ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 109 of 361
« First < 95999105106107108109 110111112113119159209 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Space Exploration megathread
DaFace 09:40 AM 06-01-2014
Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

Spoiler!

How to Watch a Live Launch
Spoiler!

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Sully 08:47 PM 02-06-2018
Originally Posted by Chitownchiefsfan:
This should go without saying but never go on Twitter to see what people are saying.

People who have no idea how the space industry works ( I barely have a grasp on any of it) bitching about there being a car in space.
I have no idea how the space industry works. Twll me what the argument is.
(For me, it just looks cool as hell)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
[Reply]
DaFace 09:26 PM 02-06-2018
Originally Posted by Sully:
I have no idea how the space industry works. Twll me what the argument is.
(For me, it just looks cool as hell)

The argument for using a car?

The launch was way too risky to put anything of value on it. They need something to simulate the weight of a satellite being launched. They have a choice: a block of metal or something that looks cool.

They chose the cool-looking thing.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:36 PM 02-06-2018
Originally Posted by DaFace:

The launch was way too risky to put anything of value on it. They need something to simulate the weight of a satellite being launched. They have a choice: a block of metal or something that looks cool.

That's a tax write-off..
[Reply]
threebag 09:39 PM 02-06-2018
It was fucking awesome!!!
[Reply]
DaFace 09:51 PM 02-06-2018
With the exception of the center core (which is a sad, but not significant loss), complete and utter success today.

Third burn successful. Exceeded Mars orbit and kept going to the Asteroid Belt. pic.twitter.com/bKhRN73WHF

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) February 7, 2018

[Reply]
eDave 10:14 PM 02-06-2018
Damn. 3rd burn was visible in Phoenix. I missed it.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:24 PM 02-06-2018
In case anyone's feeling REALLY into this, they re-cut the video from today to get the right video in there for the boosters. (The live video had the same video on both sides for quite a while.) They also cut in the footage of the fairing deploy that cut out during the live feed.

[Reply]
DaFace 10:39 PM 02-06-2018
Well, it's kind of anticlimactic at this point, but Paz is on the clock. Back to "normal" launches for a while. :-)
[Reply]
Sully 10:42 PM 02-06-2018

What's the argument against? And what's the "space industry" angle of the argument?

[Reply]
DaFace 10:47 PM 02-06-2018
What's the argument against? And what's the "space industry" angle of the argument?

I haven't dug into it much, but my guess it's just stupid people talking about polluting space or whatever. That or they're saying it was a waste of a mission that should have had some science on it. :-)

I read his comment as "people who don't know how the industry works don't realize that space is big and that this isn't cluttering anything up."
[Reply]
Sully 10:52 PM 02-06-2018
I haven't dug into it much, but my guess it's just stupid people talking about polluting space or whatever. That or they're saying it was a waste of a mission that should have had some science on it. :-)

I read his comment as "people who don't know how the industry works don't realize that space is big and that this isn't cluttering anything up."
Oh. So this thing isnt coming back? Because I kept thinking how badass it would be to drive a car around town that had been to space.

[Reply]
DaFace 10:57 PM 02-06-2018
Oh. So this thing isnt coming back? Because I kept thinking how badass it would be to drive a car around town that had been to space.

Nah. It'll most likely float around in space for millions (billions?) of years.
[Reply]
eDave 02:45 AM 02-07-2018
SpaceX’s Falcon Heavy launch was YouTube’s second biggest live stream ever:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/6/16...-stream-record
[Reply]
Hoover 02:49 AM 02-07-2018
I made my staff stop and watch this shit.

LOL humor the old man!
[Reply]
eDave 02-07-2018, 03:28 AM
This message has been deleted by eDave.
aturnis 03:36 AM 02-07-2018
Has anyone posted this yet? Love it. Computer chip onboard with the inscription "*Made on Earth buy humans*".

https://www.instagram.com/p/Be31IJxgOoK/
[Reply]
Page 109 of 361
« First < 95999105106107108109 110111112113119159209 > Last »
Up