ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 27 of 190
« First < 172324252627 282930313777127 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>****OFFICIAL NBA Playoffs Thread****
KC_Connection 10:11 AM 08-28-2020
Have been banned from the other thread by an apparently sensitive snowflake (ironically after dozens of pages of political discussion from others) so I'll stick my thoughts on the NBA Playoffs here from now on. We needed a new thread anyway.
[Reply]
ModSocks 12:57 PM 09-18-2020
The SJW stuff is pretty overwhelming, and this coming from a guy who doesn't mind the SJW stuff.

But, as a casual fan that only tunes in for the post season, the fact that i can't read the damn Jersey name irritates me.

Yeah, i know the biggest stars, but everyone else, i need to see the name on the back to know who the fuck they are.

With out it the players feel like a bunch of fill-in NPC's.

"Oh look, there's goes #24 Equality running down the court".

It's just....idk, there's no connection there right now and the players effectively being a bunch of nameless wonders makes me lose interest fast.

Every team has a couple of "Black Lives Matter" and i'm having trouble knowing and remembering who they are.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:34 PM 09-18-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
MLB being up is an indictment on the NBA - it's a demonstration that the appetite for sports is still there and the viewership is certainly there as well.
I'm just not sure there's a correlation there because a true comparison does not exist for NBA viewership in the Fall.

And c'mon - you cited the one NFL time slot where viewership was up when at least through last nights game it had been down everywhere else. That's the kind of thing the NFL is doing right now as well and I think it's a mistake. It's excuse-making rather than a sober analysis, IMO.
I'm not seeing the NFL as being down a significant amount, anywhere. The Texans-Chiefs game was down 7% from 2019 but up 11% from 2018 and the NFL is still dominating the ratings, which are down nearly 18% overall vs. 2019.

That said - I suppose your 'seasonal' discussion could have some merit, but it's also fair to point out that NBA ratings had been falling in the spring a bit as well before really bottoming out on the re-start. I don't imagine your alone but surely that's not enough to drive a 25%+ decline.
As I mentioned earlier, it's really unfair to compare September ratings to May or June NBA ratings. Again, if the numbers are down next Spring, then the NBA will most certainly need to address the problem.

And your suggestion that it's not enough to drive a 25% decline is without a comparison. Day games, NFL and the MLB chase have all contributed to the decline.

If overall viewing is down 18%, then a 25% decline in NBA viewing isn't that big of deal, especially considering the odd timing of the games and the fact that they're playing games in the Fall, which is normally reserved for playoff baseball, college football and the NFL.

Ultimately I think it probably is a confluence of factors, but it seems very odd to me that the public face is very Baghdad Bob/Frank Drebin esque. Nothing to see here folks, all is well, move along...

I don't think that's right.
Again, we'll see. But the notion that lower NBA ratings are somehow caused by the league's SJW stance needs a true comparison, which does not exist at this point in time.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:37 PM 09-18-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
But the notion that lower NBA ratings are somehow caused by the league's SJW stance needs a true comparison, which does not exist at this point in time.
I don't disagree. I disagree w/ very little you said above, in fact.

But absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

And right now it's considered blasphemy to even consider the possibility. That's wrongheaded, IMO.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:05 PM 09-18-2020
I don't disagree. I disagree w/ very little you said above, in fact.

But absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

And right now it's considered blasphemy to even consider the possibility. That's wrongheaded, IMO.
I'm not ruling out the possibility that the SJW stuff is turning off viewers. I'm sure that it IS happening without a doubt. But it's difficult to quantify when there are so many other extenuating factors involved. Matchups are absolutely a factor in the ratings, especially given how Americans viewing habits have been changing rapidly, with more people subscribing to multiple streamers than ever before.

But as we can see, with premiere NBA matchups, the ratings have been very, very good:

https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/2...ockets-lakers/

Rockets-Lakers Game 2 delivers most-watched 2020 NBA Playoffs game

Game 2 between the Houston Rockets and Los Angeles Lakers on Sunday became the most-watched broadcast of the 2020 NBA Playoffs after generating 5.4 million viewers on ABC, according to Nielsen. The game, which saw the Lakers post a 117-109 victory over the Rockets, peaked with seven million viewers. Game 2 was the most-watched television program among adults 18-49 since the season finale of “The Masked Singer” on FOX on May 20 with 2.62 million viewers.

Prior to Game 2, the previously most-watched broadcast of the playoffs was Game 7 between the Oklahoma City Thunder and Houston Rockets on Sept. 2. The game drew an audience of 4.11 million viewers and was the most-watched broadcast since Jan. 31.

