ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 38
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
Media Center>Star Wars Episode IX - SPOILER THREAD
DaneMcCloud 09:46 PM 12-17-2019
Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker had its premiere last night at the Dolby Theater in Hollywood. Non-Spoiler reviews and Twitter mentions are trickling out and they're overwhelmingly positive.

I'll be seeing the film Thursday night, 6:30pm PST but I'm not sure if I'll have time to post because we're traveling for the holidays, leaving at 4am the next morning. If I can't post Thursday evening, I'll get to it at some point over the weekend, maybe after I've seen it a second time.

It's a Spoiler thread but let's try to keep the real spoilery stuff in the Spoiler Tags through the weekend, just so we don't ruin the movie for someone that accidentally clicks on the thread.

Let's hear it! :-)
[Reply]
Sorry 02:09 PM 12-20-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
No. She had dialogue.
She had 5 words and then dead

All the fighting scenes are lackluster sans a couple
[Reply]
KC_Connection 02:10 PM 12-20-2019
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_W...ence_reception
Audience reception
Audience reception measured by scientific polling methods was highly positive.[152][153][154] Audiences randomly polled by CinemaScore on opening day gave the film an average grade of "A" on an A+ to F scale.[117][153] Surveys from SurveyMonkey and comScore's PostTrak found that 89% of audience members graded the film positively, including a rare five-star rating.[115][155][156]

User-generated scores at Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic were more negative. At Rotten Tomatoes, 43% of users rated the film 3.5 stars or higher out of a possible 5,[136] while at Metacritic, the average user score is 4.4 out of 10.[157] Audience scores found on such sites require only registration and do not ensure that contributing voters have seen the film.[158] Several reviewers speculated that coordinated vote brigading from internet groups and bots contributed to the low scores.[159][160][161] ] Quartz noted that some new accounts gave negative ratings to both The Last Jedi and Thor: Ragnarok, while Bleeding Cool stated that reviews for the latter film had tapered off but then "skyrocketed".[162][163] In response to tampering claims shortly after the film's release, a Fandango executive stated that Rotten Tomatoes detected no unusual activity on The Last Jedi aside from a noticeable "uptick in the number of written user reviews".[164][165] In 2019, a Rotten Tomatoes spokesperson stated that the film had been "seriously targeted" with a review-bombing campaign.[166]

Hmm yeah, I wonder why there was such a stark difference there between CinemaScore/Survey Monkey/PostTrak and the other user-generated scores at the prominent reviewing websites. I guess it will always just be a mystery.
[Reply]
Sorry 02:23 PM 12-20-2019
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Wow, it's almost like a small minority of people review bombed that website as they have done to countless other films they felt were too 'SJW' for them.
It def was a sjw mess.i support more inclusion but not if it results to lackluster plot devices. I did enjoy the attempt to try something original but it completely killed my interest in any of the main characters. It was better than force awakens.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 02:29 PM 12-20-2019
Originally Posted by Sorry:
It def was a sjw mess.i support more inclusion but not if it results to lackluster plot devices. I did enjoy the attempt to try something original but it completely killed my interest in any of the main characters. It was better than force awakens.
That's the problem, though. Let Rian try something original with something original, not the middle movie in a trilogy that's the back end of the Skywalker saga that spans literal generations.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 02:51 PM 12-20-2019
The problem, ultimately, is that Star Wars has such a widespread audience. Kids, casual fans, those brought up with Clone Wars/the prequels, and those that have been involved with each of the movies from the original series, and of course, those that have dived into the EU from the very beginning.

I think it means that the fanbase, as a whole, doesn't really know what it wants from a movie. People largely forgave TFA for stealing ANH because it revived the series, but the overwhelming consensus was that TLJ had to be original. It couldn't just run through the motions of ESB. Unfortunately, JJ set up all of the main storybeats to follow ESB, but I digress.

We did get something original, and the people that hated it, hated it. There are legitimate beefs about the movie, there were too many plotlines (a problem that developed solely because of the edits to Rian's script). Holdo stepping in for Leia (a problem that developed solely because of edits to Rian's script), not enough focus on Luke/Rey (a problem that developed solely because of edits to Rian's script) and Rose and Finn doing whatever those two were doing (a problem that developed solely because of edits to Rian's script).

Anywho, I think I've made my point. A lot of weird things happened between Rian's first draft, production, and the edit. I don't know who got involved or what the ideas behind the changes were, but it's always made me wonder if that's why Disney has kept Rian around since the things criticized most about TLJ were choices that were not in Rian's original script.

