ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 166 of 301
« First < 66116156162163164165166 167168169170176216266 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*** Official 2019 Kansas City Royals Repository ***
Mama Hip Rockets 08:06 AM 03-28-2019
Get the offseason thread out of here. It's on!

Opening day roster:

Catchers (2): Cam Gallagher, Martin Maldonado

Infielders (7): Hunter Dozier, Lucas Duda, Whit Merrifield, Adalberto Mondesi, Ryan O’Hearn, Chris Owings, Frank Schwindel

Outfielders (4): Alex Gordon, Terrance Gore, Billy Hamilton, Jorge Soler

Starting pitchers (3): Jakob Junis, Brad Keller, Jorge Lopez

Relief pitchers (9): Scott Barlow, Brad Boxberger, Jake Diekman, Chris Ellis, Tim Hill, Ian Kennedy, Kevin McCarthy, Wily Peralta, Kyle Zimmer

Injured list: Danny Duffy, Brian Flynn, Jesse Hahn, Salvador Perez

Suspended: Eric Skoglund
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 09:52 PM 07-15-2019
I mean, I don’t really give a shit about losing Maldonado, but why are we trading for a 30 year old middle reliever? We’re suppose to be hoarding prospects right now.

This trade just doesn’t make sense.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 09:56 PM 07-15-2019
I assume Montgomery goes in the rotation?
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 10:01 PM 07-15-2019
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Well.. ****.

I just had 3 teams worth of Merrifield returns written out and got logged out when I went to post it.

I'll try again tomorrow.
So a MLB club has three prospect pitchers: Tom, Dick and Harry.

They're all of a similar prospect grade, all had similar levels of lifetime playing time from childhood to the current day in AAA and are all generally seen as having roughly the same likelihood of reaching the majors. They've got good fastballs and changeups and roughly all equal with the quality of their breaking pitches.

Now, for the sake of simplicity Tom, Dick and Harry are all righties.

So from a front office standpoint, what makes an organization pick Dick to be turned into a reliever while waiting to see if Tom and Harry can make the starting rotation with the major league club?
[Reply]
tk13 10:09 PM 07-15-2019
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
100%

Didn't see that move coming. I don't know what to make of that. He's not a prospect by any stretch but he is a legit MLB pitcher who has been very good the last 4 years before crashing this year. A lot of concern over only 2 years of control but there's no rule saying you can't flip Montgomery if you can turn him back into a solid pitcher.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 10:18 PM 07-15-2019
Originally Posted by tk13:
100%

Didn't see that move coming. I don't know what to make of that. He's not a prospect by any stretch but he is a legit MLB pitcher who has been very good the last 4 years before crashing this year. A lot of concern over only 2 years of control but there's no rule saying you can't flip Montgomery if you can turn him back into a solid pitcher.
My thoughts exactly. A LHP starting or swing man may have value next season.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 10:19 PM 07-15-2019
@LWorthySports: Viloria will get called up tomorrow, Dayton Moore said. They held him back from the road trip at Double-A in anticipation of the move. #Royals

@ClintScoles: Viloria was hitting .100 at the end of the game on May 9th. He has hit .357/.412/.457 in the 39 games since.

@JonHeyman: Royals will save about 400K with the Maldonado-Montgomery trade
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 10:20 PM 07-15-2019
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
He's starting Friday.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 10:43 PM 07-15-2019
Why did he go to shit this year?
[Reply]
Monkey God 10:45 PM 07-15-2019
Side note: Mike Montgomery was traded by the Royals to the Rays as part of the Shields/Davis trade. The circle is complete.
[Reply]
arrowheadnation 12:03 AM 07-16-2019
Originally Posted by Monkey God:
Side note: Mike Montgomery was traded by the Royals to the Rays as part of the Shields/Davis trade. The circle is complete.
Another little FYI, he holds the “Wade Davis” honor for the Cubs...being on the bump to record the final out of their WS win.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 06:17 AM 07-16-2019
Montgomery is potentially a league average-type starter. Which is a decent return on a one-year C signing.

If he’s any good or returns to form, they could flip him over the winter or at the deadline next year and up the return, since SP help is usually a premium.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 06:21 AM 07-16-2019
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
So a MLB club has three prospect pitchers: Tom, Dick and Harry.

They're all of a similar prospect grade, all had similar levels of lifetime playing time from childhood to the current day in AAA and are all generally seen as having roughly the same likelihood of reaching the majors. They've got good fastballs and changeups and roughly all equal with the quality of their breaking pitches.

Now, for the sake of simplicity Tom, Dick and Harry are all righties.

So from a front office standpoint, what makes an organization pick Dick to be turned into a reliever while waiting to see if Tom and Harry can make the starting rotation with the major league club?

If the grades on their stuff are the same, it would be one of a few things that sends Dick to the pen:

1) Durability. If he lacks the stamina to get through 6 innings consistently and gets hurt a lot, the pen can help with that.

2) command. If Dick’s command/control is worse than the other guys, he may work better out of the pen where he can play his stuff up and cover up some command woes.

3) Make-up. Some guys aren’t cut out to pitch out of the pen, some are better situated for it. Maybe Dick shows the aptitude. Maybe the other two don’t. If the team needs to slot an arm to the pen, that could make the decision.
[Reply]
Dartgod 07:08 AM 07-16-2019
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:

If other teams were interested, could they be looking to flip Montgomery for a prospect?
[Reply]
Why Not? 07:52 AM 07-16-2019
0 risk move. Trade a guy who wasn’t going to be here next year and honestly isn’t very good for a pitcher who can be parlayed this or next year into prospects or even prospects-ish.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 08:11 AM 07-16-2019
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
If other teams were interested, could they be looking to flip Montgomery for a prospect?

Probably would let him rebuild some value as a starter first. I’m not sure what he’s stretched out to pitch right now, but he’ll probably need some time to get ready to start.

This would be a good opportunity to bring up Staumont or Zimmer as an opener and let Montgomery piggy back as the bulk guy.
[Reply]
Page 166 of 301
« First < 66116156162163164165166 167168169170176216266 > Last »
Up