Then there's this:

��ABC's broadcast of #Lakers #Rockets GM2 on Sunday generated 5,432,000 viewers, peaking w/ 7,012,000 viewers from 1045-11PM ET. (Nielsen)

✔️Most-watched 2020 #NBAPlayoffs broadcast.

✔️Most-watched TV program in M18-34 demo since the finale of The Last Dance on ESPN (May 17). pic.twitter.com/Yt1Cy8gOkR

— Ben Cafardo (@Ben_ESPN) September 9, 2020

---
So, are the NBA's rating down because of their SJW stance or is it because the matchups haven't been appealing or because the NBA is head-to-head with the NHL, NFL and MLB for the first time in modern history or a combination of all of the above?

IMO, it's too early to draw conclusions. That said, I certainly wouldn't dismiss the notion that the SJW stance is turning off the casual viewer and maybe even some of the hardcore NBA fans as well.

But at this point in time, it's just impossible to know why the ratings haven't lived up to some people's expectations because 2020 has been such an odd year.
[Reply]
sedated 02:14 PM 09-18-2020
I dunno, I barely even notice the BLM stuff anymore. This has been my favorite NBA playoffs in quite a while, starting with the games during the day (although not everyone was working from home and could enjoy it as a poor substitute for the NCAA tournament). I must be the outlier...not that I really care :-) I watch KU football FFS.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 02:48 PM 09-18-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I'm not ruling out the possibility that the SJW stuff is turning off viewers. I'm sure that it IS happening without a doubt. But it's difficult to quantify when there are so many other extenuating factors involved. Matchups are absolutely a factor in the ratings, especially given how Americans viewing habits have been changing rapidly, with more people subscribing to multiple streamers than ever before.

But as we can see, with premiere NBA matchups, the ratings have been very, very good:

https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/2...ockets-lakers/

Rockets-Lakers Game 2 delivers most-watched 2020 NBA Playoffs game

Game 2 between the Houston Rockets and Los Angeles Lakers on Sunday became the most-watched broadcast of the 2020 NBA Playoffs after generating 5.4 million viewers on ABC, according to Nielsen. The game, which saw the Lakers post a 117-109 victory over the Rockets, peaked with seven million viewers. Game 2 was the most-watched television program among adults 18-49 since the season finale of “The Masked Singer” on FOX on May 20 with 2.62 million viewers.

Prior to Game 2, the previously most-watched broadcast of the playoffs was Game 7 between the Oklahoma City Thunder and Houston Rockets on Sept. 2. The game drew an audience of 4.11 million viewers and was the most-watched broadcast since Jan. 31.

Then there's this:

---
So, are the NBA's rating down because of their SJW stance or is it because the matchups haven't been appealing or because the NBA is head-to-head with the NHL, NFL and MLB for the first time in modern history or a combination of all of the above?

IMO, it's too early to draw conclusions. That said, I certainly wouldn't dismiss the notion that the SJW stance is turning off the casual viewer and maybe even some of the hardcore NBA fans as well.

But at this point in time, it's just impossible to know why the ratings haven't lived up to some people's expectations because 2020 has been such an odd year.
Taste is an interesting thing. I had very little interest in watching Rockets/Lakers, but I've enjoyed much of the other series. Neither of those teams does much for me. The Heat and Nuggets, OTOH, have been incredible to watch.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:00 PM 09-18-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Taste is an interesting thing. I had very little interest in watching Rockets/Lakers, but I've enjoyed much of the other series. Neither of those teams does much for me. The Heat and Nuggets, OTOH, have been incredible to watch.
The Rockets are a hard watch, man.

Rockets/Lakers is interesting from a 'basketball academic' standpoint because there's such a contrast in styles. So you watch it from a strict curiosity standpoint because you want to see if the Lakers and their length/defense approach can slow down the Rockets run and gun strategy.

Then Vogel just goes 'small' (when his guys are STILL way bigger than Houston) and just crushes 'em.

But from a strict entertainment standpoint, watching the Rockets sling the ball around the perimeter or even drive/kick is boring as hell because you KNOW they're just looking to set up a 3 ball that has maybe a 38% chance of falling. So it's just so many missed shots and a repetitive, bombs away style.

D'antoni has steered so hard into the skid with the 3-ball that even his 7 seconds or less approach has largely gone by the wayside unless it's an open 3.

And the Lakers haven't played 'pretty' basketball in their own right all season. Seeing 2 guys drag a roster full of role players to Ws through defensive execution and spurts of offense is pretty typical Vogal stuff, but not fun to watch.

