for the entire season. We were trying to develop some continuity as timing, tackling, etc needed to be worked on without a preseason. The Chiefs played a largely basic offense taking what the defense gave them and making a point not to force anything. I think Reid enjoyed toying with the rest of the league with a run-focused offense.
Even if they reduced his work load by 7 touches a game, you're looking at 7 touches more by either Williams or Thompson, neither of whom have shown they can even average more 3.5 yards per touch.

We went into the Super Bowl with a similar RB room and McCoy in the shadows. Replace Damien Williams with CEH and McCoy with Washington and that's what we're dealing with right now. And given that there was clearly no trust in McCoy late in the season, I'm not sure there's an overall dropoff.
Washington isn't on the active roster, he's a Practice Squad player.

The Chiefs wanted to avoid this exact scenario by drafting a running back in the first round. I mentioned this earlier in the thread but had they known that Damien Williams would opt at on or before draft day, there's no doubt they would have either drafted, signed or hunted down a UDFA running back and get him ready for the season.

And "one injury from disaster"? Our passing offense has the ability to make most JAGs off the street look much more effective than they'd be anywhere else. I have no interest in seeing Darrell Williams as our starting RB, but I suspect the team would find a way to make it work and avoid any sort of disaster.
Agree to disagree.

Without an injury-free Damien Williams at the end of last season and into the playoffs, the outcome could have been very, very different. Having a stud running back allows Mahomes just a split second more to look at the field while the linebackers and safeties peek into the backfield.

Without that, you'll see the offensive line overwhelmed, much like it was early last season, because they'll know they don't have to cover or spy a running back.

And again, Reid has always had premiere running backs, whether it was Westbrook, Shady, Jamal Charles, Kareem Hunt and now CEH. If the Chiefs were to lose CEH, they'd be in deep trouble this season because there's no one else on the roster that's a threat.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 08:32 PM 09-14-2020
Only two things I’d respond:

1/ I know Washington is on the PS. I guess I always assumed he was a moment’s notice to be added to the roster once Yelder went to IR. Otherwise, it was kinda unprecedented for them to have 4 TEs on the roster.
2/ I think there’s a place where Darwin Thompson is better than the rookie who had a variety of mental lapses last season but worse than the CP darling whom many fell in love with after he was drafted. They’ve seemed to give him opportunities to shine, so it seems likely they see something redeemable. I’m not willing to entirely write him off yet without seeing how he’s progressed in his second season.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:43 PM 09-14-2020
Only two things I’d respond:

1/ I know Washington is on the PS. I guess I always assumed he was a moment’s notice to be added to the roster once Yelder went to IR. Otherwise, it was kinda unprecedented for them to have 4 TEs suiting up.
2/ I think there’s a place where Darwin Thompson is better than the rookie who had a variety of mental lapses last season but worse than the CP darling whom many fell in love with after he was drafted. They’ve seemed to give him opportunities to shine, so it seems likely they see something redeemable. I’m not willing to entirely write him off yet without seeing how he’s progressed in his second season.
Darwin Award Thompson is the least instinctive Chiefs running back since Knile Davis. But while Knile Davis was 6'3, 225 pounds with sub 4.5 speed, Thompson is 5'8, 198 with 4.55 speed an no vision. And Davis was an above average returner to boot, which is why he stuck around for a few years.

I'd love to be wrong about Thompson but I'm just not seeing it.

The dude just doesn't look like he belongs.
[Reply]
Dante84 09:06 PM 09-14-2020
I agree, we do need a RB 2. Williams is not only slow, but also seems to float like a moth towards contact. Thompson and Washington ain’t it.

I also think we need a TE 2 for the same reasons, but I guess we are going with the numbers game there and they seem to like Keizer, so I’m fine with that for now.
[Reply]
BossChief 09:59 PM 09-14-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
No, he's just terrible. He saw 8 snaps on ST.
He’s not terrible.

He’s limited in awareness, in what we saw last year as a rookie. At times, he looked completely lost. He was solid running the ball and even flashed the ability to be a pretty good runner, but he is mentally absent as a receiver out of the backfield. Washington is a good back as a receiver and a runner and they decided to keep Thompson on the 53 over him. The RB coach loves him.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 14
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Up