ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 203 of 361
« First < 103153193199200201202203 204205206207213253303 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Space Exploration megathread
DaFace 09:40 AM 06-01-2014
Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

Spoiler!

How to Watch a Live Launch
Spoiler!

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

[Reply]
MagicHef 01:19 PM 06-05-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
4 months? Holy cow! That's nearly 31,000 miles per hour.
You have to go nearly that fast just to escape the Earth's gravity. Apollo 11 was around 25,000 mph.
[Reply]
treeguy27 01:45 PM 06-05-2020
I don't think he's too off the mark in terms of cargo but a manned mission to Mars in 2024?

Has Space X even built whatever ship is taking the astronauts on their 18 month journey?

Won't they need a ship in orbit and a lander, too?
I'm pretty sure "Starship" is being designed just like the Falcon 9, in that it can use it's engines to descend to the surface and land upright. Then it will take back off vertically to head back.
[Reply]
Donger 01:55 PM 06-05-2020
For those interested. I didn't realize that they were planning on 100% Mars-generated fuel for the return.

https://www.spacex.com/human-spaceflight/mars/
[Reply]
MagicHef 02:13 PM 06-05-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
For those interested. I didn't realize that they were planning on 100% Mars-generated fuel for the return.

https://www.spacex.com/human-spaceflight/mars/
Yep, that's why the Raptor engine is so important, methane can be made on Mars. The flying water tower last year was the first time ever that a methane full flow staged combustion engine took flight.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:27 PM 06-05-2020

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:44 PM 06-05-2020
Originally Posted by MagicHef:
You have to go nearly that fast just to escape the Earth's gravity. Apollo 11 was around 25,000 mph.
Right, and I fully understand the physics of breaking out of the Earth's orbit.

I just had no idea that science and technology are at the point where it's possible to reach Mars in 4 months.

With that being the case, I would imagine that the commute to Mars will take a week or less before the end of this century.

Is interstellar travel that far behind?
[Reply]
Dartgod 04:52 PM 06-05-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Florida from the space station
Who are all those people in your back yard?
[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:58 PM 06-05-2020
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
Who are all those people in your back yard?
Mainly Cubans and snowbirds from NY? :-)
[Reply]
Bowser 05:42 PM 06-05-2020
Right, and I fully understand the physics of breaking out of the Earth's orbit.

I just had no idea that science and technology are at the point where it's possible to reach Mars in 4 months.

With that being the case, I would imagine that the commute to Mars will take a week or less before the end of this century.

Is interstellar travel that far behind?
IIRC, someone posted a vid about how we have nearly perfected ion propulsion a while back. I'll see if I can dig the vid up.
[Reply]
Bowser 05:47 PM 06-05-2020
Here you go

[Reply]
Bowser 06:02 PM 06-05-2020
And just for shits and grins

[Reply]
Fish 11:05 PM 06-05-2020
Originally Posted by Bowser:
And just for shits and grins

Unfortunately, actual humans would be very sadly incapable of that travel. It would kill them pretty quickly because of hydrogen itself.

Originally Posted by :
Trouble is, traveling close to the speed of light brings about other effects, too. In Natural Science, Edelstein and Edelstein point out that hydrogen in any craft cable of traveling at the speed of light would also prevent it from traveling at the speed of light. They explain:

Unfortunately, as spaceship velocities approach the speed of light, interstellar hydrogen H, although only present at a density of approximately 1.8 atoms/cm3, turns into intense radiation that would quickly kill passengers and destroy electronic instrumentation. In addition, the energy loss of ionizing radiation passing through the ship's hull represents an increasing heat load that necessitates large expenditures of energy to cool the ship.

In other words, travel close to the speed of light and you'll be bombarded with so much radiation that you kick the bucket. The knock-on effect is that even if it's possible to create a craft capable of traveling close the speed of light, it wouldn't be able to transport people.

Instead, there's a natural speed limit imposed by safe levels of radiation due to hydrogen, which means humans couldn't travel faster than half the speed of light unless they were willing to die almost immediately. Dammit.

https://gizmodo.com/super-fast-space...inutes-5957697

[Reply]
Bowser 11:25 PM 06-05-2020

[Reply]
DaFace 08:46 PM 06-10-2020
If any night owls are interested RocketLab has a NASA launch tonight at 11:25pm (with a 2-hour launch window). It's a tiny little rocket, but still fun to watch.

Here's the official stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zzu7hI0ESM

And here's Tim Dodd's hosted version, which I like just because he has good commentary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbUbuH7pkU0
[Reply]
DaFace 08:46 PM 06-10-2020
Also, this is super cool.

Starlink fairing deploy sequence pic.twitter.com/2aOmxWDx8w

— SpaceX (@SpaceX) June 9, 2020

[Reply]
Page 203 of 361
« First < 103153193199200201202203 204205206207213253303 > Last »
Up