ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: Which best describes your opinion about how the we should handle our CB needs?
Do nothing - we'll be OK with the guys we have 8 5.10%
Be opportunistic - keep eyes open for a reasonable deal, but don't do anything major 66 42.04%
Be aggressive - be willing to trade a high draft pick or a key player 62 39.49%
Go all in - be willing to trade multiple high draft picks or key players 17 10.83%
Your options suck, DaFace 4 2.55%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll
Page 7 of 8
« First < 34567 8 >
Nzoner's Game Room>How would you prefer the Chiefs handle our CB needs?
DaFace 08:57 AM 09-17-2019
Seems like there are wildly varying opinions on this, so let's see how people feel collectively.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 04:28 PM 09-17-2019
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Option 2 sounds best to me

Jones > Ramsey
I agree but lets not put names to it.
Passrush > Cornerback
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 04:31 PM 09-17-2019
Originally Posted by Jerm:
Two 1sts and something like a 4th...
Not sure if serious. If you are that would be a horrible trade for the Chiefs. That is what, if not more than, teams give up for a franchise QB.
[Reply]
DaFace 04:41 PM 09-17-2019
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
Not sure if serious. If you are that would be a horrible trade for the Chiefs. That is what, if not more than, teams give up for a franchise QB.
And the reason I keep harping on people being specific about what they want the Chiefs to do is that I think it's gonna take something on that level to get Ramsey. I just don't think he's a realistic option.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 04:47 PM 09-17-2019
Originally Posted by DaFace:
And the reason I keep harping on people being specific about what they want the Chiefs to do is that I think it's gonna take something on that level to get Ramsey. I just don't think he's a realistic option.

Per rival clubs, the asking price for Jaguars CB Jalen Ramsey is two first-round picks.

That's a starting point. And added to what it'd cost to extend Ramsey, it's a lot. But it's not totally crazy, given what Seattle got for Frank Clark and Miami got for Laremy Tunsil.

— Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) September 17, 2019

[Reply]
Easy 6 04:52 PM 09-17-2019
I agree but lets not put names to it.
Passrush > Cornerback
Fair enough
[Reply]
Jerm 04:53 PM 09-17-2019
Did you see what the Texans got for Tunsil? What about Mack?

It's not crazy at all...you're trading for arguably the best CB in the game who is 24 yrs. old. That is an insanely valuable commodity in the NFL.

And again...draft picks are just that...picks. Not a sure thing.
[Reply]
DaFace 04:55 PM 09-17-2019

It's not crazy at all...you're trading for arguably the best CB in the game who is 24 yrs. old. That is an insanely valuable commodity in the NFL.

The difference is that draft picks are cheap (in terms of salary). Ramsey is going to be expensive. If we hope to be building a dynasty here, you have to factor in salary in the value equation.
[Reply]
Jerm 04:59 PM 09-17-2019
Originally Posted by DaFace:
The difference is that draft picks are cheap (in terms of salary). Ramsey is going to be expensive. If we hope to be building a dynasty here, you have to factor in salary in the value equation.
I'm of the mind of giving Ramsey the deal, tag and trade Chris Jones to recoup some of those picks.

That's just how I'd do it...I value more having an elite guy up front and one in the back end as opposed to 2 up front.
[Reply]
jonzie04 05:02 PM 09-17-2019
Im no salary cap guru, but, with Mahomes and Jones paydays coming up,can we actually afford to keep them and sign Ramsey long term? Seems like a pretty massive Chunk of money going to Mahomes, Jones, Clark, Hill, and then Ramsey. Would be amazing to have him, but i cant see how you can pay 5 people that much money and still have a lot of money left over.
[Reply]
Wilson8 05:14 PM 09-17-2019
Originally Posted by bricks:
I say wait it out.

Don’t panic, we’re in excellent shape. Be patient and see how this defense unfolds prior to the trade deadline. Also, see what the market has to offer then and at what cost. How much does having an elite corner increase our chances of winning a superbowl? How much will that compromise our future assets? How does having an elite corner effect our salary cap situation and for future signings like Jones and Mahomes. These are questions that need to be answered prior to making that decision. Its not just about now, but also about longevity with respect to success and winning superbowls. Weigh it out first prior to making a decision.

