ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 12 of 14
« First < 289101112 1314 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Will the Chiefs sign a RB
Mecca 03:22 PM 09-14-2020
Supposedly they wanted Peterson but only after week 1...about all that's left is Devonta Freeman and Lamar Miller, so does it happen?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:29 PM 09-16-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
I'm just looking around the league for someone who could do it and woudln't be meh.

Plus Gore deserves a ring.
Gore's pretty much the living embodiment of 'meh'.

He's been under 4 YPC over his last 1,100 rushing attempts and he ain't getting younger.

I'm completely in favor of lousy teams continuing to feed him carries because I get a kick out of that dude still playing football after 20 years and a slew of significant injuries.

But I really don't see any skills there that Williams doesn't have. And as far as I can tell he's NEVER played in a real high-octane passing offense. A couple seasons under Pagano playing w/ Lucks' backups is as close as I can really see. And ultimately even when Luck was healthy, Pagano never ran a real exotic system.

I just don't see how he'd help at this point.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:46 PM 09-16-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
But I really don't see any skills there that Williams doesn't have. And as far as I can tell he's NEVER played in a real high-octane passing offense. A couple seasons under Pagano playing w/ Lucks' backups is as close as I can really see. And ultimately even when Luck was healthy, Pagano never ran a real exotic system.

Well, Williams best 40 time was 4.72 while Gore was a 4.5 guy, so there's that.

I do not understand why anyone thinks anything of Darrel Williams. He's a slow, lumbering guy that isn't shifty or slippery nor has he shown any power for a man his size. If the guy was on the Raiders, Broncos or Chargers, there would be a good portion of Chiefs fans that would be laughing at the guy.

Can Andy win with Williams as his lead back? Sure, although for how long would be up for serious debate.

But this situation bears watching because unlike 2015 after Charles went down, the Chiefs do not have a sub 4.4 guy like Charcandrick West nor do they have a 225 pound slippery back with great vision and soft hands. That said, I do have more faith in Williams than I do in Darwin Award but that's like saying I've got a "Wish in one hand and shit in the other".

I just hope it doesn't get to that point because at this point in time, the only thing stopping the Chiefs from consecutive Super Bowl wins is depth at the running back position.
[Reply]
O.city 02:46 PM 09-16-2020
Gore's pretty much the living embodiment of 'meh'.

He's been under 4 YPC over his last 1,100 rushing attempts and he ain't getting younger.

I'm completely in favor of lousy teams continuing to feed him carries because I get a kick out of that dude still playing football after 20 years and a slew of significant injuries.

I'm fine with Williams, but they want a competent back up. There you go.
[Reply]
staylor26 02:59 PM 09-16-2020
McGahee was the one who's knee went 'splodey in the bowl game, right?
Yup. Those guys had some bad luck in college. His injury was worse, and he moreso would’ve had a totally different NFL career.

But Gore was even better before his IMO.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:42 PM 09-16-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Well, Williams best 40 time was 4.72 while Gore was a 4.5 guy, so there's that.

I do not understand why anyone thinks anything of Darrel Williams. He's a slow, lumbering guy that isn't shifty or slippery nor has he shown any power for a man his size. If the guy was on the Raiders, Broncos or Chargers, there would be a good portion of Chiefs fans that would be laughing at the guy.

Can Andy win with Williams as his lead back? Sure, although for how long would be up for serious debate.

But this situation bears watching because unlike 2015 after Charles went down, the Chiefs do not have a sub 4.4 guy like Charcandrick West nor do they have a 225 pound slippery back with great vision and soft hands. That said, I do have more faith in Williams than I do in Darwin Award but that's like saying I've got a "Wish in one hand and shit in the other".

I just hope it doesn't get to that point because at this point in time, the only thing stopping the Chiefs from consecutive Super Bowl wins is depth at the running back position.
Really?

You're gonna give me the college 40 time of a 37 year old RB w/ the 3rd most carries in NFL history on his odometer and claim it to be remotely relevant?

I ain't saying he's good - I'm saying that he's not worse than Frank Gore, especially a Frank Gore that has no idea how to operate in this offense. This isn't a system he has any familiarity with at all. He's never had a stop in his NFL career where they used Reid's system.

He's just a complete non-starter, IMO.
[Reply]
Shoes 03:47 PM 09-16-2020
McGahee was the one who's knee went 'splodey in the bowl game, right?
The amount of times they slow-mo replayed McGahee's knee turning into a rubber band was insane. That injury is seared into my brain.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:08 PM 09-16-2020
Really?

