ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 14
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Trump: Mosques are essential
RodeoPants2 01:33 PM 05-22-2020

"Today, I am identifying houses of worship, churches, synagogues, and mosques as essential places that provide essential services." pic.twitter.com/PptCGYNAaa

— The White House (@WhiteHouse) May 22, 2020

[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 06:17 PM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by listopencil:
I know. He's going up the charts with a bullet on the secret Mod of the Year competition.
He's got my vote.

And I'm not mailing it in, either. Only voting in person from now on.
[Reply]
NinerDoug 06:18 PM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by Loneiguana:
The first amendment doesnt mean anyone has to listen to you or host your speech nor does it mean you have some magical right to in person church services.
It actually wouldn't surprise me if it came down that way. I think it could go either way.

But it's not Trump's call.
[Reply]
listopencil 06:26 PM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by NinerDoug:
It actually wouldn't surprise me if it came down that way. I think it could go either way.

CollectiveVagina is presenting a straw man. The issue is that businesses were allowed to stay open if they followed reasonably safe practices but churches weren't. This is in violation of the USCON. There is a thread here in this subforum with an eloquent judge's ruling that explains it quite well, when he sided with the church in question and all churches in general. On a federal level Trump's AG is specifically looking for these kinds of cases and has let it be known that the DOJ supports the churches.
[Reply]
Loneiguana 06:35 PM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by listopencil:
CollectiveVagina is presenting a straw man. The issue is that businesses were allowed to stay open if they followed reasonably safe practices but churches weren't. This is in violation of the USCON. There is a thread here in this subforum with an eloquent judge's ruling that explains it quite well, when he sided with the church in question and all churches in general. On a federal level Trump's AG is specifically looking for these kinds of cases and has let it be known that the DOJ supports the churches.
Overall health guidelines have specifically stated why places like churches-crowded, inside forlong periods of time - are in the high risk category.

Its intellectually lazy to just go "but but but, general business stayed open". Yeah, for the same reason they could and other businesses did not.

Overall, Trump is playing to a base that loves to pretend to be victimized, as we ste seeing on full display.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 06:38 PM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by El Lobo Gordo:
You cannot have true freedom of religion while taxing churches. You get to choose. Freedom of religion or government regulated religion(via the tax code).
:-)What a load of BS
[Reply]
Loneiguana 06:44 PM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
:-)What a load of BS
It's pretty amusing the most freedumb individuals hate taxes when taxes basically mean the government is dependent on you.

Taxation equals representation.

Want to know what countries that dont need taxes are like? (They operate off of their resource wealth) they dont have freedom in those places.

Government taking a tax from you is the government giving you a voice.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 06:45 PM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by Loneiguana:
Shame the government doesnt enforce them being non partisan than.

Juvinile tax arguments aside, if you want to lecture and tell people how to vote in a political system, pay than you should also be paying into that system.

Want to argue honestly churches shouldnt be taxes? Then you also need to devote equal time to ensuring churches arent just tax free political vechichles.
Or prevent them from just being a retail outlet to shill books, backpacks, fragrance warmers...

https://www.joelosteen.com/Pages/Store-Gifts.aspx

50 different books, all written by the church owner:-)
https://www.joelosteen.com/Pages/Store-Books.aspx
[Reply]
listopencil 06:46 PM 05-22-2020

To amend my earlier statement, take a look at that situation where a church basically set up a drive thru service. Families would come in their cars and stay in the parking lot. The preacher delivered a sermon via radio. The vehicles even maintained a safe distance. And yet the local government not only forbid them from doing it but placed tire damaging debris at the parking lot entrance. That's ridiculous. And unconstitutional. Things like that have actually been happening as local politicians are spazzing out on power trips.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 07:53 PM 05-22-2020
I never wanted to hear the term "party of states rights" again.
[Reply]
RodeoPants2 08:02 PM 05-22-2020
Two corinthians
[Reply]
NinerDoug 08:12 PM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
I never wanted to hear the term "party of states rights" again.
Weirdness, huh?

They used to be the party of free trade too. WTF ever happened to that?

They want a totalitarian president and isolation.

Basically, they want to be North Korea.
[Reply]
eDave 08:18 PM 05-22-2020
Weirdness, huh?

They've been outcasts their entire lives. And now Moses Fat-fucking-ass Trump is here to deliver them. To hell.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:21 PM 05-22-2020
Trump is supposed to be a complete racist. How is this possible?

I anticipate our liberal friends will be giving him his due props for this one.

Apparently Orange Man ain't all bad.
[Reply]
patteeu 08:32 PM 05-22-2020
Weirdness, huh?

Lol, that makes almost no sense.

States rights claims involving state governments and the 1st amendment went out of style about 100 years ago when the SCOTUS interpreted the 14th amendment to require states to live by 1st amendment constraints. Right or wrong, it’s nothing if it’s not well settled law.

As for seeking a totalitarian, the responses to the pandemic show the opposite to be true. It’s the left who are complaining that Trump hasn’t taken more control.
[Reply]
ClevelandBronco 08:33 PM 05-22-2020
I supposed we could have a discussion about revoking tax-exempt status for churches and other nonprofits, but I’m not sure United Way, Planned Parenthood or the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, etc. would be on board.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 14
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Up