ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 288 of 386
« First < 188238278284285286287288 289290291292298338 > Last »
Media Center>Game of Thrones Seasons 7-8
keg in kc 02:23 PM 05-24-2017
About to hit the 5000 post mark on the old thread, the first season 7 trailer today seems like the right time to start the final Game of Thones thread.

I'm going back to the original rules pre-2015. I don't think we need supervision or bannings. Just don't be a dick. Post anything you find online that hasn't aired yet inside of spoiler tags. That's pretty much it. I think we can all handle that...

For future us, 2015 thread is here: Link
[Reply]
patteeu 08:24 AM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by lcarus:
It'd be really tough to make an ending good enough for a story with so much depth, lore, good characters. I think Martin might have realized this and thats why he hasn't finished his books. He may never finish them. The best ending might be no ending. Let people wonder forever.
I haven't even read the books and I can tell you that can't be true.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:29 AM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
The showrunners still have no idea if Tony died or not. They first said the music indicated he died, and now they just went back on it.
Bunch of chicken shits. Ohhhh we will just leave it up to the audience to figure out. Thats not acceptable. Pick a fucking ending.

In 11 days I except a messy ending. George RR Martin has been saying for decades that its going to be bittersweet. The only ending I'll find unacceptable is Cersi staying on the throne. No allies in Westeros. Not that smart. Everyone hates her but somehow she wins the GOT? Thats a BS ending.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 09:16 AM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Bunch of chicken shits. Ohhhh we will just leave it up to the audience to figure out. Thats not acceptable. Pick a ****ing ending.

In 11 days I except a messy ending. George RR Martin has been saying for decades that its going to be bittersweet. The only ending I'll find unacceptable is Cersi staying on the throne. No allies in Westeros. Not that smart. Everyone hates her but somehow she wins the GOT? Thats a BS ending.
I'm now expecting a hand-holding rush job that tries to be Breaking Bad but could feel like How I Met Your Mother. Where they hamfist characters to a pre-destined location even though the characters moved away from that destination a few seasons ago. Ah well, at least there will be an ending.

In How I Met Your Mother, they chainlinked themselves to an ending they devised in Season 2 that relied on who each character was in Season 2, the problem was, the characters all radically changed.

I'm worried we're going to get something similar, where the show tries to honor GRRM's breadcrumb outline of an ending despite the fact that the characters in the show took on a new life beyond GRRM's ASOIAF.

We'll see.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 09:17 AM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Bunch of chicken shits. Ohhhh we will just leave it up to the audience to figure out. Thats not acceptable. Pick a ****ing ending.

What's the point of saying Tony survived at this point? There's zero chance for a new show. Everyone was finally warming up to the ending because fans pieced together something coherent out of desperation. Why go back on that now for no reason?
[Reply]
Jerm 11:59 AM 05-08-2019
One thing that sticks out, esp. from last week's episode, is how shitty they've portrayed and written Euron on the show.

He's soooooo much more interesting and better in the books and way more of a good villain....not a hurr hurr one liner machine.

The TV Euron sucks.
[Reply]
Fish 12:01 PM 05-08-2019
TV Euron is the worst. Deus ex machina horny pirate.
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:02 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by Fish:
TV Euron is the worst. Deus ex machina horny pirate.
This.

So you can hit one dragon with pinpoint accuracy a bunch of times? Why not fire at both dragons at the same time?
[Reply]
Chiefspants 12:09 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by Jerm:
One thing that sticks out, esp. from last week's episode, is how shitty they've portrayed and written Euron on the show.

He's soooooo much more interesting and better in the books and way more of a good villain....not a hurr hurr one liner machine.

The TV Euron sucks.
Yep. Weakest part of the later seasons was introducing a (somehow) unbeatable antagonist out of noooowhere.

They could have easily worked him in instead of DOOORNE in Season 5. Condense Dorne by having Cersei call back Myrcella and Trystane in the opening parts of Season 5. Have Euron make an alliance with the Tyrells to re-take the Iron Islands. Have Marg send Jaime (and Bronn, since HBO loved his "Q level", to isolate Cersei and narrow Cersei's allies.