Astral Projection and Luke dying were always going to be divisive. When Carrie Fisher passed, I think the obvious choice was to keep Luke alive. At any rate, I love that scene with Luke - even if his ****-talking to Kylo now feels cruel thanks to JJ deciding that it was actually a dead dark lord who was responsible for every bad thing Kylo has ever done (how creative, Abrams!)
[Reply]
Setsuna 03:27 PM 12-20-2019
Just saw it. Rey is the Avatar the last force bender.
[Reply]
Gravedigger 04:54 PM 12-20-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Uhh, isn't it implied that Finn IS a force user?
He does seem to have a force connection with Rey, able to sense her in the distance. He talks throughout the film about believing in the force now after all that's happened so maybe he's the Leia of this trilogy where his force abilities are not explained until later installments. The actors have seemed less than thrilled with continuing their characters, especially Boyega, but maybe they can do a Star Wars Rebels/Clone Wars animated show diving deeper into the characters. I'm actually interested in Rey and where she goes from here. Even if they cut the majority of the characters and did a stand alone film of her rebuilding the Jedi Order or finding Jedi/Force Sensitive Padawans to train to rebuild the Jedi Order, that'd be cool. I thought Fallen Order's premise was solid about Cal Kestis rebuilding the Order, it just ended in the complete opposite direction. Maybe they'll do a KOTOR 3 eventually and do it right.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 05:11 PM 12-20-2019
Man, remember how stoked we all were at that 6 second clip where Finn ignited a lightsaber against Kylo?

Good times.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 05:35 PM 12-20-2019
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
Man, remember how stoked we all were at that 6 second clip where Finn ignited a lightsaber against Kylo?

Good times.
TFA was fine. We were all excited before and after.

TLJ reduced some of that excitement, but a lot of us were still eager for the next one.

JJ killed it DEAD. I mean he just fucked Star Wars corpse.

"Rey is a Palpatine! No explanation how! And Palpatine is BACK! No explanation how! Now look at these fucking FLYING STORMTROOPERS using BIKES WITH WHEELS when they are chasing the good guys using SPEEDERS"

"We've already removed logic from the main plot points so we've removed it from THE ENTIRE MOVIE!"

"The bad guys would win but THEY COULDN'T LIFT OFF IN TIME even though THEY'VE HAD YEARS TO DO IT and LITERALLY ALREADY SENT OUT ONE SHIP!"

"And Rey is now LITERALLY JESUS CHRIST!"

"LOOK AT THIS FUCKING CGI!"
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 06:04 PM 12-20-2019
one thing I DO enjoy are the explanations we get in the visual dictionaries

i'll post here as i find them

Knights of Ren

https://imgur.com/a/8ouGM9i

Mustafar

https://i.redd.it/i48venrjmq541.jpg

Sith SSD

https://i.redd.it/4grnfa3fqu541.jpg
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 06:15 PM 12-20-2019
Oh....this.

Originally Posted by :
Rey being Palpatine's granddaughter. Despite how ridiculous Sheev clapping cheeks sound, it isn't the main problem I have with the reveal. It is the negative buildup that makes it ridiculous. Why does Anakin's lightsaber call out to Rey if she's a Palpatine? The movie implies that she inherently is pulled towards the Dark Side and to have the Skywalker lightsaber call out to a Palpatine who is the source of the family's misery and suffering is just bad storytelling. JJ clearly wanted Rey to be a Skywalker in TFA and he should've made her so without taking the path of a cheap twist that makes no sense story-wise.

[Reply]
arrowheadnation 10:15 PM 12-20-2019
^^Hasn't it been said somewhere that JJ initially intended for her to be a Skywalker and Rian Johnson changed it.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 10:28 PM 12-20-2019
Originally Posted by arrowheadnation:
^^Hasn't it been said somewhere that JJ initially intended for her to be a Skywalker and Rian Johnson changed it.
Rian left it completely open-ended.

As it is, making her a Palpatine is just plain DUMB.

Not only is the setup not believable in the slightest, ANAKIN'S LIGHTSABER WAS CALLING TO A PALPATINE?

JJ Abrams is the biggest hack who's ever worked on popular movies.
[Reply]
Eleazar 10:39 PM 12-20-2019
I don't understand all the negativity. I'm not going to put it at the top of the list, there are some things I would change, but it wasn't a bad film overall.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:00 PM 12-20-2019
Originally Posted by Eleazar:
I don't understand all the negativity. I'm not going to put it at the top of the list, there are some things I would change, but it wasn't a bad film overall.
When films abandon logic and don't even bother to explain why characters are in a film, or how characters can be something they shouldn't be, they are bad films.

A bad film can still be entertaining.

This was like The Force Unleashed, which was horrible even by video game standards, got made into a fucking movie.

Lazy action schlock.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 38
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
Up