ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Nzoner's Game Room>Car help for a co-worker
luv 03:46 PM 01-20-2021
Co-worker owns a new Ford Escape. It has the auto shut off whenever she stops. However, while her foot is still on the brake, her car dies (she shouldn't have to actually restart her car whenever she stops). It's currently at the dealership, and they've had it for over 24 hours and say they can't find anything wrong with her car. Upon googling the issue, the common cause for this to happen would be a broken torque converter or low fluid level in the transmission. She's baffled as to why the dealership can't find anything wrong. Just thought I'd bring the issue to the CP mechanics.

PS. I've also seen videos and links regarding how to disable this feature. If it's doing what she says, though, she wants to find out what the issue is before disabling anything, plus she's afraid doing so would void her warranty.
[Reply]
stevieray 05:03 PM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by cooper barrett:
4.0?
4.6 l
[Reply]
Dayze 05:13 PM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by stumppy:
Can we talk to her husband?
:-)
[Reply]
TrebMaxx 05:14 PM 01-20-2021
I have a 19 Ford Ranger that has A.S.S. (auto start stop) as we call it. You can turn it off and on while operating the vehicle but the damn thing always goes back to on after you shut the truck down. There is a module to plug in to behind the switch that retains the the last setting and for the Ranger it's about 80 bucks.

As for your friend Luv I would suspect a software issue. A few of the guys on the Ranger forums I go to have had to have theirs fixed via software patch. If that dealer can't fix it tell her to try another. I think Springfield's dealer is Corwin Ford and that is where she is taking it. Maybe try Republic Ford in Republic.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 05:34 PM 01-20-2021
That ASS system looks like it sucks. Even though it's good for emissions, I would hate it.

It sounds like they are fooling the module, If it's $80 from Ford, it's probably $5 from a electronics supply store.

It's been years but Republic Ford treated me right on 5 cars and trucks, never used thier service dept.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 05:48 PM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by scho63:
1st mistake: Ford Escape

Ford is a dead and worthless car company aside from their pickup trucks. They literally have nothing and no value.

I'll come out, steal it and blowtorch it. Best move she could ever make. :-)
Not true. They're selling those vans faster than they can make them :-)
[Reply]
ljmhawk 06:04 PM 01-20-2021
the cars that shutoff at stops to me are stupid. oh hey...want to save a drop of fuel but will constantly just start your car 36748 times a day instead. dumb.
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:36 PM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
I doubt it's transmission related at all. Low ATF would cause slow or late shifts. A bad Torque converter would be wildly noticeable while driving. You'd have stalls, failed shifts etc.
It could be if the clutches in the tranny engaging are the impetus for it to switch the motor off.

As you stated it’s probably a voltage problem. Fuck all that.

That ASS system looks like it sucks. Even though it's good for emissions, I would hate it.

It sounds like they are fooling the module, If it's $80 from Ford, it's probably $5 from a electronics supply store.

It's been years but Republic Ford treated me right on 5 cars and trucks, never used thier service dept.
Dads got one on hos Silverado. It’s stupid. As a guy that’s wore out a starter or two in my day, it’s stupid.

And I’m sure it’s a high dollar bastard. It cranks fast as hell compared to my 2015 without ASS (I’m stealing that, Treb). It is pretty impressive they made it work, but I don’t want any part of it.

I’m guessing it’s a fuel mileage issue as opposed to an emissions one, but yeah. Seems like a lot of engineering for not a lot of gain.
[Reply]
Bugeater 06:40 PM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by ljmhawk:
the cars that shutoff at stops to me are stupid. oh hey...want to save a drop of fuel but will constantly just start your car 36748 times a day instead. dumb.
Especially when the bulk of engine wear occurs at startup.
[Reply]
scho63 06:57 PM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
But new Ford Bronco?
Is it a white Bronco that comes with a driver? :-)
[Reply]
scho63 06:58 PM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Not true. They're selling those vans faster than they can make them :-)
People also think McDonalds is a great night of dining out.
[Reply]
Shiver Me Timbers 07:10 PM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by ljmhawk:
I spent a ton of time in Europe 4 years back. 2 weeks every 6 weeks in spring and summer. son was racing over there and we always had rental cars. His race engineer and I used to laugh at the auto shut off. He swore up and down that it was a conspiracy brought on the masses by the greenies and the Robert Bosch company (makes auto starters).
[Reply]
RedRaider56 07:20 PM 01-20-2021
I don’t know about Fords but many cars with A.s.s. Have a separate battery for that system as they don’t want to shorten the life of the main car battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
TrebMaxx 07:28 PM 01-20-2021
The module is not a Ford part. https://www.autostopeliminator.com/c...top-eliminator

85 bucks for the Ranger. They make them for almost all makes and models including the Escape.
[Reply]
vailpass 07:36 PM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by stumppy:
Can we talk to her husband?
:-)
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up