ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2730 of 3903
« First < 1730223026302680272027262727272827292730 273127322733273427402780283032303730 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
KS Smitty 10:25 AM 07-28-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Kansas Governor is threatening lockdown next week
She can threaten all she wants. The KS legislature passed a bill that allows local governments (school district, county, city) to opt out of any executive orders the governor puts out. So it will be just like this latest mask mandate some will follow it some wont. My county opted out of it as did our neighboring county but the City of Manhattan did not so as long as you're not in the City Limit there is not mandatory mask requirements.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:26 AM 07-28-2020
I think that's a very myopic view to be honest. It assumes you can lock down harder and stay locked down longer without any ancillary effects or unintended consequences. Just saying.
Why do you ignore the fact that most of the rest of the developed world has done it and come out much better than we have?
[Reply]
petegz28 10:35 AM 07-28-2020
Originally Posted by KS Smitty:
She can threaten all she wants. The KS legislature passed a bill that allows local governments (school district, county, city) to opt out of any executive orders the governor puts out. So it will be just like this latest mask mandate some will follow it some wont. My county opted out of it as did our neighboring county but the City of Manhattan did not so as long as you're not in the City Limit there is not mandatory mask requirements.
What county are you in? My problem with her lock down threat is that she appears to be hyping things a bit and doesn't appear to give a damn or offer to help the businesses she will impact and their employees.

People get tired of a Governor who doesn't lose a dime telling other people to fuck off and deal with it.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:36 AM 07-28-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Why do you ignore the fact that most of the rest of the developed world has done it and come out much better than we have?
Cause the rest of the world is not us? :-) There is a reason our economy is better than everyone else's and the way we are set up is generally different than everyone else as well.
[Reply]
O.city 10:39 AM 07-28-2020
I think that's a very myopic view to be honest. It assumes you can lock down harder and stay locked down longer without any ancillary effects or unintended consequences. Just saying.
It's actually not. Had you done that, you'd be able to more fully reopen and have more consumer confidence which would increase economic output.

But that horse left a while ago.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:41 AM 07-28-2020
Cause the rest of the world is not us? :-) There is a reason our economy is better than everyone else's and the way we are set up is generally different than everyone else as well.
I guess it's just hard to discuss this kind of thing when that's your response.

Pete: "It can't be done!"
Me: "Sure it can - look at these dozens of examples."
Pete: "But they don't count!"

Well, I guess that settles it then.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:43 AM 07-28-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
It's actually not. Had you done that, you'd be able to more fully reopen and have more consumer confidence which would increase economic output.

But that horse left a while ago.
I don't disagree with your theory. I just don't think it would have been as smooth as you think. Just my .02.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:43 AM 07-28-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I guess it's just hard to discuss this kind of thing when that's your response.

Pete: "It can't be done!"
Me: "Sure it can - look at these dozens of examples."
Pete: "But they don't count!"

Well, I guess that settles it then.
That's not what I said but you do you
[Reply]
dirk digler 10:44 AM 07-28-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
I wont argue that a 6 week hard lock down out the gate wouldn't have mitigated most of this, but that is 100% hindsight that almost no one thought was necessary back in early March.
Lots of people were suggesting lockdowns. Dr. David Ho accurately predicted this would happen because we did sequential lockdowns and it predictably failed.

I wish I could find a better picture but these graphs were introduced in April by Dr. David Ho (if you want to google what he’s accomplished in his field) the graph on the left shows if the entire country shut down together. The sequential graph is the path we took. https://t.co/V7MyfT6x7q pic.twitter.com/uxwbM70TLD

— Devin (@kontayjis422) July 23, 2020

[Reply]
KS Smitty 10:44 AM 07-28-2020
What county are you in? My problem with her lock down threat is that she appears to be hyping things a bit and doesn't appear to give a damn or offer to help the businesses she will impact and their employees.

People get tired of a Governor who doesn't lose a dime telling other people to fuck off and deal with it.
I'm in Pottawatomie county, little to no mitigation efforts despite the county health directors suggestions. There has also been very little Covid here even with Manhattan (mostly Riley County) being a hotspot (for our area). I assume it's because we're essentially a rural county with no big cities and all big events have been cancelled/postponed for the last 4 months so there's not a lot of social gatherings of any size.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:49 AM 07-28-2020
Originally Posted by KS Smitty:
I'm in Pottawatomie county, little to no mitigation efforts despite the county health directors suggestions. There has also been very little Covid here even with Manhattan (mostly Riley County) being a hotspot (for our area). I assume it's because we're essentially a rural county with no big cities and all big events have been cancelled/postponed for the last 4 months so there's not a lot of social gatherings of any size.
I'm in JoCo but I think you knew that. We have seen a surge in cases but not in hospitalizations or deaths, thankfully.

The vast, vast majority of our deaths have been in the care facilities. I don't know what the answer is there. You have high risk individuals for all kinds of illnesses already clustered so it takes very little to spark the fire.
[Reply]
O.city 10:56 AM 07-28-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Lots of people were suggesting lockdowns. Dr. David Ho accurately predicted this would happen because we did sequential lockdowns and it predictably failed.

This is where it becomes problematic for me. We're just such a big ass country size wise, it just makes things tough. People aren't gonna wanna do things that are like that in their area when they have basically zero outbreaks.

There are probably political reasons for that, but obviously this isn't the place to hash that out.
[Reply]
phisherman 11:00 AM 07-28-2020
That's always been the problem. No true one size fits all solution for every community.
[Reply]
dirk digler 11:13 AM 07-28-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
This is where it becomes problematic for me. We're just such a big ass country size wise, it just makes things tough. People aren't gonna wanna do things that are like that in their area when they have basically zero outbreaks.

There are probably political reasons for that, but obviously this isn't the place to hash that out.
Yeah our size but the individuality of the states makes it tough. But I think we could have pulled it off.
[Reply]
petegz28 11:24 AM 07-28-2020
Coronavirus Outbreak Showing Signs of Slow Down in Arizona, Texas, and Florida

https://legalinsurrection.com/2020/0...s-and-florida/
[Reply]
Page 2730 of 3903
« First < 1730223026302680272027262727272827292730 273127322733273427402780283032303730 > Last »
Up