ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 13
< 123 4567 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Sleep apnea
tatorhog 02:14 PM 02-24-2020
Does anybody have this? My doc is telling me I have it, and I need to go get a sleep study done. Apparently my spo2 number takes a LOT of dips with some pretty severe ones mixed in. So I thought I would ask here to see if anybody has this and if they have any advice or insight. He told me to anticipate a CPAP after I see the pulmonologist, but that's still a ways off before I can get in there.

I tried antifreeze, but that just turned my tongue a greenish color.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 03:22 PM 02-24-2020
the first night with my CPAP was the first night in MANY years I did not wake up in the middle of the night.

Which meant I did not have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Another conquest.
[Reply]
tatorhog 03:24 PM 02-24-2020
Originally Posted by BossChief:
I have SA and a CPAP. I thought I’d never be able to sleep with a mask because I’m a side sleeper, but it’s amazing. Within a week you feel better and start to be sharper. Like others have said, finding the right mask is key as it keeps the pressure constant and after the first night or 2, you won’t even feel uncomfortable putting it on to go to sleep.

All I can say is weigh your options on which machine to buy and talk to the doctor about outright buying the machine instead of making payments. Huge difference if you can just fork out a few hundred bucks.
I'm a side sleeper as well.

I visited with my doc this morning, and it does seem like there is no one-size-fits-all CPAP. Good to know that others who have been down this road can confirm that once they found the one for them, that life has gotten better (and they sleep well).
[Reply]
Frosty 03:25 PM 02-24-2020
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
the first night with my CPAP was the first night in MANY years I did not wake up in the middle of the night.

Which meant I did not have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Another conquest.
I still wake up frequently during the night even after several years with the CPAP. Sometimes it's to fiddle with the mask/hose but it's usually just because I suck at sleeping. At least now I actually feel rested on the part I do sleep. I can tell the difference big time between a nap with the mask on and one without.
[Reply]
O.city 03:25 PM 02-24-2020
Originally Posted by tatorhog:
I had tried different pillows, etc. very minimal differences, but the jaw makes sense. I'm definitely going to call my toof doc to see what he says. If I'm wrong and he doesn't have a focus on apnea, I may be shopping for one in the NEK area.
I don't know that I really know anyone in that area. I will check with a buddy that's in KC and see if he knows anyone out there that does sleep dentistry. It's kind of a niche thing.
[Reply]
Fat Elvis 03:28 PM 02-24-2020
From what I remember-my Oxygen level was down to 92%-or less- when I stopped breathing.

I started with the nasal pillow-then slept with my mouth open. Switched to a full mask. Never had an issue after that.

My Cpap
https://www.resmed.com/us/en/healthc...e-10-cpap.html

Insurance pays for much of it. Always a deductible. I am on a loaner-my first one had the motor making bad noises. Have not heard about replacement yet. It was only 2.5 years old. And have to check to see if insurance pays for repairs.

The three days without it was terrible.

The alternative is worse.

I have that CPAP machine. It is awesome.
[Reply]
Frosty 03:28 PM 02-24-2020
Originally Posted by tatorhog:
once they found the one for them
Every single "over the nose" type of mask leaked at the top of the nose and blew into my eyes. :-) I must have a weird shaped face (being a side sleeper doesn't help because the pillow pushes on the mask).
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 03:35 PM 02-24-2020
Try 3 tall JAMESONS and Dr. Pepper's (on the rocks) before bedtime and PM me your results. :-)
[Reply]
tatorhog 03:36 PM 02-24-2020
From what I remember-my Oxygen level was down to 92%-or less- when I stopped breathing.

I started with the nasal pillow-then slept with my mouth open. Switched to a full mask. Never had an issue after that.
when I did the oximeter test, I was supposed to see the pulmonologist and do the sleep study before I saw my doc again. He brought me back in today to go over my results. Doc said I was dipping below 88% a lot which is why he brought me back in early. When he made that appointment for today, I ordered a Garmin Venu, since it does spo2 and some other cool things. So I've had it for about a week now. Anyway, it was giving me some pretty low readings which I thought was in accurate since its different then shooting light into a nailbed. So I was kind of pissed I blew money on a gimmick at best, but as it turns out, it was actually err'ing in my favor. And really wasn't all that far off to be honest. So I think its a pretty decent device, much better than any fitbit I've had anyway.

I dipped below 90% like 120 times? It was some ridiculous number. Then under 80% 29 times, and my rock bottom high/low score was 61% on one particular dip. Which was the reason for coming back in. However when I go to bed and when I wake up, I'm 99-100%, according to the "official" oximeter they sent me home with. The wife says I quit breathing, for as much as 45 seconds or longer at times. And that's what she could remember, being the middle of the night and all.

And hell, I'm not even in THAT bad of shape either. I could lose 20-25, but any more than that and I look like a string bean.
[Reply]
Lex Luthor 03:37 PM 02-24-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Isn't all sleep apnea is about is sleeping on your back and having a double chin?
Nope. Obesity can make it worse, but even skinny people can have sleep apnea.
[Reply]
tatorhog 03:39 PM 02-24-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
I don't know that I really know anyone in that area. I will check with a buddy that's in KC and see if he knows anyone out there that does sleep dentistry. It's kind of a niche thing.
I'm not against going as far as KC, but Topeka, St Joe, Lawrence, etc...those would all be slightly shorter jaunts. That is, if your guy knows of a good one in the area. I appreciate you asking.
[Reply]
Hoover 03:43 PM 02-24-2020
They say most middle-age men probably have it, so don't feel ashamed, get the sleep you need!
[Reply]
tatorhog 03:44 PM 02-24-2020
Originally Posted by SuperBowl4:
Try 3 tall JAMESONS and Dr. Pepper's (on the rocks) before bedtime and PM me your results. :-)
hmm, hadn't gone the Jameson route. I did finally get around to buying a bottle of vanilla Crown to see if it was any good. Pretty tasty, and it seems to be what Nyquil wishes it was,
[Reply]
tatorhog 03:45 PM 02-24-2020
Originally Posted by Hoover:
They say most middle-age men probably have it, so don't feel ashamed, get the sleep you need!
nah, not ashamed....mostly looking to see what the ones who've gone through the set up had to say, and if they have advice or "stay away from _____" tidbits
[Reply]
JakeF 03:48 PM 02-24-2020
Sleep Apnea is the new ADD

Everyone can be diagnosed with it so the doctors can make money.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 03:50 PM 02-24-2020
Check out the other threads. Lots of first person experience and how they handled CPAP. Thousands of responses.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 13
< 123 4567 > Last »
Up