ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>If Biden Chooses a female running mate, is that going to hurt him
El Lobo Gordo 04:29 PM 05-21-2020
Biden has pledged to choose a female to be his running mate. Is that going to hurt him or help him?

Some people are voting for Biden are actually voting for not Trump. To this group it doesn't matter who Biden chooses. Other people will vote for Trump because they are voting for not a democrat. To this group it also doesn't matter who Biden is choosing. Then you have the rest and to them it may matter.

Now normally people who decide the election don't look to closely at the bottom of the ticket. This election is different. Biden is clearly in decline and that may prompt people to consider his running mate a little more carefully.

Only one of three possibilities about the country are true:
1. The country is biased against having a female president.
2. The country is indifferent about having a female president.
3. The country is biased in favor of having a female president.

Now I don't know which one of those possibilities is true. My guess is it is number 1 that is true. If the country is biased against having a female president and if the country is going to look more closely at the bottom of the Democrat ticket because Biden is in mental decline, then it is probably a strategic mistake for him to choose a female to be his running mate.

What are your thoughts?
[Reply]
Randallflagg 06:27 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by El Lobo Gordo:
Biden has pledged to choose a female to be his running mate. Is that going to hurt him or help him?

Some people are voting for Biden are actually voting for not Trump. To this group it doesn't matter who Biden chooses. Other people will vote for Trump because they are voting for not a democrat. To this group it also doesn't matter who Biden is choosing. Then you have the rest and to them it may matter.

Now normally people who decide the election don't look to closely at the bottom of the ticket. This election is different. Biden is clearly in decline and that may prompt people to consider his running mate a little more carefully.

Only one of three possibilities about the country are true:
1. The country is biased against having a female president.
2. The country is indifferent about having a female president.
3. The country is biased in favor of having a female president.

Now I don't know which one of those possibilities is true. My guess is it is number 1 that is true. If the country is biased against having a female president and if the country is going to look more closely at the bottom of the Democrat ticket because Biden is in mental decline, then it is probably a strategic mistake for him to choose a female to be his running mate.

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts? hmmmm......Well, according to Yahoo! News, Biden has already sewn the election up, so it doesn't really matter who the hell he chooses...

Yahoo! News.......Now THERE is a contradiction in terms...
[Reply]
El Lobo Gordo 06:31 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by NinerDoug:
Having a woman on the bottom of the ticket, however, may excite some people and motivate them to get to the polls, when they may have otherwise blown it off.

My take.
There is some truth to that. Some people were motivated to vote for Obama because he is black. For others, the color of Obama's skin kept them from voting for him or voting at all.

Here is a paper that suggest Obama was harmed by the color of his skin more than he was helped.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=2238851

If the same is true for female candidates and if people consider the bottom of the ticket because of Biden's obvious decline, he could be making a strategic mistake.
[Reply]
Eleazar 06:32 PM 05-21-2020
He has to now, he promised to do so.

And given that he's barely with it at all nownow, you have to evaluate the Dem ticket as if they were both running for president because it's more likely than ever in history that his VP will become president.
[Reply]
NinerDoug 06:34 PM 05-21-2020
There is some truth to that. Some people were motivated to vote for Obama because he is black. For others, the color of Obama's skin kept them from voting for him or voting at all.

Here is a paper that suggest Obama was harmed by the color of his skin more than he was helped.

If the same is true for female candidates and if people consider the bottom of the ticket because of Biden's obvious decline, he could be making a strategic mistake.
Caveat: I have not read the paper.

I have a hard time even considering the possibility that Obama being black harmed him rather than helped him.
[Reply]
NinerDoug 06:35 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by Eleazar:
He has to now, he promised to do so.