I think Brett Veach and the Chiefs will apply that approach.

We may not need an elite corner? We may have enough to beat the Patriots as is? Why compromise your assets when you may not have to? To me, its not about having the elite corner but improving the defensive units as a whole. I think we came a long way in the secondary from last year to this year.

Think about it, we went from Steven Nelson, Orlando Scandrick, Ron Parker and Eric Murray to Bashaud Breeland, Morris Claiborne, Tyrann Mathieu and Juan Thornhill. Thats a huge improvement! But, many people are still not happy.
I completely agree with what brick says here. Our defensive backfield is much better than we were last year.

There is no need of weeping and gnashing of teeth. Our DBs aren't perfect, but they don't have to be. Our offense will score points.

Also Brett Veach is still working on moves that could improve the team.

Arizona Cardinals play Panthers, Seahawks, Bengals, and Falcons (Oct 13th) in the next 4 weeks before Patrick Peterson returns. Maybe they win one game.

NFL trade deadline is October 29th.

If the trade makes sense for KC, I still think a Patrick Peterson trade could be in our future.

Calmly sail the ship and victory will be ours. Sorry that is pretty weak but I think good things are ahead.
[Reply]
ChiefoftheKeyboard 05:20 PM 09-17-2019
Originally Posted by Wilson8:
I completely agree with what brick says here. Our defensive backfield is much better than we were last year.

There is no need of weeping and gnashing of teeth. Our DBs aren't perfect, but they don't have to be. Our offense will score points.

Also Brett Veach is still working on moves that could improve the team.

Arizona Cardinals play Panthers, Seahawks, Bengals, and Falcons (Oct 13th) in the next 4 weeks before Patrick Peterson returns. Maybe they win one game.

NFL trade deadline is October 29th.

If the trade makes sense for KC, I still think a Patrick Peterson trade could be in our future.

Calmly sail the ship and victory will be ours. Sorry that is pretty weak but I think good things are ahead.
I’d like Peterson but I’ve given up hope on that. I think as things continue to get worse in Miami Howard could end up being available. I’d give two 1s for him bc I think his contract will look a lot better with time and he has a better head on his shoulders than Ramsey.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 05:23 PM 09-17-2019

I think you meant gave for Tunsil.
Did you notice that everyone thought that with both the Tunsil and Mack trades that the teams way over paid for those players.
Passrush is more important than CB.
We don't have the cap space for all these people. This upcoming draft is deep with CB talent.
A passrushing DT like Jones is a lot more rare than a CB like Ramsey.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 05:24 PM 09-17-2019
Originally Posted by jonzie04:
Im no salary cap guru, but, with Mahomes and Jones paydays coming up,can we actually afford to keep them and sign Ramsey long term? Seems like a pretty massive Chunk of money going to Mahomes, Jones, Clark, Hill, and then Ramsey. Would be amazing to have him, but i cant see how you can pay 5 people that much money and still have a lot of money left over.
I don’t think they can without making major long term sacrifices, no.

That’s why they aren’t going to trade for him unless he’ll play under his current deal. Cause they don’t want him long term.
[Reply]
ChiefoftheKeyboard 05:27 PM 09-17-2019
I wonder where our interest in minkah stemmed from. If they were willing to give up a 1 they had to have thought he could play the outside. I’d be a fan of trying to get josh Jackson from the packers for the 9ers second round pick. Not the same impact as other guys but he’s cheap and could be ready to take a larger role by the playoffs
[Reply]
Aspengc8 05:27 PM 09-17-2019
Originally Posted by jonzie04:
Not possible without some current contract restructuring and possibly mahomes taking a team friendly deal. They are at around 24m free cap next year IIRC including the penalty carryover. They can make it work, but will require a lot of restructuring.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 8
« First < 34567 8 >
Up