ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 9
« First < 56789
Nzoner's Game Room>2020 Health, Fitness And Weight Loss
philfree 08:38 PM 01-03-2020
It's that time again. Time to evaluate ones health status and begin a healthy life process for the new year and beyond. With hindsight 50/50 and the odds being 20/20 I'm in search of a plan.

I have all the tools at home(weights, treadmill etc) to do the work and I've used it all successfully in the past. I'm just not sure I want to go that route again. Or at least I need a new toy to get motivated. I've been eyeing the Bowflex Max. Does anyone have any experience or feedback on the Max?
[Reply]
Dallas Chief 11:03 AM 03-29-2020
I’ve been back on the running pretty heavily at about 30 miles per week. Ran a 6:06 mile at a time trial event at my son’s school a few weeks back. Fastest mile I’ve run in at least 25 years. Tweaked my weekly training for it about 3 weeks out. Not bad for 6ft and 190#.Those 50# I’ve put on since running in college are a real bastard to get rid of!

Next goal is a sub 20 min 5k. Will probably have to do that on my own since all road races down here are cancelled for the foreseeable future.
[Reply]
philfree 01:07 PM 03-29-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Good work Phil.
Thanks. It looks like I'm not the only one doing the work.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 04:52 PM 05-20-2020
Fuck it. I'm going back to the gym tonight I'll go late so nobody else will be there and disinfect the shit out of the equipment I use. That should prevent me from getting it at the gym.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 05:24 PM 05-20-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
**** it. I'm going back to the gym tonight I'll go late so nobody else will be there and disinfect the shit out of the equipment I use. That should prevent me from getting it at the gym.
Dude, you've survived AIDS you can survive this!
[Reply]
KCUnited 03:27 PM 08-02-2020
Talk to me about garage gym flooring. I've managed to free up a 10' x 10' space in a detached garage to build out a home gym. Not a ton of space but thinking bench + weights and whatever crossfit shit my wife is into.

Its a concrete floor that I'd like to maintain. Is there a certain x inch thick flooring that's standard for dropping x lbs of weight without tearing and damaging the floor? Certain preferred brands? Known pitfalls to avoid?
[Reply]
Bearcat 04:09 PM 08-02-2020
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Talk to me about garage gym flooring. I've managed to free up a 10' x 10' space in a detached garage to build out a home gym. Not a ton of space but thinking bench + weights and whatever crossfit shit my wife is into.

Its a concrete floor that I'd like to maintain. Is there a certain x inch thick flooring that's standard for dropping x lbs of weight without tearing and damaging the floor? Certain preferred brands? Known pitfalls to avoid?
Beyond the flooring itself, these have worked great for me.... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074DSJLLY

Purchased about 2 years ago and no issues with wear or tear.... granted, I could definitely use the space more often than I do.

My 2¢ on equipment... consider a power stand if you have the vertical space, unless maybe you're lew and bench Volkswagens in your sleep.

[Reply]
Brody Wa 03:55 AM 08-08-2020
I haven’t been to gym since March because all of them are closed! Have the gyms in the KC area been open the whole time since COVID-19 has been around?
[Reply]
ChiefsNWildcats 05:40 AM 08-08-2020
Originally Posted by KCUnited:

Go to Tractor Supply or Orcheln's and buy horse stall mats. I've read online they are great for gym flooring.
[Reply]
KCUnited 06:04 AM 08-08-2020
Originally Posted by ChiefsNWildcats:
Go to Tractor Supply or Orcheln's and buy horse stall mats. I've read online they are great for gym flooring.
Read the same and this is what I wound up doing. We didn't have a Tractor Supply store but I was able to find a guy on craigslist selling the same horse stall mats.
[Reply]
olout 05-07-2021, 09:54 AM
This message has been deleted by DaFace. Reason: spam
htismaqe 10:02 AM 05-07-2021
Originally Posted by olout:
First thing to do is to try eating 1300-1500 calories a day or you will pass out. Second it’s 80% of weight loss is diet 20% is working out. Everyone says this but just eat small healthy meals. For me counting calories is super stressful. I just watch what I eat and how much
It's much easier to control caloric intake by moving away from calorie-rich simple foods.

