ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 29
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Listen, people. We need to have a talk about a Chiefs name change at some point.
Rain Man 11:59 AM 06-29-2020
I think the odds are low of a name change, but given the current state of affairs it's a non-zero possibility. And if we don't have input, the name will end up being some trite adjective in front of the word Hawks, which has happened with pretty much every other sports name change in America. Green Hawks, Fighting Hawks, Screeching Hawks, whatever. We don't want that.

I suspect that some members of Chiefs management read this site occasionally to get our takes on who should be starting at left guard or how they should handle a particular contract, so this is our chance to have input into the process. (Oh, and hi, Clark. Nice work last year, my friend. PM me about getting together for dinner next time you're in Denver.)

So we'll have a renaming tournament. In this thread, you may propose up to three names, and I'll structure everyone's suggestions into heats. Using the Chiefsplanet brain trust, we'll give Clark and his team valuable input into what the Chiefs should become if we eventually delete our homage to indigenous plains cultures.
[Reply]
Rain Man 12:56 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by KC_Lee:
Nah, then Blackie Lawless would sue us.
And I just remembered that WASP is a slang for White Anglo Saxon Protestant. That would be an embarrassing snafu on a name change.
[Reply]
carcosa 12:58 PM 06-29-2020
The Kansas City Patrick Mahomes IIs!!!!
[Reply]
KC_Lee 12:59 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
And I just remembered that WASP is a slang for White Anglo Saxon Protestant. That would be an embarrassing snafu on a name change.
Also We Are Sexually Perverted, take your pick.
[Reply]
excessive 12:59 PM 06-29-2020
No, no, you are going about this all wrong. Don't change the name. Just change the mascot and iconography.

For example, the mascot could be a dude in a business suit carrying a briefcase. Maybe he could resemble H. Roe Bartle (quick, somebody check and see if he was a racist) or Lamar Hunt. Instead, of a pseudo Indian chant when doing the chop, the crowd could say something like, "You've been served," like someone serving a subpoena, as their arms move up and down. We could call the cheer squad, The Interns. Instead of the Red Coaters, the 1%ers. We could even keep K.C. Wolf; just keep him away from The Interns

I suppose this could work for the Fire Chiefs suggestion as well, though I'm not partial to the firefighter idea. I've just known too many asshole firemen/women/people over the years. CEOs seem much nicer, always worrying about the bottom line and shareholders and dividends and all.

But anyway, it's just an example. Don't change the name. Just change what it signifies.
[Reply]
Otter 01:00 PM 06-29-2020
The Eagle Murderers

[Reply]
Rain Man 01:03 PM 06-29-2020
I ilke it, excessive. The Kansas City Chief Executive Officers could be shortened to Chiefs. Now, we might take some flak if people complain that CEO's are not proportionate to the population by race and gender, but could we say that we're just aspirational toward the future? That theme could work.
[Reply]
ptlyon 01:07 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
UND pushed back against pressure to change the name for decades. Only until the NCAA threatened them with ineligibility for all athletic playoff tournaments did the school remove the Fighting Sioux name.

They had no other choice. There was no “just tough it out if people complain”
It all died with Ralph Engelstad. He had the money. Every time someone would complain he would put up another sioux emblem. After he wax gone it lost it's fire.
[Reply]
CarlosCarson27 01:12 PM 06-29-2020
Not a chance in fucking heck.
Enough with the fear mongering on all levels.

The whole indian name shit was as manufactured as 5he corona fear.
[Reply]
kcclone 01:12 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by Chieftain:
The word Chief is noble and has a respectful connotation. In this case, it is attributed to the elders of the native american communities. There is nothing racist, demeaning or pejorative in its definition. To argue otherwise is irrational.

Yeah, I don't see how it could possibly be considered derogatory in any way, shape or form.
[Reply]
Pants 01:14 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Kansas City Dickfores
I'm confused.

What's a dick for?
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 01:14 PM 06-29-2020
i would vote for "The Kansas City Dammit Carls."

Historically, it should be the "JFC, This River Is Almost As Big As The One We Crossed Last Month - DagNabIt, Let's Just Live Here!"s Maybe the "DagNabIts" for short.
[Reply]
RealSNR 01:19 PM 06-29-2020
These are my actual suggestions:

1. Kansas City Wasps: I'm stealing this idea from whoever had it first on this thread. There are no bug mascots in the NFL. We'd be quite original.

2. Kansas City Racers: I guess there's that speedway thing we have that's kind of popular, and it embraces the team's proud tradition of having some of the NFL's best fast guys for their given eras (Dante Hall, Jamaal Charles, Tyreek Hill). Ubeja would fucking love this one. Doesn't have to be Racers specifically. Could be Speeders or Zoom Machines or whatever other speed-related noun rolls off the tongue the best.

3. Kansas City Kings: Yeah, wrong sport and all, but to make the transition as seamless as possible, I think we might need to think about the history of teams in this area so that sports fans at least feel somewhat "at home" with the new name, as uneasy as it may be. It's the boring suggestion, but boring might be best. Other suggestions: Monarchs, Royals (could be a nice way to spite the people who sparked this change by forcing them to specifically say "Kansas City (football) Royals"), Athletics, Scouts (don't like Scouts, though).

Alternatively, if we want a brand new name the city has never had before and want to stick with the royalty/community executive theme, we could also try Kansas City Emperors
[Reply]
Dante84 01:23 PM 06-29-2020
The Kansas City 'Cat-Hawk-Elephant-Iguana-Falcons' - Chiefs for short.
[Reply]
RealSNR 01:28 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by excessive:
No, no, you are going about this all wrong. Don't change the name. Just change the mascot and iconography.

For example, the mascot could be a dude in a business suit carrying a briefcase. Maybe he could resemble H. Roe Bartle (quick, somebody check and see if he was a racist) or Lamar Hunt. Instead, of a pseudo Indian chant when doing the chop, the crowd could say something like, "You've been served," like someone serving a subpoena, as their arms move up and down. We could call the cheer squad, The Interns. Instead of the Red Coaters, the 1%ers. We could even keep K.C. Wolf; just keep him away from The Interns

I suppose this could work for the Fire Chiefs suggestion as well, though I'm not partial to the firefighter idea. I've just known too many asshole firemen/women/people over the years. CEOs seem much nicer, always worrying about the bottom line and shareholders and dividends and all.

But anyway, it's just an example. Don't change the name. Just change what it signifies.
Kansas City Chiefs

[Reply]
Rain Man 01:28 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by Dante84:
The Kansas City 'Cat-Hawk-Elephant-Iguana-Falcons' - Chiefs for short.
I like it, but I'd switch the order up a little.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 29
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Up