ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 269 of 301
« First < 169219259265266267268269 270271272273279 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*** Official 2019 Kansas City Royals Repository ***
Mama Hip Rockets 08:06 AM 03-28-2019
Get the offseason thread out of here. It's on!

Opening day roster:

Catchers (2): Cam Gallagher, Martin Maldonado

Infielders (7): Hunter Dozier, Lucas Duda, Whit Merrifield, Adalberto Mondesi, Ryan O’Hearn, Chris Owings, Frank Schwindel

Outfielders (4): Alex Gordon, Terrance Gore, Billy Hamilton, Jorge Soler

Starting pitchers (3): Jakob Junis, Brad Keller, Jorge Lopez

Relief pitchers (9): Scott Barlow, Brad Boxberger, Jake Diekman, Chris Ellis, Tim Hill, Ian Kennedy, Kevin McCarthy, Wily Peralta, Kyle Zimmer

Injured list: Danny Duffy, Brian Flynn, Jesse Hahn, Salvador Perez

Suspended: Eric Skoglund
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 06:09 PM 10-24-2019
Originally Posted by DJJasonp:
Just saw the astros GM was fires over inappropriate comments. I didnt hear what they were.....but if he had any hand in draft evaluation, what an asset that is now without a job!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
He was a dick to women reporters who criticized the Osuna signing.
[Reply]
DJJasonp 06:19 PM 10-24-2019
Eh.... i keed i keed.

Someone will take a chance....

[Reply]
Deberg_1990 06:20 PM 10-24-2019
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
My stance has always been the same: baseball managers don’t matter much. Some are better developing young players. It turns out Yost was excellent st that. Kudos to him and it’s why he won when they matured.

I’m firmly in the SABR camp. Billy Beane used to say a manager is nothing more than a “production manager on a factory floor”. Blame me if the A’s stink.

I don’t know anything about aby of the candidates anyway. I do know Moore let the farm system degrade which he HAD to obsess about as it’s the lifeblood or tiny markets. Bad trades, bad signings, happen - bad farm systems can’t in KC.

We are gonna suck hard 3+ more years and the manager won’t prevent that. It will be on Dayton.
Exactly this. Put AJ Hinch on the 2019 Royals and they might win 63 games. Put Yost on the 2019 Astros and they win 107 games.
[Reply]
FringeNC 06:47 PM 10-24-2019
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
My stance has always been the same: baseball managers don’t matter much. Some are better developing young players. It turns out Yost was excellent st that. Kudos to him and it’s why he won when they matured.

I’m firmly in the SABR camp. Billy Beane used to say a manager is nothing more than a “production manager on a factory floor”. Blame me if the A’s stink.

I don’t know anything about aby of the candidates anyway. I do know Moore let the farm system degrade which he HAD to obsess about as it’s the lifeblood or tiny markets. Bad trades, bad signings, happen - bad farm systems can’t in KC.

We are gonna suck hard 3+ more years and the manager won’t prevent that. It will be on Dayton.
Yep, unlike most other sports, there is no team production synergies in baseball. It's a one on one game -- manager doesn't really matter. Hitting coach may matter more than the manager -- if plate approach can even be affected at the MLB level which is questionable.
[Reply]
MVChiefFan 08:31 PM 10-24-2019
Originally Posted by DJJasonp:
Just saw the astros GM was fires over inappropriate comments. I didnt hear what they were.....but if he had any hand in draft evaluation, what an asset that is now without a job!

Assistant GM, actually. Not sure how much of an asset he is, but sounds like a real douche canoe.
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 08:54 PM 10-24-2019
Originally Posted by MVChiefFan:
Assistant GM, actually. Not sure how much of an asset he is, but sounds like a real douche canoe.
The actual GM seems like he's trying to find the worst way possible to handle this situation.

Astros GM Jeff Luhnow was asked whether he had personally reached out to @stephapstein to apologize.
Luhnow said he’s been busy and hasn’t had the time.

Stephanie was sitting in the room.