You're gonna give me the college 40 time of a 37 year old RB w/ the 3rd most carries in NFL history on his odometer and claim it to be remotely relevant?
Nah, I should have put a smiley face next to it because I was being facetious

:-)

I ain't saying he's good - I'm saying that he's not worse than Frank Gore, especially a Frank Gore that has no idea how to operate in this offense. This isn't a system he has any familiarity with at all. He's never had a stop in his NFL career where they used Reid's system.

He's just a complete non-starter, IMO.
No, I completely agree. Dr. O's been partaking in the nitrous. :-)

In all honesty, I have no idea how or why Gore is on an NFL roster. I thought the dude was done a few teams ago.
[Reply]
htismaqe 04:09 PM 09-16-2020
It wouldn't matter how good Gore is anyway, he's currently #1 on the depth chart in NY. The guy they want to get rid of is Bell and they can't.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:12 PM 09-16-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
It wouldn't matter how good Gore is anyway, he's currently #1 on the depth chart in NY. The guy they want to get rid of is Bell and they can't.
And let's just say, for fun, the Jets offered him up for a late round 2021 pick.

Do you jump or stand pat?

I stand pat because as bad as a Williams/Thompson combo could be, Leveon Bell is a destroyer of worlds right now and I'd want nothing to do with him in my lockerrom.

He's just bad mojo.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:23 PM 09-16-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
And let's just say, for fun, the Jets offered him up for a late round 2021 pick.

Do you jump or stand pat?

I stand pat because as bad as a Williams/Thompson combo could be, Leveon Bell is a destroyer of worlds right now and I'd want nothing to do with him in my lockerrom.

He's just bad mojo.
If they cut him loose and we could get him on a vet min deal, I'd maybe pull the trigger.

The things that make CEH so dangerous in this offense are things that Bell also does well. He's good in space, very patient and has good vision. He's an excellent route-runner and has good hands. He's not as explosive as he used to be, but as a 3rd down back or emergency option, you can use him and not have to adjust your gameplan at all.

He's Shady McCoy without the ball-control issues.

Get him for free and that's a worthwhile possibility. He's not going to do anything to this lockerroom and frankly if he does, you cut his ass.

But too much of his money this year was in base salary so if you take him on, you're adding about $500K/gm against the cap. If he were all signing/roster bonus, I'd do flip a 6th/7th rounder that way because that would end up on the NYJ cap. But since he's carrying an $8.5 million guaranteed base salary this year, we're stuck with it if we trade for him (and the dead money is on OUR cap if we have to cut him).
[Reply]
htismaqe 05:44 PM 09-16-2020
It's a no for me.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 06:05 PM 09-16-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I don't care for Thompson because his ceiling is a novelty back and ST player. Him looking lost just exacerbates the problem.
I don't get it. Are there not players - especially those from small schools - who look lost as rookies but progress when given a chance against better competition and coached up?

I'm hardly a devout Thompson defender - and he made so many unforced errors last year - but I'd like to see a little bit this season before he's entirely written off.
[Reply]
penchief 06:35 PM 09-16-2020
I've had a few so I should probably refrain from posting but I'm going to post this, regardless.

This team just won a championship. Previously, both the Chiefs and Andy Reid have been labeled as chokers. I think the organization believes there is still much to prove. If they perceive that a weakness exists at RB, I think they would do whatever is necessary to fill that hole.

I personally side with those who think we need to do something to improve our RB situation. But because I also believe that Reid and Veach are not to content to rest on their laurels, they will do whatever is necessary if something needs to be done.

Whether that means they are content with Williams, Thompson, and Washington, or not, I have no idea. But I feel confident that they will do whatever it is that they think will lead to another championship.
[Reply]
penchief 06:44 PM 09-16-2020
Originally Posted by penchief:
I've had a few so I should probably refrain from posting but I'm going to post this, regardless.

This team just won a championship. Previously, both the Chiefs and Andy Reid have been labeled as chokers. I think the organization believes there is still much to prove. If they perceive that a weakness exists at RB, I think they would do whatever is necessary to fill that hole.

I personally side with those who think we need to do something to improve our RB situation. But because I also believe that Reid and Veach are not to content to rest on their laurels, they will do whatever is necessary if something needs to be done.

Whether that means they are content with Williams, Thompson, and Washington, or not, I have no idea. But I feel confident that they will do whatever it is that they think will lead to another championship.
Upon reading this after posting it, I realize that I just said a lot of nothing. Please disregard.
[Reply]
RealSNR 06:44 PM 09-16-2020
I wonder what the hell was going through Adrian Peterson's mind.

Detroit's not paying him that much at all. Why would he sign there? Does he not want a Super Bowl ring or something?
[Reply]
Page 12 of 14
« First < 289101112 1314 >
Up