ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 11
« First < 34567 891011 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Marijuana use holds three-fold blood pressure death risk: study
Eleazar 09:18 AM 08-10-2017
Marijuana use holds three-fold blood pressure death risk: study
Kate Kelland | Reuters

LONDON (Reuters) - People who smoke marijuana have a three times greater risk of dying from hypertension, or high blood pressure, than those who have never used the drug, scientists said on Wednesday.

The risk grows with every year of use, they said.

The findings, from a study of some 1,200 people, could have implications in the United States among other countries. Several states have legalized marijuana and others are moving toward it. It is decriminalized in a number of other countries.

"Support for liberal marijuana use is partly due to claims that it is beneficial and possibly not harmful to health," said Barbara Yankey, who co-led the research at the school of public health at Georgia State University in the United States.

"It is important to establish whether any health benefits outweigh the potential health, social and economic risks. If marijuana use is implicated in cardiovascular diseases and deaths, then it rests on the health community and policy makers to protect the public."

Marijuana is also sometimes used for medicinal purposes, such as for glaucoma.

The study, published in the European Journal of Preventive Cardiology, was a retrospective follow-up study of 1,213 people aged 20 or above who had been involved in a large and ongoing National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. In 20052006, they were asked if they had ever used marijuana.

For Yankey's study, information on marijuana use was merged with mortality data in 2011 from the U.S. National Center for Health Statistics, and adjusted for confounding factors such as tobacco smoking and variables including sex, age and ethnicity.

The average duration of use among users of marijuana, or cannabis, was 11.5 years.

The results showed marijuana users had a 3.42-times higher risk of death from hypertension than non-users, and a 1.04 greater risk for each year of use.

There was no link between marijuana use and dying from heart or cerebrovascular diseases such as strokes.

Yankey said were limitations in the way marijuana use was assessed -- including that researchers could not be sure whether people had used the drug continuously since they first tried it.

But she said the results chimed with plausible risks, since marijuana is known to affect the cardiovascular system.

"Marijuana stimulates the sympathetic nervous system, leading to increases in heart rate, blood pressure and oxygen demand," she said.

Experts not directly involved in the study said its findings would need to be replicated, but already raised concerns.

"Despite the widely held view that cannabis is benign, this research adds to previous work suggesting otherwise," said Ian Hamilton, a lecturer in mental health at Britain's York University.

http://reut.rs/2voF62N
[Reply]
listopencil 03:02 PM 08-12-2017
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
Its as simple as this. You don't see the Jim Beam and Jack Daniels gangs battling it out on the streets for territory because they don't have to. Since alcohol is legal, if there is a dispute the court system can handle it.
...and we did see incredible violence during the Prohibition Era. Between rival gangs, as well as involving the government.
[Reply]
Trent Green GOAT 03:16 PM 08-12-2017
Originally Posted by Lex Luthor:
That makes you a shitty person.
Wasn't taking to you ding dong, otherwise I would have quoted you.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 03:17 PM 08-12-2017
Originally Posted by listopencil:
...and we did see incredible violence during the Prohibition Era. Between rival gangs, as well as involving the government.
With the exception of Maryland. The reason? The Governor of Maryland said that while prohibition was a federal law. Maryland would provide no assistance to the Prohibition officers enforcing it. The Fedgov didn't even try to enforce in Maryland.
[Reply]
BWillie 03:23 PM 08-12-2017
There is absolutely no reason Marijuana should be illegal. Especially since alcohol is waaay more harmful. And I hate Marijuana personally.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 12:18 PM 08-14-2017
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
This stupid argument just never dies.
How is that a stupid argument?

Alcohol is a pretty bad drug man. It's just used so widely used it gets downplayed but I don't see how alcohol is any better than weed. In my mind (and a lot of others) it is worse.
[Reply]
crashcourse 02:46 PM 08-14-2017
google marijuana lowers blood pressure

webMD and mayo clinic both state pot lowers blood pressure

another study designed to generate headlines and make somebody money
[Reply]
MelGrif 03:29 PM 02-26-2020
In general, marijuana is proved to be beneficial for people who fight with such diseases like cancer, dystonia, anxiety, Crohn's disease, glaucoma, etc. I know form my own experience that CBD oil works great for pain and stress relief. Of course, it is important to use only checked and safe CBD products. Personally I choose among iSum ranked hemp CBD products. But having read the OP's post, I started thinking that maybe not all researches have been conducted, and there are thing we don't know about marijuana.
[Reply]
ptlyon 03:33 PM 02-26-2020
Blow it out your ass, hippie
[Reply]
Randallflagg 04:10 PM 02-26-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Sure, but it cures cancer!

Damn, I wish someone would have told me that.... :-)

Nope...chemo and radiation for me, and everyone else who was undergoing treatment.

But seriously - let's take a look at the results of smoking weed on a regular basis 20-25 years down the road. I have a funny feeling that it won't be good...
[Reply]
Randallflagg 04:12 PM 02-26-2020
Originally Posted by MelGrif:
In general, marijuana is proved to be beneficial for people who fight with such diseases like cancer, dystonia, anxiety, Crohn's disease, glaucoma, etc. I know form my own experience that CBD oil works great for pain and stress relief. Of course, it is important to use only checked and safe CBD products. Personally I choose among iSum ranked hemp CBD products. But having read the OP's post, I started thinking that maybe not all researches have been conducted, and there are thing we don't know about marijuana.

I tried the CBD oil I picked up in Colorado a while back - did nothing, absolutely nothing - for me. Tossed it in the trash.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 04:12 PM 02-26-2020
Originally Posted by Randallflagg:
Damn, I wish someone would have told me that.... :-)

Nope...chemo and radiation for me, and everyone else who was undergoing treatment.

But seriously - let's take a look at the results of smoking weed on a regular basis 20-25 years down the road. I have a funny feeling that it won't be good...
Are you under the impression that weed hasn't been smoked for thousands of years?
[Reply]
Randallflagg 04:22 PM 02-26-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
Are you under the impression that weed hasn't been smoked for thousands of years?

...And? What's your point? Smoking weed once a week isn't the same as smoking it 3-4 times a day for years. That's the problem we are facing. Folks who are buying and smoking on a daily basis whereas before - you smoked when you were able to score - maybe on the weekends. At least that is MY experience as a youngster.

I'm willing to go on record right here and now - there WILL be problems.

Just remember this: Vaping is now verboten. It was touted as a "safe alternative" to cigarettes. Bullshit. Anything foreign that you place in the human body over a period of time will have adverse effects eventually.
[Reply]
LiveSteam 04:29 PM 02-26-2020
Originally Posted by LiveSteam:
One strand makes you larger, and one strand makes you small
And the Mexican Schwag that mother gives you, don't do anything at all
Go ask Alice, when she's ten feet tall
And if you go chasing rabbits, and
Some of my better work.
[Reply]
Bump 04:45 PM 02-26-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
:-)

Who was it that actually made that claim? Bump?
I might have said something like "weed helps with some things like sleeping and migraines" and then like the troll you are interpreted that in "HE SAID WEED CURES CANCER HAHAHA WHAT A FUCKING DUMBASS!"

You've been saying that I've said that for years and I've asked you to provide proof and you never have done that.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 04:45 PM 02-26-2020
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
Doesn't affect me. I've never tried it.

I had too many important things to accomplish in life.
You can get high and still do things you square
[Reply]
Page 7 of 11
« First < 34567 891011 >
Up