— Hazel Mae (@thehazelmae) October 24, 2019

[Reply]
tk13 08:59 PM 10-24-2019
Originally Posted by FringeNC:
Yep, unlike most other sports, there is no team production synergies in baseball. It's a one on one game -- manager doesn't really matter. Hitting coach may matter more than the manager -- if plate approach can even be affected at the MLB level which is questionable.
I don't know if I'd go that far. I agree managers aren't important as an NFL coach, but they do matter. They have to create a clubhouse where everyone is playing together and can stick together through a long 162 game schedule. Plus there are decisions to be made about pitcher usage, etc. that are really important to keep guys fresh and not burn out your arms. There are plenty of things that can go south if a team is poorly managed.
[Reply]
dallaschiefsfan 09:08 PM 10-24-2019
Originally Posted by tk13:
I don't know if I'd go that far. I agree managers aren't important as an NFL coach, but they do matter. They have to create a clubhouse where everyone is playing together and can stick together through a long 162 game schedule. Plus there are decisions to be made about pitcher usage, etc. that are really important to keep guys fresh and not burn out your arms. There are plenty of things that can go south if a team is poorly managed.
They have long-run impact...not as much game to game impact except for the occasional tactical decision that can decide a game. They DO matter over the course of multiple seasons, for sure.
[Reply]
MVChiefFan 09:25 PM 10-24-2019
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat:
The actual GM seems like he's trying to find the worst way possible to handle this situation.

:-) Good Lord!!! What a freaking debacle! This has been mishandled with extreme precision.
[Reply]
tk13 09:31 PM 10-24-2019
Originally Posted by dallaschiefsfan:
They have long-run impact...not as much game to game impact except for the occasional tactical decision that can decide a game. They DO matter over the course of multiple seasons, for sure.
Yeah, that's exactly what I mean, especially since the next manager will be the one developing a whole slew of talented young pitchers.

I'm sure if you asked a Cubs fan who watched Kerry Wood and Mark Prior, they'd probably have a much different opinion about the impact a manager has.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 07:12 AM 10-25-2019
For subscribers to The Athletic:

There is a LONG and somewhat dry article today about the Royals’ changes to their minor league hitting development approach and staff.

Clif notes:
1) they’ve made major changes to the staff to better incorporate and communicate data gathered by analytics tools
2) they’ve raided some good organizations - including someone with experience in the Dodgers .org for hitting - to build this staff up
3) the approach they used to unlock Soler is being applied to other players

Encouraging.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:11 AM 10-25-2019
Yeah, that's exactly what I mean, especially since the next manager will be the one developing a whole slew of talented young pitchers.

I'm sure if you asked a Cubs fan who watched Kerry Wood and Mark Prior, they'd probably have a much different opinion about the impact a manager has.
We could provide you with a long list of really talented Young pitchers that Matheny ruined their arms. Managers do matter with the development of pitchers.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 08:17 AM 10-25-2019
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
We could provide you with a long list of really talented Young pitchers that Matheny ruined their arms. Managers do matter with the development of pitchers.

Going on the record, this is my main concern on Matheny too.

I was hard on Yost, but it was for the reasons that Brewers fans outlined to us when we hired him. Basically, he was bad at bullpen management and was crusty af.

We want the next manager to be able to develop young players - which is something Yost was praised for by Brewers fans. Matheny seems absolutely terrible at this, both from the mental and physical development of his young players. This is very concerning to me.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 08:30 AM 10-25-2019
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
"Everybody is screaming about firing Bob Sutton, but I, the knowledgable fan who knows more than you, knows that it doesn't matter who the Chiefs hire at defensive coordinator. You still need players to play the DC's scheme, and the Chiefs don't have them. So I'm going to point and laugh at everybody losing their minds!"

"Are you saying we should keep Bob Sutton?"

"I never said that..."

I don’t get the analogy. Everyone’s seen Bob Sutton, could supposedly make an assessment. I’ve never watched the Cards and don’t have any assessment to make on Matheny. And, I suspect, neither do the posters here.

Here’s one truism KC folks need to all agree on: trusting the BFIBS on anything is a risky scheme. A long con. A Ponzi, a parlor trick, a charade, a shell game, a 3-card monte, racket, rip off, ploy, sleight of hand, hoax, a fake, a forgery.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:34 AM 10-25-2019
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
Going on the record, this is my main concern on Matheny too.

I was hard on Yost, but it was for the reasons that Brewers fans outlined to us when we hired him. Basically, he was bad at bullpen management and was crusty af.

We want the next manager to be able to develop young players - which is something Yost was praised for by Brewers fans. Matheny seems absolutely terrible at this, both from the mental and physical development of his young players. This is very concerning to me.
He is the exact opposite. He also plays vets in front of more talented young players. Even if the vet is in his first year with the club. It was very frustrating as a fan to have an obviously more talented young player on the bench while a vet hitting .220 played. Just because the vet had earned his AB's over his career. But, if a young player got a chance, the first 0-4 night they had, back on the bench.
[Reply]
Page 269 of 301
« First < 169219259265266267268269 270271272273279 > Last »
Up