ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 11
< 123 4567 > Last »
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Marijuana use holds three-fold blood pressure death risk: study
Eleazar 09:18 AM 08-10-2017
Marijuana use holds three-fold blood pressure death risk: study
Kate Kelland | Reuters

LONDON (Reuters) - People who smoke marijuana have a three times greater risk of dying from hypertension, or high blood pressure, than those who have never used the drug, scientists said on Wednesday.

The risk grows with every year of use, they said.

The findings, from a study of some 1,200 people, could have implications in the United States among other countries. Several states have legalized marijuana and others are moving toward it. It is decriminalized in a number of other countries.

"Support for liberal marijuana use is partly due to claims that it is beneficial and possibly not harmful to health," said Barbara Yankey, who co-led the research at the school of public health at Georgia State University in the United States.

"It is important to establish whether any health benefits outweigh the potential health, social and economic risks. If marijuana use is implicated in cardiovascular diseases and deaths, then it rests on the health community and policy makers to protect the public."

Marijuana is also sometimes used for medicinal purposes, such as for glaucoma.

The study, published in the European Journal of Preventive Cardiology, was a retrospective follow-up study of 1,213 people aged 20 or above who had been involved in a large and ongoing National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. In 20052006, they were asked if they had ever used marijuana.

For Yankey's study, information on marijuana use was merged with mortality data in 2011 from the U.S. National Center for Health Statistics, and adjusted for confounding factors such as tobacco smoking and variables including sex, age and ethnicity.

The average duration of use among users of marijuana, or cannabis, was 11.5 years.

The results showed marijuana users had a 3.42-times higher risk of death from hypertension than non-users, and a 1.04 greater risk for each year of use.

There was no link between marijuana use and dying from heart or cerebrovascular diseases such as strokes.

Yankey said were limitations in the way marijuana use was assessed -- including that researchers could not be sure whether people had used the drug continuously since they first tried it.

But she said the results chimed with plausible risks, since marijuana is known to affect the cardiovascular system.

"Marijuana stimulates the sympathetic nervous system, leading to increases in heart rate, blood pressure and oxygen demand," she said.

Experts not directly involved in the study said its findings would need to be replicated, but already raised concerns.

"Despite the widely held view that cannabis is benign, this research adds to previous work suggesting otherwise," said Ian Hamilton, a lecturer in mental health at Britain's York University.

http://reut.rs/2voF62N
[Reply]
notorious 12:14 PM 08-10-2017
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
It doesn't surprise me that smoking anything would increase your blood presure. Smoke irritates the bronchioles, damages your type II alveolar cells, inhibits alpha-1 antitrypsin which allows elastases to destroy the compliance of the lung tissue, and increases the thickness of mucus. All of this reduces the efficacy of gas exchange in the lungs, which leads to hypoxia and pulmonary hypertension, i.e, high blood pressure.

A better study would compare the effects of blood pressure against a control group, smokers only, marijuana smokers only, and consumers of edibles.

As is, this reads like a science article written by someone that doesn't understand pathophysiology very well.
[Reply]
Loneiguana 12:42 PM 08-10-2017
Originally Posted by Cochise:
You guys don't seem to have noticed, but the "smoking is good" people are back from the roaring 20s, and this miracle liniment is going to cure anything that ails you.
When one of those people is around could you notify me, I really do want to finally meet one.
[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 02:52 PM 08-10-2017
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
I highly doubt Bill Gates sits around smoking pot. A "stoner"???? You cannot possibly be that stupid.

Let's talk Phelps: great swimmer. Good for him. Also a suicidal depressive who tried to kill himself, an alcoholic who hit rehab, multiple DUI, failed father, and someone who was caught butt-f***ing a tranny:
http://sandrarose.com/2015/12/michae...mpted-suicide/

