ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 17
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Tiger Woods
Hamwallet 04:13 PM 03-11-2018
Anyone else watch golf for the first time in a long time today? He seems to be getting back to form. He was right in it today, next week is Bay Hill, that dude lived on the course for a LONG time.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 01:24 PM 04-07-2018
Originally Posted by GoChargers:
Other than Phil, Vijay Singh and Ernie Els, his competition was a joke. I mean, they were hyping up David Duval and Sergio Garcia as competition for Tiger.

He wouldn't be nearly as dominant if he came up in this current era.
I guess he'd only be winning tournaments by 5 shots instead of 10 then.
[Reply]
Kman34 01:35 PM 04-07-2018
Originally Posted by GoChargers:
Other than Phil, Vijay Singh and Ernie Els, his competition was a joke. I mean, they were hyping up David Duval and Sergio Garcia as competition for Tiger.

He wouldn't be nearly as dominant if he came up in this current era.
:-)....
[Reply]
Hamwallet 03:03 PM 04-07-2018
Originally Posted by 007:
thats not why I was laughing. I found the post genuinely funny.
Thanks. That was what I was going for. Let’s not be blind to the fact a half Asian half black man kicked the crap out of the entire field of white dudes in a white dominated sport. I grew up watching Tiger and it was awesome to watch. My dad bought a new set of clubs around 89’ and took his old set, the whole damn thing and hacksaw’d them in half and had grips put on. I was out there with a full bag of real clubs playing when I was 8. It was a blast.

This is my second year living 2 miles away from Augusta National and I really wanted to fly my dad down for the masters. I make pretty good money but a single day ticket is $2,500 with my discount through work. So that’s 5 grand for the both of us for one day. He knows that, and if I spent that much he would knock my ass out as soon as I picked him up from the airport.
[Reply]
O.city 06:52 PM 04-07-2018
https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/s...475824128?s=21
[Reply]
KCTitus 07:39 PM 04-07-2018
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
He’s the only person that makes golf relevant.
Golf has been around longer than any of the other major sports in the United States...why is it that he made golf 'relevant'? The game pre dates Tiger. Its curious why he had such an impact on the game and the revenue of the game. Why did he bring so much media coverage to the point it double revenues to the game and the prize purses.

Its an interesting phenomenon...there are great players now that have met or are approaching some of his records, but they dont get the same level of coverage and its interesting to me why.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 07:46 PM 04-07-2018
Originally Posted by KCTitus:
Golf has been around longer than any of the other major sports in the United States...why is it that he made golf 'relevant'? The game pre dates Tiger. Its curious why he had such an impact on the game and the revenue of the game. Why did he bring so much media coverage to the point it double revenues to the game and the prize purses.

Its an interesting phenomenon...there are great players now that have met or are approaching some of his records, but they dont get the same level of coverage and its interesting to me why.
Woods brings a level of mass-appeal that golf has never had, nor will experience again once he hangs 'em up.

It's a fairly simple equation.
[Reply]
KCTitus 07:50 PM 04-07-2018
Originally Posted by Claysexual:
Woods brings a level of mass-appeal that golf has never had, nor will experience again once he hangs 'em up.

It's a fairly simple equation.
But the question is why...Speith matched his best round at Augusta a couple of years ago, but he doesnt 'bring the crowds'...I dare say that there will be some in this younger generation that will match or exceed Tiger. Why dont they bring the mass appeal?

If its a simple equation, then what is it?
[Reply]
O.city 08:05 PM 04-07-2018
Spieth has already missed more cuts in his career than tiger did

Tiger had a flare for the drama and similar to lebron was dubbed th next thing from a young age and actually lived up to it.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 08:06 PM 04-07-2018
But the question is why...Speith matched his best round at Augusta a couple of years ago, but he doesnt 'bring the crowds'...I dare say that there will be some in this younger generation that will match or exceed Tiger. Why dont they bring the mass appeal?

The elements:

1) An exceptional golfer.

2) An African-American Asian beating the piss out of ol' "Cracker Ass Whitey" at his own game, and at a consistent level was a HUGE media wet dream that all but guaranteed that Woods was going to be covered like a yogurt raisin 24/7.

3) The drama. As much as they built him up, the media were there to tear him down post-haste, and create a situation whereby Woods would either sink or swim. If he got it back together and made a comeback, the media wins.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 08:28 PM 04-07-2018

Someone is going to match what Tiger Woods did? In our lifetimes? Maybe you go need to look at what Tiger Woods actually did if you think that.

His level of dominance over that 10+ year period was absolutely absurd.
[Reply]
dlphg9 08:46 PM 04-07-2018
The guy was going to crush every single golf record, but had that big fallout. Tiger made golf watchable because he was kicking ass and had several really exciting moments.
[Reply]
MahiMike 08:50 PM 04-07-2018
Originally Posted by Hamwallet:
His media attention was because of his race, let’s face facts. Never before has someone that was his race dominated golf. The media loves that crap. It’s because he is half Asian. If he wasn’t half Asian they would never be so obsessed.
This. Oh yeah so much this.
[Reply]
RippedmyFlesh 05:37 PM 04-08-2018
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Someone is going to match what Tiger Woods did? In our lifetimes? Maybe you go need to look at what Tiger Woods actually did if you think that.

Remember when bets were Tiger vs the field? And Tiger was the best bet.
[Reply]
otherstar 05:48 PM 04-08-2018
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:

It was exceptional, but still not at the same level as Jack Nicklaus....and Nicklaus had MUCH tougher competition.
[Reply]
tk13 05:52 PM 04-08-2018
He was always going to be hyped because of his amateur success, but that first Masters sent him into the stratosphere. Here you have this phenom who comes in and doesn't just compete, he annihilated the field on the biggest stage, and set a bunch of records on the way. Yeah Spieth later matched the record score but he only won by 4 strokes. Tiger came in and demolished the entire field by double digits. Who else has done that?

It'd be like a rookie QB coming in and winning a Super Bowl by 50 points and throwing for 700 yards. The hype would be off the charts.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 17
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Up