Page 13 of 14
« First < 3910111213 14 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Notre Dame on fire
Rain Man 11:56 AM 04-15-2019
Not the school, but the cathedral.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/15/pari...e-reuters.html
[Reply]
ghak99 11:59 AM 04-16-2019
A forest fire of trees devoid of sap and moisture that would normally slow it down. The well dried forest was also located on top of a really nice draft to feed it large amounts of oxygen from below. I have no idea how those windows survived based on the flames we watched though. You would think a water source hung on the rock above them would be a wise investment.

I did have to laugh when I noticed what appear to be lit candles in that picture. Testing fate that guy was.
[Reply]
Rain Man 12:11 PM 04-16-2019
Originally Posted by Rausch:
Say what you want about the religions that build them but these types of structures always amazed me. You can marvel at the beauty of Christian, buddhist, and Islamic places of worship but when you find out just how long ago they were built your brain goes "how? How could people who didn't even have electricity do all this?"

I have the internet, books, and I'm lucky if I can replace a toilet (fuck you wax seals!)
Yeah, it's amazing what they accomplish in architecture and art. Organized religion isn't my thing, but I've got to give them the nod on that sort of thing.

And yeah, I'm the same way on the craftsmanship. I'm in awe of what people could accomplish back in the day.

On that note, did you see the new Egyptian tomb that was unveiled today? https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/e...ntl/index.html. Click the video link in the article. Those guys put on a good coat of paint to last 4,400 years.
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 12:19 PM 04-16-2019
That's what I wasn't understanding.

I'm clearly no architect or engineer but I thought most of the place was stone/granite/masonry. I can see the roof going up but how did it burn so hot and so fast?

Does old wood like that burn faster?

This is where the science bro's can help the dummies...:-)

well, in theory 800 year old wood will be a lot drier than newer wood, so that would help.
[Reply]
Rausch 12:20 PM 04-16-2019
Originally Posted by Rain Man:

On that note, did you see the new Egyptian tomb that was unveiled today? https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/e...ntl/index.html. Click the video link in the article. Those guys put on a good coat of paint to last 4,400 years.
Some rainy day when yer' bored do some reading on Hermeticism/Thoth (sp?)

Some of their belief systems were more evolved than we think.
[Reply]
Rain Man 12:25 PM 04-16-2019
Some rainy day when yer' bored do some reading on Hermeticism/Thoth (sp?)

Some of their belief systems were more evolved than we think.
I kind of like some of those old-timey religions. I bet Christianity would be more popular if God was blue or had the head of a hawk.
[Reply]
ptlyon 12:29 PM 04-16-2019
Sherwin Williams says "Nothing to see here!"
[Reply]
srvy 01:04 PM 04-16-2019
That's what I wasn't understanding.

I'm clearly no architect or engineer but I thought most of the place was stone/granite/masonry. I can see the roof going up but how did it burn so hot and so fast?

Does old wood like that burn faster?

This is where the science bro's can help the dummies...:-)
I guess it was all the timbers supporting the roof going up. Its nicknamed the forest because 52 acres of forest was cut down to construct it. I am guessing the bright orange glow was the lead roof shingling 250 tons worth was responsible for some to. I used to muzzleload and melting for casting it it puts out a bright orange glow.
[Reply]
Fish 03:18 PM 04-16-2019

[Reply]
srvy 04:09 PM 04-16-2019
Well that ain't that pretty at all with the sunlight coming thru where the roof should have been. Melted away a lot of the scafolding.

I assume the glass was leaded. All those intricate glass panels had to be attached by lead. It's a wonder it didn't melt and fall to floor.

typed with my trusty nose picker using Tapatalk
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan 06:15 PM 04-16-2019
As has been said, considering what it looked like when it was on fire, it could have been worse.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:32 AM 04-17-2019
Here's a picture that explains what happened pretty well. You can see the stone ceiling that protected the interior. The only interior damage seems to be in areas where that stone ceiling collapsed. So it looked really bad when it was on fire, but it for the most part never got inside the building. Those medieval people really knew about fire safety engineering.

[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 09:56 AM 04-17-2019
Here's a picture that explains what happened pretty well. You can see the stone ceiling that protected the interior. The only interior damage seems to be in areas where that stone ceiling collapsed. So it looked really bad when it was on fire, but it for the most part never got inside the building. Those medieval people really knew about fire safety engineering.

Pretty amazing really
[Reply]
eDave 10:27 AM 04-17-2019
I noticed that fire didn't melt the steel beams.
[Reply]
redfan 10:30 AM 04-17-2019
It's astounding how much was not affected by that fire, on video it looked like it was going to be a total loss. It's a big building, and that was a damn big fire.
[Reply]
suzzer99 11:07 AM 04-17-2019
If you ever wondered which of your FB friends have been to Paris - your prayers have been answered.
[Reply]
Page 13 of 14
« First < 3910111213 14 >
Up