ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Backup QB
kccrow 04:48 PM 02-06-2020
What do you think the Chiefs will do at QB behind Mahomes?

Retain a vet?
Draft a guy in the mid rounds?

I like Washington State's Anthony Gordon in 4 if they go that route.

I do think they go with a vet though and probably re-sign Moore cheap.
[Reply]
BWillie 06:05 PM 02-06-2020
Matt Moore is just too old to retain IMO. He's going to be 36. Need to find another option. One more year of Moore isn't the end of the world, but we need a plan in place.
[Reply]
bsp4444 06:11 PM 02-06-2020
Kyle Shurmer.
They just signed him to a futures contract.
[Reply]
ntexascardfan 06:53 PM 02-06-2020
I don't think we waste any draft capitol on a QB until after the new CBA.

I've heard that they may introduce a separate QB cap. If that's the case, I think we coast until that is resolved so we know what we're working with.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:29 PM 02-06-2020
why not bring back Moore? It's not like the back-up needs to be a "back-up of the future".

So what if he's 36?

He played well. He's a smart guy. He's part of the chemistry, he and Mahomes have a rapport, there's no reason not to.

Hell, he'll probably be an offensive assistant coach here in a couple of years.
[Reply]
ntexascardfan 09:59 PM 02-06-2020
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
why not bring back Moore? It's not like the back-up needs to be a "back-up of the future".

So what if he's 36?

He played well. He's a smart guy. He's part of the chemistry, he and Mahomes have a rapport, there's no reason not to.

I like this.

I wonder if he'd be a future quarterback coach for Mahomes?
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:07 PM 02-06-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Matt Moore is just too old to retain IMO. He's going to be 36. Need to find another option. One more year of Moore isn't the end of the world, but we need a plan in place.
HEY MOTHERFUCKER! I'm 36.

Yep. Too old.

So what if he's 36?

I'll have faith in whatever they do. I was no Matt Moore fan, but he pretty much saved the season. If they dump him his heart won't be in it or his arm will be dead.
[Reply]
warpaint* 10:07 PM 02-06-2020
Henne? Did I miss something re: him as an option?
[Reply]
Chargem 02:22 AM 02-07-2020
Originally Posted by warpaint*:
Probably costs 4-5m
[Reply]
kccrow 02:27 AM 02-07-2020
Originally Posted by warpaint*:
He's an option, but both he and Moore are free agents
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:16 AM 02-07-2020
Originally Posted by kccrow:
He's an option, but both he and Moore are free agents
Moore will be cheaper.

He was also already entering coaching. Where better to stay for him than under Andy Reid?

He played well in relief. He's part of this team's chemistry.

I think Moore could stay here a year or two more, and then move into the coaching staff as that's clearly where he was heading already.

I think bringing Moore back is a no-brainer.
[Reply]
Wilson8 02:46 PM 02-07-2020
Two takes -

Old and cautious approach - Re-sign Chad Henne or Matt Moore. Henne's cap figure was $2,600,000 in 2018 and $4,100,000 in 2019. QBs that are good are going to require larger contracts to bring in. Like 2019, this approach may give us greater odds of winning if Patrick is out for a few games. Can still have a young PS QB.

Go younger and cheaper - Kyle Shurmur already signed to a futures contract. Draft QB in 4th or 5th round and/or sign CFA QB. This has the allure of developing and trading like New England did at least a couple of times. I have not looked at QBs enough to determine who might be a possibility for Chiefs. If Chiefs go this route it saves some money, but it is more dangerous in hoping a young QB can hold the fort.

I would also like the Chiefs to bring in QB Tyree Jackson to see what he can do. Buffalo Bills signed him last year but currently in XFL competing with Cardale Jones to play QB for the DC Defenders. He is still only 22 years old. He is 6-7, 250 and ran a 4.59 40. In college at Buffalo in 3 seasons, he threw for 6,999 yards, 49 TDs and ran for 757 yards and 16 TDs. If he does not work out as a QB, maybe TE, or another offensive weapon for the Chiefs.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:01 PM 02-07-2020
I think bringing in kids is great to compete, and if they beat out Moore then that's fantastic.

You KNOW Moore can hold the fort.

I don't have any earthly idea why you wouldn't bring him back.
[Reply]
Megatron96 07:18 PM 02-07-2020

So what if he's 36?

I like the idea of bringing back Moore, if he's interested. He's proven himself on the field against some solid teams.

And it's not like we're in need of finding another young QB prospect any time soon. The only point to that would be using them as capital if they pan out at all.
[Reply]
Buehler445 02:58 AM 02-08-2020
I don’t necessarily hate the idea of a Mariota if he comes in the neighborhood of vet min.
[Reply]
Up