Seeing Euron as a complete (and worthy) badass in Season 5 would have been awesome and made his heel turn in Season 7 much more satisfying.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 04:41 PM 05-08-2019
Seems like they kind of forgot Davos Seasworth can sail and knows the waters around Kings Landing so well he smuggled Tyrion in.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 07:17 PM 05-08-2019
Finally saw the first four of Season 8 over the past few days. I enjoyed though I agree with some of the criticisms like it feeling rushed and a few others. But I still enjoyed it.
[Reply]
keg in kc 07:46 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Seems like they kind of forgot Davos Seasworth can sail and knows the waters around Kings Landing so well he smuggled Tyrion in.
That was before Cercei got rid of all the water and made the 'desert moat' that now surrounds the city.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 07:51 PM 05-08-2019
I'm now expecting a hand-holding rush job that tries to be Breaking Bad but could feel like How I Met Your Mother. Where they hamfist characters to a pre-destined location even though the characters moved away from that destination a few seasons ago.

In How I Met Your Mother, they chainlinked themselves to an ending they devised in Season 2 that relied on who each character was in Season 2, the problem was, the characters all radically changed.

I'm worried we're going to get something similar, where the show tries to honor GRRM's breadcrumb outline of an ending despite the fact that the characters in the show took on a new life beyond GRRM's ASOIAF.

We'll see.
Agreed. How I met your mother's finale was incredibly underrated. It was ruined by Ted and Robin's characters getting diluted for running a few seasons too long. But it also shows that much as people demand an unpredictable ending, they'll bitch when the ending isn't safe.

GoT may be rushing and hurrying to an ending. But at least they'll finish it. That's no small task.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:09 PM 05-08-2019
What's the point of saying Tony survived at this point? There's zero chance for a new show. Everyone was finally warming up to the ending because fans pieced together something coherent out of desperation. Why go back on that now for no reason?
because it was a horrible ending. We are talking about the ending. Why are you confused? Seems to be on topic.

I can handle Jon, Danerys on the throne. Danerys/Jon kid on the throne, Tyrion the product of a Targaron affair as a compromise, the new lord Bratheon are all acceptable outcomes. Even put one of those on the throne and then the last scene is Arya taking their face off.

What’s not okay is leaving it unsettled or Cersi sitting on the throne.

We’d better finally get Cleaganbowl. I’d be okay with the mountain killing the hound as long as Arya takes him down before the show ends.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:43 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Agreed. How I met your mother's finale was incredibly underrated. It was ruined by Ted and Robin's characters getting diluted for running a few seasons too long. But it also shows that much as people demand an unpredictable ending, they'll bitch when the ending isn't safe.

GoT may be rushing and hurrying to an ending. But at least they'll finish it. That's no small task.
HIMYM had the worst series finale in history. It was so bad that it ruins the show in syndication. It is truly, truly awful.

Your complaint w/ 'safe' endings here is completely inapplicable in that it the 'safe' ending was exactly what they went with and it was dogshit. Meanwhile just rolling credits after his wife dies and he says "and that kids, is how I met your mother" would've been damn risky but actually really really good.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:38 PM 05-08-2019
I watched it last night (Finally. I've been busy as fucking fuck).

It had some problems. I get it. I'm always a guy that gets taken out of stuff by ridiculousness. Rogan calls them "Cut the shit moments". There were a few...Coincidentally, the biggest one that took me out of it wasn't even mentioned here. The biggest thing that took me out of it was that there was NO FUCKING WAY they only lost half their army. Obviously the writers didn't watch E3. 80% easy.

That and all the other problems too didn't keep me from enjoying the episode. Some really powerful shit in there. I laughed my ass off in most of the feast scenes. Tourmond and the Hound had me rolling. (Favorite is: J: Vomiting isn't celebrating. T: :-) Yes it is :-))

Jamie and Brienne was compelling television. Especially Jamie leaving. Gwendoline Christie acted her ass off.

Tyrion's acting (as usual) was fucking superb. His visible discomfort with discussing treason was fine work. Same with his negotiation for surrender. Dinklage killed it.

Since everyone is bashing on the writing, last season, Dany told Varys that he needed to look her in the eyes and tell her how she's failing her people. And if he betrayed her she'd burn him. So in this episode, Varys bowed his back, looked her in the eye, told her she was making a mistake. Very overtly acknowledging their previous conversation. Then starts talking about betraying her. Pretty interesting - Varys has never stuck his neck out. Like ever. In fact, in talking to Ned, said that he never would, and yet, he's exposing himself to the torch. Somebody somewhere wrote a pretty good nuanced scene there. (Credit - New Rockstars)

Dragon scene took me out when they mounted the weapons solely on the front of the ships (LOL) but Rheagal going down was still a pretty powerful scene.

Hottits Missandei getting the head lop sucked, and I thought the oft-wooden Emilia Clarke nailed the scene.
[Reply]
Page 288 of 386
« First < 188238278284285286287288 289290291292298338 > Last »
Up