Yeah, I could see how Lakers/Rockets would just be shitty to watch if you're not vested in it. Whereas the Nuggets and Heat could be fairly entertaining because of their even shot distribution and varying tendencies.

But I still think the Lakers are a damn tough matchup for the Nuggets and I'd be surprised if it even gets to 6 games.
[Reply]
sedated 03:41 PM 09-18-2020
TThen Vogel just goes 'small' (when his guys are STILL way bigger than Houston) and just crushes 'em.
Reminiscent of the Warriors doing the same in their first run and realizing their full potential. Going small has been so successful over the recent past that I'm not sure why some coaches still resist it (looking at you, Bill Self)
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:49 PM 09-18-2020
Originally Posted by sedated:
Reminiscent of the Warriors doing the same in their first run and realizing their full potential. Going small has been so successful over the recent past that I'm not sure why some coaches still resist it (looking at you, Bill Self)
Yeah but at a point it becomes like MLB's 'all or nothing' era.

Statistically, winning baseball is disregarding strikeouts and swinging for extra bases. It's an efficient offensive formula.

It's also just god-awful to watch.

So while I recognize the efficiency of teams like the Warriors - they're fun for about 8 minutes. Then the novelty wears off and you're like "oh...I guess they really ARE just going to shoot 3 pointers all day..."

What's efficient and what's aesthetically interesting/appealing are just two very different things here.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 04:32 PM 09-18-2020
The Rockets are a hard watch, man.

Rockets/Lakers is interesting from a 'basketball academic' standpoint because there's such a contrast in styles. So you watch it from a strict curiosity standpoint because you want to see if the Lakers and their length/defense approach can slow down the Rockets run and gun strategy.

Then Vogel just goes 'small' (when his guys are STILL way bigger than Houston) and just crushes 'em.

But from a strict entertainment standpoint, watching the Rockets sling the ball around the perimeter or even drive/kick is boring as hell because you KNOW they're just looking to set up a 3 ball that has maybe a 38% chance of falling. So it's just so many missed shots and a repetitive, bombs away style.

D'antoni has steered so hard into the skid with the 3-ball that even his 7 seconds or less approach has largely gone by the wayside unless it's an open 3.

And the Lakers haven't played 'pretty' basketball in their own right all season. Seeing 2 guys drag a roster full of role players to Ws through defensive execution and spurts of offense is pretty typical Vogal stuff, but not fun to watch.

Yeah, I could see how Lakers/Rockets would just be shitty to watch if you're not vested in it. Whereas the Nuggets and Heat could be fairly entertaining because of their even shot distribution and varying tendencies.

But I still think the Lakers are a damn tough matchup for the Nuggets and I'd be surprised if it even gets to 6 games.
I don't disagree one bit, but I've maintained all along that I don't see the Lakers losing much at all this postseason. Could the Heat beat them in 7? I guess. Outside of them? I don't see how it happens.
[Reply]
dirk digler 04:34 PM 09-18-2020

Statistically, winning baseball is disregarding strikeouts and swinging for extra bases. It's an efficient offensive formula.

So while I recognize the efficiency of teams like the Warriors - they're fun for about 8 minutes. Then the novelty wears off and you're like "oh...I guess they really ARE just going to shoot 3 pointers all day..."

What's efficient and what's aesthetically interesting/appealing are just two very different things here.
IMHO there is a ton of difference between what GSW does on offense compared to Houston. GSW uses alot of motion and guys are always moving (Spurs like) whereas the Rockets just camp out the 3 pt line and chuck up 3's.

I could watch those GSW games all day long and enjoy the hell out of it.
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:21 PM 09-18-2020

Originally Posted by dirk digler:
IMHO there is a ton of difference between what GSW does on offense compared to Houston. GSW uses alot of motion and guys are always moving (Spurs like) whereas the Rockets just camp out the 3 pt line and chuck up 3's.

I could watch those GSW games all day long and enjoy the hell out of it.
Agree with Dirk. Their motion and passing is really fucking good. At least pre-Durant. With Durant they were so filthy they didn’t have to worry about it as much. Motion is way different than iso.
[Reply]
dirk digler 07:33 PM 09-18-2020
Fun 1st quarter and Murray/Joker will need to keep this up for 3 more quarters
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:55 PM 09-18-2020
Lakers playing bully ball. Denver can’t do anything about it.
[Reply]
dirk digler 07:56 PM 09-18-2020
Lakers D just smothering Denver but the refs aren’t doing Denver any favors
[Reply]
Page 27 of 190
« First < 172324252627 282930313777127 > Last »
Up