So I'll state quite clearly: I've had a much more successful life than he has, other than our 400 butterfly times.
Did you not even read the link you posted, or is your reading comprehension that terrible? Phelps broke it off with the tranny after finding out he was born intersex. Keep telling yourself you're more successful than the greatest Olympian of all time though. It goes along nicely with your trolling posting style. I'm curious as to what you think you've accomplished in life that would be more successful than having the most Olympic medals of all time.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 02:58 PM 08-10-2017
Aaron Hernandez was more successful than you, Pond. Yeah he's a murderer who ended up committing suicide in prison. But you can't argue you are more successful than an NFL player.
[Reply]
listopencil 02:59 PM 08-10-2017
I wonder if it's the pot or the act of smoking it that causes the problem? It would be nice if they'd reschedule it here in the US so more studies could be done.
[Reply]
listopencil 03:01 PM 08-10-2017
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
It doesn't surprise me that smoking anything would increase your blood pressure. Smoke irritates the bronchioles, damages your type II alveolar cells, inhibits alpha-1 antitrypsin which allows elastases to destroy the compliance of the lung tissue, and increases the thickness of mucus. All of this reduces the efficacy of gas exchange in the lungs, which leads to hypoxia and pulmonary hypertension, i.e, high blood pressure.

A better study would compare the effects of blood pressure against a control group, smokers only, marijuana smokers only, and consumers of edibles.

As is, this reads like a science article written by someone that doesn't understand pathophysiology very well.
That was pretty much the first thing that popped into my head. Not with nearly as much detail or knowledge, of course, but my thinking was similar.
[Reply]
listopencil 03:03 PM 08-10-2017
Originally Posted by Cochise:
You guys don't seem to have noticed, but the "smoking is good" people are back from the roaring 20s, and this miracle liniment is going to cure anything that ails you.
The people that I know who use pot overwhelmingly prefer to vape it. But smoking it is cheaper and more convenient, so a lot of them smoke it.
[Reply]
Taco John 03:06 PM 08-10-2017
Originally Posted by listopencil:
I wonder if it's the pot or the act of smoking it that causes the problem? It would be nice if they'd reschedule it here in the US so more studies could be done.
I'd like to do more study on the effects of marijuana and beer combined with sun and grilled red meat.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 03:08 PM 08-10-2017
Originally Posted by Taco John:
I'd like to do more study on the effects of marijuana and beer combined with sun and grilled red meat.
Can't wait untill its legal man, I wont break the law anymore... But, I would rather Vape/Smoke weed than drink.......
[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 03:10 PM 08-10-2017
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
Aaron Hernandez was more successful than you, Pond. Yeah he's a murderer who ended up committing suicide in prison. But you can't argue you are more successful than an NFL player.
I could make a much better argument than you did for Phelps. Hernandez was an average player that wasn't even close to the best in his field. I am one of the top workers in my field. I have a greater net worth right now than Hernandez did at the time of his death. I also haven't murdered anyone. Just a few examples that make me better than him. I'm excited to hear your arguments over Phelps now...
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 03:10 PM 08-10-2017
Originally Posted by POND_OF_RED:
I could make a much better argument than you did for Phelps.
Perhaps you can

Originally Posted by :
Hernandez was an average player that wasn't even close to the best in his field.
Apparently not
[Reply]
listopencil 03:12 PM 08-10-2017
Originally Posted by Taco John:
I'll sign up for the grilled meat and tequila study.
[Reply]
Taco John 03:14 PM 08-10-2017
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
Can't wait untill its legal man, I wont break the law anymore... But, I would rather Vape/Smoke weed than drink.......
I live in Washington State. It's become pretty mundane over here. It's easy to forget that it's not legal in the rest of the country it's so easily accessible here. I'm not a big smoker, but occasionally on poker night or something, I'll take a hit or two. This past summer we went to the beach and I got the urge so I just walked into a local shop, bought a pot cookie, and really enjoyed the surf. It was awesome.

I don't think it's gotten out of control over here either. It's not like there are hippies vaping on every corner in my town, though I've heard it's much more out in the open in Portland.
[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 03:21 PM 08-10-2017
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
Perhaps you can

Apparently not
Yeah, you're probably right. This is a dumb argument. I just hate when PB gets on his high horse and acts like you can't be successful and smoke weed. This got out of hand though as I'm retreading my last post. I think I should get more points than Hernandez, though, for never murdering anyone. Should have just stopped when PB said he was more successful than Phelps. For some reason I always fall for his trolling.
[Reply]
fan4ever 03:22 PM 08-10-2017
This is simple to figure out; it's because of all of the salt in the preferred munchie snacks/food. You're welcome.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 11
< 123 4567 > Last »
Up