Eliminate sugars and starches, incorporate extra protein - you'll find yourself controlling calories by default because protein is harder to break down so it sticks with you longer and high protein foods are lower in calories than carbs or fats to begin with.
[Reply]
TLO 02:45 PM 05-18-2021
Originally Posted by olout:
First thing to do is to try eating 1300-1500 calories a day or you will pass out. Second it’s 80% of weight loss is diet 20% is working out. Everyone says this but just eat small healthy meals. For me counting calories is super stressful. I just watch what I eat and how much. Cardio workouts by https://careyourbodynow.com/7-belly-...an-do-at-home/ also help
Die
[Reply]
ijack 03:02 PM 05-08-2022
Eating clean is the only way to go
[Reply]
alicestevens 05-08-2022, 03:07 PM
This message has been deleted by Bearcat.
Titty Meat 03:51 PM 05-08-2022
Originally Posted by ijack:
Eating clean is the only way to go
Is there a reason your dumbass bumped a 2 year old thread?
[Reply]
BigOlChiefsfan 03:51 PM 05-10-2022
This may be a bit long-winded. Sorry about that. I used to smoke 2 packs a day. Finally realized it was killing me, and tried to quit - promptly gained 30 lbs, started smoking. Quit again, gained another 30 lbs, started smoking. The third time was the charm - I quit, for good - but WTF? I was 315 lbs, with COPD and diabetes. I put on my walking shoes, and started walking an hour or more per day. Bought 20 lbs of pinto beans and split peas (because I like 'em) and triple-bagged the beans/peas, put 'em in my backpack, added a waterbottle and started 'rucking' (walking while you wear a weighted backpack). The calorie burn goes up w/the weight, next thing I know I'm dropping a lot of lard. I wasn't 'eating right' really, just eating less and for a while that worked. Then I started logging my daily intake/exercise and so on at this free website:
https://www.myfitnesspal.com/
I noticed I was not getting enough fiber - that 30 grams a day takes some planning, so I started eating a high-fiber protein bar from costco -Kirkland protein bars, they come 20 in a pack, 2 flavors, 2 packs available = 4 different flavors. Gotta get 'em at Costco, but they have 10 grams of fiber per bar - so that and lots of black coffee = breakfast. Taco Bell for lunch - cheesey bean & rice burrito and their potato soft taco = $2/and you've got 9 grams of fiber between 'em, ~ 600 calories for the combo. I usually eat a banana a day (potassium is good for what ails me) and a small avocado every other day (250 calories, 10 grams of fiber, more potassium. No kidding, a ripe avocado serves as my 'treat' du jour. I make it a point to walk 20-30 minutes daily - at my age that's enough. I keep dumb bells here by the computer, and some 'straps' and a pair of 'indian clubs' and I use 'em all, daily, another 15-20 minutes between 'em. they burn a few calories, but they really keep my upper body 'mobile'. Here's some info on the clubs - a couple of hammers work as a good substitute or a pair of firewood clubs

https://www.onnit.com/academy/a-begi...-indian-clubs/

I also use a couple of medium kettlebells, 10-20 minutes 3 days a week.
https://www.setforset.com/products/kettlebell

To sum up - I had a stroke a while back, but I don't smoke and over the years I've lost 85 of the 100 lbs I gained while quitting and I'm still working on losing that last 15 lbs. I just bought a pushmower this week, and have been pushmowing an hour daily (no engine on the mower - an old 'man-powered reel mower') I figure I burn 450-600 calories per day mowing this way - but it's kicking my butt. COPD is no joke, even tho' it's a lot more 'liveable' 85 lbs lighter. I found out this year that I have epilepsy. Not good news, but explains a few things that have happened in the past 6 years or so - when you may have noticed I wasn't around. This is why. The meds they've put me on seems to help - I'm thinking mo' bettah, I focus on that diet, weight loss and mild work outs and intend to lose that final 15 lbs so I can brag about losing 100 f**king lbs and I intend to be a PITA but my friends are used to that sort of thing. Not a big issue. Eating better - the longer I go 'no sugar /good fats only' the easier it seems to be. I no longer have 'cravings' for crap that's not good for me. I eat a banana or an avocado, or a tin of herring (all on my 'good for me' list) instead, and thank my lucky stars that I'm still here. Luck to all y'all - and go CHIEFS!
[Reply]
DRU 10:23 PM 08-01-2022
5'9", 190 lbs with 23%+ body fat as of 81 days ago. Turned 40 and decided it was time.

