ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 112 of 149
« First < 1262102108109110111112 113114115116122 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>2020 Royals Official Offseason/Season Repository
Al Bundy 09:13 AM 01-04-2020
Players start reporting Feb 12th.
New Ownership.
Spring training games begin Feb 20th against the Rangers.
[Reply]
ChiTown 12:08 PM 09-04-2020
Early opinions on the job that has been done by Mike Matheny?

Just curious what the peanut gallery thinks.
[Reply]
Fansy the Famous Bard 12:18 PM 09-04-2020
Originally Posted by ChiTown:

Haven't watched a single game. Couldn't tell ya, at this point. From the high level view

and Matheny isn't gonna change that.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 12:20 PM 09-04-2020
IMO we should hope for a draft order based on the combined 2019/20 seasons. Without combining both seasons you get a BS scenario where franchises like LAA, Washington, Boston, etc. can be in contention for a top 5 pick merely because of the ease with which they can lose more games in a shortened season. KC also would be in easier contention for the #1 overall pick if both seasons records are combined. KC would currently have the #2 pick and are barely behind Baltimore for the #1 pick by my calculation.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 12:42 PM 09-04-2020
Originally Posted by ChiTown:

Tactically, he has been better than I expected, by quite a lot.

To me, they look like a team that is playing "tight" and I don't love the fundamental defense or baserunning approaches we're seeing. Those are consistent with his time in St. Louis.

I still have questions. Not sold.

Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
IMO we should hope for a draft order based on the combined 2019/20 seasons. Without combining both seasons you get a BS scenario where franchises like LAA, Washington, Boston, etc. can be in contention for a top 5 pick merely because of the ease with which they can lose more games in a shortened season. KC also would be in easier contention for the #1 overall pick if both seasons records are combined. KC would currently have the #2 pick and are barely behind Baltimore for the #1 pick by my calculation.
I think you just hope for them to be as high as possible and for the draft to be based on this season alone. Then all you have to worry about is being worse than Baltimore this year.

Kumar Rocker is good enough for me to be cool with that.
[Reply]
BWillie 01:21 PM 09-04-2020
Resign Mondesi long term right now. He's going to be sooo cheap.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:35 PM 09-04-2020
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Kumar Rocker is good enough for me to be cool with that.
Without Rosenthal's 7 saves this year, I doubt the Royals would even be at double digit wins to this point.

How freaking scary is that?
[Reply]
Mecca 01:38 PM 09-04-2020
Here's the thing say the Royals do get Rocker, while nice they desperately need some hitting prospects sooner or later.
[Reply]
BWillie 01:40 PM 09-04-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Here's the thing say the Royals do get Rocker, while nice they desperately need some hitting prospects sooner or later.
I have no idea if Rocker is good or not. I'll leave that to you guys. What I do know is we need some bats, and we need some ready bats. Whoever the best college bat is who will be ready quickly, lets go get that guy.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 01:55 PM 09-04-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Rocker & Leiter are the top 2 prospects. I don't think you pass up one of them for a possible bat.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 02:01 PM 09-04-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I have no idea if Rocker is good or not. I'll leave that to you guys. What I do know is we need some bats, and we need some ready bats. Whoever the best college bat is who will be ready quickly, lets go get that guy.
I'd take Rocker and then take someone from our plethora of pitching prospects and trade for some bats.
[Reply]
Mecca 02:03 PM 09-04-2020
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
Rocker & Leiter are the top 2 prospects. I don't think you pass up one of them for a possible bat.
I didn't say I wouldn't, it still doesn't change though that pitching prospects are volatile and we lack hitters.
[Reply]
SithCeNtZ 03:17 PM 09-04-2020
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
I'd take Rocker and then take someone from our plethora of pitching prospects and trade for some bats.
The problem is we don't have a "plethora". People have a wildly misinformed notion of what KCs minor league system is in relation to projected talent. We have the 37th, 40th, and 84th best prospects in the game that happen to be pitchers. None of those guys are considered a sure thing(or at least as close as you can get with pitchers). Maybe that changes next year if everyone does well and people finally get to see Lacy, but as of now, we have three pitchers with top 100 value.

