ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3450 of 3903
« First < 2450295033503400344034463447344834493450 3451345234533454346035003550 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 11:17 AM 02-24-2021
Originally Posted by louie aguiar:
So, save the good stuff for the rich folk? Why should low income get the least effective vaccine? The govt is footing the bill anyway.
Putting aside infrastructure... I suppose some of it is possible if we spend a ton on it. But the deep cold needed for storage makes that very difficult.

I'd imagine a lot of people in these areas would prefer one shot to 2 even if it's less effective. A lot of these neighborhoods are nervous about the vaccine as it is.

That's only for the US. Globally, there are tons of third world areas where Moderna and pfizer logistics have to be an absolute nightmare. For many places it might be the jnj vaccine or nothing.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:45 PM 02-24-2021
Can someone that knows more about these vaccines than I do explain to me why I should get this vaccine instead of waiting for pfizer/moderna? 66% efficacy compared to 94/95% efficacy is quite the gap.
If you have the choice of J&J vs. the others, sure, you're probably better going with the latter two. However, J&J certainly makes a big difference (I've seen evidence that its effectiveness at preventing serious illness is WAY higher than 66%), so if you're able to get that one now vs. the others in months, there's certainly an argument to be made you should just take what you can.

As for me, I'm relatively young (late 30s) and healthy, so I'm not all that worried about it for my own health. If me getting J&J helps to get more of us vaccinated sooner, that's fine by me.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:41 PM 02-24-2021
Given my age and risk group, I'll just wait for one of the traditional vaccines.
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:00 PM 02-24-2021
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
I think you will see about a 50% vaccination rate at best. Those who had the virus, most likely won’t get it. Rightfully so in my opinion. Regarding everyone else, I believe that the excitement and conversation about getting the virus reduces every day. The slow roll out is a problem in this regard. For large amounts of people who won’t even have access to it until April, May, and even June, they are going to look around and see cases and deaths being pretty minimal. By then the initial surge of momentum and excitement, combined with need, about getting the vaccine will be greatly reduced.

This seems especially likely to me because these will be the younger, healthier, and or low exposure group. If the message continues to be masks social distancing even with the vaccine, what will be their motivation? On top of that if we keep hearing about a need for boosters, which are basically a nonstarter in my view in that the vast majority won’t get them, people in those last eligible groups just aren’t going to commit to something like that in large numbers.

We should make a lunch bet, because I'd guess closer to 90 percent when all is said and done. I'm hopeful that most people will do the logic and realize that the deaths and illnesses are down because of the vaccine and so they'll want to be part of that.
[Reply]
Marcellus 03:03 PM 02-24-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
We should make a lunch bet, because I'd guess closer to 90 percent when all is said and done. I'm hopeful that most people will do the logic and realize that the deaths and illnesses are down because of the vaccine and so they'll want to be part of that.
But deaths and illness are dropping steadily now and its not because of the vaccine.
[Reply]
loochy 03:03 PM 02-24-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:

:-) WTF are you smoking? Have you been to any rural areas? Those people are NOT on board.
[Reply]
kcjayhawks5 03:06 PM 02-24-2021
Originally Posted by loochy:
:-) WTF are you smoking? Have you been to any rural areas? Those people are NOT on board.
This
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:09 PM 02-24-2021
Can someone that knows more about these vaccines than I do explain to me why I should get this vaccine instead of waiting for pfizer/moderna? 66% efficacy compared to 94/95% efficacy is quite the gap.
That's been my question as well. Right now I'd much prefer the Moderna or Pfizer.

That said, I've seen reports that say the JnJ appears to prevent death or serious illness to a similar degree, and that's the end game I really want to avoid. I don't want to get the virus at all (Moderna and Pfizer), but if I get it and am only down for a few days (JnJ), that's still a win in the big picture.

The other thing I've read is that the difference isn't that big because the JnJ tests were done when the variants were emerging. The Pfizer and Moderna tests were only battling the base virus, so they'd probably report lower success if they were testing at the same time as JnJ. The Novavax vaccine, for example, tested at 89 percent against the base virus and 49 against the South African variant if I remember right. The JnJ was lower overall and higher against the variant than Novavax, so I wonder what the Pfizer and Moderna scores are when split out like that.

All that said, I'd prefer Moderna or Pfizer right now based on what I know, but I'm not sure the JnJ is as far down the list as it seems based on those overall numbers.
[Reply]
Monticore 03:12 PM 02-24-2021
About 50% of the staff at the local nursing home doesn't want to get the vaccine ,so I think general population we might get lucky to get flu shot numbers 40%, I figure 35% because of the new technology people will be unsure of.
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:13 PM 02-24-2021
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
But deaths and illness are dropping steadily now and its not because of the vaccine.
What's causing it, then? And what caused the peak last fall? I look at Israel's numbers and I want the vaccine.

Meh, they talk a big game, but at the end of the day they'll be there with their sleeves rolled up complaining about big government.
[Reply]
R Clark 03:25 PM 02-24-2021
I am only 61 but was able to get vaccinated today because no one showed up .I live in a small rural area .
[Reply]
IA_Chiefs_fan 04:10 PM 02-24-2021
I just got poked.
A small town in northern Missouri has a bunch of extra Pfizer doses and they're sticking people today and tomorrow. It was the National Guard organizing it and they guarantee the follow up doses in three weeks. One big step closer to a normal life for my wife and me.
[Reply]
Marcellus 04:16 PM 02-24-2021
My daughter just text me, she had gotten her first vaccine shot Friday though her job, and now has tested positive today for covid. Her live in boyfriend tested positive over the weekend so she went Monday and got tested.

She has mild symptoms but doesn't know if its from the vaccine or covid.
[Reply]
R Clark 04:26 PM 02-24-2021
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
My daughter just text me, she had gotten her first vaccine shot Friday though her job, and now has tested positive today for covid. Her live in boyfriend tested positive over the weekend so she went Monday and got tested.

She has mild symptoms but doesn't know if its from the vaccine or covid.
What vaccine did she get?
[Reply]
Marcellus 04:37 PM 02-24-2021
Originally Posted by R Clark:
What vaccine did she get?
Moderna.
[Reply]
Page 3450 of 3903
« First < 2450295033503400344034463447344834493450 3451345234533454346035003550 > Last »
Up