Counting calories is the best thing that works for me. I use MyFitnessPal with my lifestyle set to sedentary.

With my age, height, and weight my BMR calculates to ~1,752 calories/day. As such, with a goal of losing 2 lbs per week I set my daily NET calorie goal in MFP to 1,500 calories/day. Working out earns me more calories to eat more food.

I can eat ANYTHING I want as long as I stay within my net calorie budget. If I want to eat something and I don't have enough calories left, I have to go do some sort of workout to earn those calories (or don't eat that thing.)

I use a Polar H10 heart rate monitor with the Polar Beat app to calculate calories burned. The H10 itself is considered one of the most accurate HR monitors available. Then it depends on what app you load that HR data into and what algorithm it uses whether or not you get relatively accurate calories burned results back.

I compared the Polar Beat app to 2 other HR / calorie burn devices, and the other 2 were telling me I burned around 1k calories after the same workout where the Polar Beat app tells me I only burned 500 - 600 calories. That felt more realistic, so I stuck with the Beat app.

Workouts consist of some mix of the following every single day:

* Quest 2 VR Headset

* Supernatural - Very cool workout VR experience. Makes it fun, keeps it fresh, and I have had many experiences of the natural "high" you get from working out to the point where I was teary eyed and vocalizing. I think that just comes with getting in shape and being healthy.

* The Thrill of the Fight - Think Tyson's Punch Out, but you're the little guy. This thing is awesome, fun, gets your adrenaline pumping, and burns lots of calories.

* Mountain Biking

* Yoga

* MyFitnessPal Plans - These are built in workout plans (premium upgrade). I've been doing beginner bodyweight and Yoga workouts.

As of today I weigh 166.2 lbs with 18% body fat and I'm officially in the "normal" range instead of "overweight" on BMI metrics.

I feel better than I've felt since high school. I'm flexible. I have strength. I don't have to pull my seatbelt forward and then around me...I can just go straight to the buckle, no problem.

I was diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis years ago. You get these white blood cells (eosonophils) in your esophagus which aren't supposed to be there. It causes the muscle to stop working, and the "swallow" just stops working. This results in food compaction, where the food just sits inside the throat. Water doesn't help, it sits on top and makes it worse. You just have to wait until either slowly makes its way through or comes back up. The whole episode sucks and could last a few seconds or hours. They don't really understand why it happens and they don't have any good remedies.

I used to have episodes every few days, at least. I haven't had one in about 70 days now. So just about 11 days into this thing I stopped having those episodes. Just an interesting side note.

One thing I'm going to add is a high protein goal. I've been reading how this will put me in an anabolic state to build muscle while at the same time maintaining my calorie deciciency and losing weight / burning fat.

The goal is to get to about 15% body fat which whould put me around 155 lbs. Then I can give myself a big calorie budget raise (eat more food!) and continue what I'm doing with some more bodyweight workouts to build muscle and stay lean.

I'm energized, and I'm loving it. This feels sustainable.

I used to eat 3 days worth of food in 1 sitting...3 or 4 times per day. LOL That's insane!

Doing this, and still eating whatever I want but doing it on a budget, has allowed me to naturally find high volume (filling), low calorie meals, and they're just as delicious as the other garbage I was eating all the time, and without all the hassle of eating that garbage.

Here's to health and happiness!
[Reply]
Page 9 of 9
« First < 56789
Up