< 12
Media Center>HBO McMillions
Carlota69 02:59 PM 02-24-2020
HOLY SHIT!
Anyone watching this???

[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:03 AM 02-27-2020
Originally Posted by Talisman:
The lure of the million dollar payout had so many of them jumping in to buy a winning ticket without truly understanding the payout structure and the mob's cut. If it was a lump sum, they'd at least have some money to potentially payoff their house or buy a few nice things. The $50k per year for 20 years made for a slow trickle after everyone took their piece of the pie.

With the mob Jerry taking half pre-tax and them having to pay taxes on the full amount, they were basically coming out with around $10k a year. After paying in $50k for the opportunity to get in on the scam, it was going to take five years before they broke even. Not exactly the windfall it seemed.
They just saw $1 million and figured easy street has arrived. None of the patsies are very smart. Which is why they ended up with 10% of the money even though they were "winners" and the very public face of the scam.

And McDonalds was really stupid. You can randomize the winners and know what store it was sent to or at least what city/area of the country it should have been pulled.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:52 AM 02-27-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
They just saw $1 million and figured easy street has arrived. None of the patsies are very smart. Which is why they ended up with 10% of the money even though they were "winners" and the very public face of the scam.

And McDonalds was really stupid. You can randomize the winners and know what store it was sent to or at least what city/area of the country it should have been pulled.
Yeah. It’s remarkable how far at arms length they were.

My fat ass starts cutting million dollar checks and I’m going to know.

But the security at the place seemed bullet proof. That may have been enough for them. I’m certainly interested in how they beat it.
[Reply]
Talisman 12:15 PM 02-27-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Yeah. It’s remarkable how far at arms length they were.

My fat ass starts cutting million dollar checks and I’m going to know.
I'm guessing they basically considered it advertising cost. As soon as they launched one of the Monopoly campaigns, it was an instant sales boost, usually increasing overall sales between 2-6%.

What they should have raised an eye at, was that for a time, every single million dollar winning ticket was being turned in (outside of the one that dude flushed down the toilet). I'd think there would be some thrown away by people not realizing they had one of the two locations that was impossible to get. Or by a person who has no interest in the game and never pulled the tabs.

Originally Posted by :
But the security at the place seemed bullet proof. That may have been enough for them. I’m certainly interested in how they beat it.
Which is the part they are dangling on a stick to keep us watching. Lol.
[Reply]
Carlota69 12:37 PM 02-27-2020
Originally Posted by Talisman:
The lure of the million dollar payout had so many of them jumping in to buy a winning ticket without truly understanding the payout structure and the mob's cut. If it was a lump sum, they'd at least have some money to potentially payoff their house or buy a few nice things. The $50k per year for 20 years made for a slow trickle after everyone took their piece of the pie.

With the mob Jerry taking half pre-tax and them having to pay taxes on the full amount, they were basically coming out with around $10k a year. After paying in $50k for the opportunity to get in on the scam, it was going to take five years before they broke even. Not exactly the windfall it seemed.
Even worse than 10k...After Gloria paid the mob upfront by mortgaging her home and her house payment went up by $700 a month ($8600 for the year), and then only getting 10k? She made $1600 a year. Plus having the mob up her ass all the time?? Terrible
[Reply]
Talisman 07:44 AM 03-10-2020
Did anyone else finish this up? Seems like they could have covered everything in about 4 episodes. A lot of filler in there.

**Spoilers - if you can have those on a documentary**
The big reveal on how Jerry did it was a bit of a let down. The other security person is really going to let him take the briefcase into the bathroom? Every time? For long period of time? Did they really think that the two of them having a different combination was that great of security? Every time the case is opened the correct numbers are sitting right there in plain sight. Should have at least changed the combination each time. But I guess since it appeared sealed every time they presented it (crazy that he got a pack of those security seals) there didn't seem to be a reason to tighten security up.

Can't believe he only got 3 years. He stole $24 million worth of game pieces. And now he's making $370 monthly payments in restitution? A car payment. Well, at that rate it should only take him 5,405 years to pay it back. I'm betting his son is right. He's got money buried somewhere. That guy is way too crafty to have let it all be seized.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:18 PM 03-12-2020
It’s also in McDonalds. When they inserted the “good” game pieces into the game, they should have tracked where it was going. Which city or state. It’s shipped to Boise Idaho and someone claims to find it in South Carolina.... well that would be a red flag.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up