And here's the rub with our "draft a million pitchers and ignore hitting" strategy. You can't actually leverage our "plethora" until multiple guys come through and we build a huge advantage with our staff. But that means we have to do what we are doing with singer and bubic and when they don't turn out to be anything amazing, their value goes down. Singer is less valuable today than he was at the beginning of the season. So by the time Lacy and mystery pitcher in next year's draft actually toe the mound in a royals uniform, we might have already figured out Kowar and Lynch and Singer and Bubic are just 3/4 type starters. Or some of them get hurt, or stall in the minors. Their value isn't all that amazing. Not worthless mind you, just nothing that is a headliner in a mega deal for a big bat. And suddenly this huge amount of pitching we supposedly have to trade is gone.

At that point, even if Lacy and mystery pitcher #2 are pretty good, we still have no plan B. Salvy will be gone, Merrifield will age out, mondesi may not even be on the team. Who knows if Soler holds up. That's the other flaw here: we aren't one bat away. Even if Witt is a 5 tool stud, we still need several more good hitters. We currently have just 1 guy who isn't even a top 100 prospect who might be an above average player. Heaven help us if Witt doesn't pan out, because it just gets more ugly after that. We certainly don't have enough pitching to go acquire 5 different bats and fill a bunch of holes.

I really, really hope I'm wrong, but the only way this works is if we get unbelievable luck with our pitching and land a best in baseball type rotation because that's the only way we have a chance to be good in 5 years.
[Reply]
Jerok 03:27 PM 09-04-2020
Originally Posted by SithCeNtZ:
The problem is we don't have a "plethora". People have a wildly misinformed notion of what KCs minor league system is in relation to projected talent. We have the 37th, 40th, and 84th best prospects in the game that happen to be pitchers. None of those guys are considered a sure thing(or at least as close as you can get with pitchers). Maybe that changes next year if everyone does well and people finally get to see Lacy, but as of now, we have three pitchers with top 100 value.

And here's the rub with our "draft a million pitchers and ignore hitting" strategy. You can't actually leverage our "plethora" until multiple guys come through and we build a huge advantage with our staff. But that means we have to do what we are doing with singer and bubic and when they don't turn out to be anything amazing, their value goes down. Singer is less valuable today than he was at the beginning of the season. So by the time Lacy and mystery pitcher in next year's draft actually toe the mound in a royals uniform, we might have already figured out Kowar and Lynch and Singer and Bubic are just 3/4 type starters. Or some of them get hurt, or stall in the minors. Their value isn't all that amazing. Not worthless mind you, just nothing that is a headliner in a mega deal for a big bat. And suddenly this huge amount of pitching we supposedly have to trade is gone.

At that point, even if Lacy and mystery pitcher #2 are pretty good, we still have no plan B. Salvy will be gone, Merrifield will age out, mondesi may not even be on the team. Who knows if Soler holds up. That's the other flaw here: we aren't one bat away. Even if Witt is a 5 tool stud, we still need several more good hitters. We currently have just 1 guy who isn't even a top 100 prospect who might be an above average player. Heaven help us if Witt doesn't pan out, because it just gets more ugly after that. We certainly don't have enough pitching to go acquire 5 different bats and fill a bunch of holes.

I really, really hope I'm wrong, but the only way this works is if we get unbelievable luck with our pitching and land a best in baseball type rotation because that's the only way we have a chance to be good in 5 years.
Well aren't you a sorry, miserable lousy son of a bitch.
[Reply]
Mecca 03:28 PM 09-04-2020
Basically Dayton Moore isn't very good at his job, he caught lighting in a bottle for 2 years.
[Reply]
Mecca 03:29 PM 09-04-2020
Originally Posted by Jerok:
Well aren't you a sorry, miserable lousy son of a bitch.
He's pretty much right, we aren't sporting 8+ top 100 talents like San Diego or Chicago were during their rebuilds.
[Reply]
Page 112 of 149
« First < 1262102108109110111112 113114115116122 > Last »
Up