And given that he's barely with it at all nownow, you have to evaluate the Dem ticket as if they were both running for president because it's more likely than ever in history that his VP will become president.
Very good point.
[Reply]
Eleazar 06:36 PM 05-21-2020

Yeah right. Obama would never have been elected if he were some white guy from Illinois with the same experience (that is to say, none) and the same policy positions. He would have been and still would be a nobody in the state house.
[Reply]
El Lobo Gordo 06:37 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
Nature has race and sex biases. The left should sue over that.
We engage in useful fictions, but sometimes I think the left over does it or just plain deludes themselves into believing no fiction exists.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 06:42 PM 05-21-2020
I actually have no respect for a man choosing a female VP. It's pandering using identity politics. People vote for the top of the ticket. But I hold women in low when they want to be chosen as a VP when it's a feeble-minded old man like Biden. It's like women have to become president on a man's coat tails just like Hilldawg did riding Bill's coat tails.

Now if it were a woman like Maggie Thatcher, that would never happen. Most women, even Republican ones, tend to be more to the left in general. Not Maggie though. It will take an Iron Lady with the right policies to win on her own merit.

What happened last time a Democrat ran with a woman as the VP?
[Reply]
El Lobo Gordo 06:45 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by NinerDoug:
Caveat: I have not read the paper.

I have a hard time even considering the possibility that Obama being black harmed him rather than helped him.
If you look at survey data, Obama wasn't harmed by being black. The problem with survey data(and polls for that matter) is that people lie on them. They also lie to you personally.
People you work with are not going to tell you they don't want a black president. They don't want you to think negatively about them or punish them for not having the right view.

The guy who wrote that paper uses google search data to conclude the survey data is wrong.

As mainstream media, google, facebook, etc try harder and harder to shape our views, I think your going to see more lying on surveys and polls. Who wants to tell a pollster they are going to vote for Trump, or thinking about voting for Trump, when everyone is saying Trump is Beelzebub?
[Reply]
cosmo20002 06:45 PM 05-21-2020
You believe that because you have been programmed to believe that. Folks on the left have race and gender biases too. We all do.
If you refuse to vote for a woman or a black, you're already a Trumper.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 06:46 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by Randallflagg:
My thoughts? hmmmm......Well, according to Yahoo! News, Biden has already sewn the election up, so it doesn't really matter who the hell he chooses...

Yahoo! News.......Now THERE is a contradiction in terms...
Let's see that link, moron.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 06:47 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by Eleazar:
Yeah right. Obama would never have been elected if he were some white guy from Illinois with the same experience (that is to say, none) and the same policy positions. He would have been and still would be a nobody in the state house.
There's no way in hell that Obama's deep tan harmed him at the ballot box.
[Reply]
NinerDoug 06:49 PM 05-21-2020
If you look at survey data, Obama wasn't harmed by being black. The problem with survey data(and polls for that matter) is that people lie on them.

The guy who wrote that paper uses google search data to conclude the survey data is wrong.

As mainstream media, google, facebook, etc try harder and harder to shape our views, I think your going to see more lying on surveys and polls. Who wants to tell a pollster they are going to vote for Trump, or thinking about voting for Trump, when everyone is saying Trump is Beelzebub?
John McCain himself broadcast an ad congratulating Obama on the nomination. The turnout was phenomenal.

But yeah, I suppose a lot of people would be reluctant to admit that it influenced their vote.
[Reply]
El Lobo Gordo 06:49 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
I actually have no respect for a man choosing a female VP. It's pandering using identity politics. People vote for the top of the ticket. But I hold women in low when they want to be chosen as a VP when it's a feeble-minded old man like Biden. It's like women have to become president on a man's coat tails just like Hilldawg did riding Bill's coat tails.

Now if it were a woman like Maggie Thatcher, that would never happen. Most women, even Republican ones, tend to be more to the left in general. Not Maggie though. It will take an Iron Lady with the right policies to win on her own merit.

What happened last time a Democrat ran with a woman as the VP?
In another thread I started on here I made the argument Biden is engaging in sexism by using sex as criteria for being VP.
[Reply]
El Lobo Gordo 06:56 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
If you refuse to vote for a woman or a black, you're already a Trumper.
The effects of peoples animus isn't all encompassing. I might have animosity toward blacks but I would vote for a black right to life candidate over a white pro-abortion candidate. Or I might not get excited about the election and not vote at all...even though I support the black candidate and hope she wins.

People on the left have racial and sexist biases like everyone else. You guys can pretend you don't at your own peril. Its no skin off my back.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Up