ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 29
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Listen, people. We need to have a talk about a Chiefs name change at some point.
Rain Man 11:59 AM 06-29-2020
I think the odds are low of a name change, but given the current state of affairs it's a non-zero possibility. And if we don't have input, the name will end up being some trite adjective in front of the word Hawks, which has happened with pretty much every other sports name change in America. Green Hawks, Fighting Hawks, Screeching Hawks, whatever. We don't want that.

I suspect that some members of Chiefs management read this site occasionally to get our takes on who should be starting at left guard or how they should handle a particular contract, so this is our chance to have input into the process. (Oh, and hi, Clark. Nice work last year, my friend. PM me about getting together for dinner next time you're in Denver.)

So we'll have a renaming tournament. In this thread, you may propose up to three names, and I'll structure everyone's suggestions into heats. Using the Chiefsplanet brain trust, we'll give Clark and his team valuable input into what the Chiefs should become if we eventually delete our homage to indigenous plains cultures.
[Reply]
lewdog 12:40 PM 06-29-2020
Kansas City Dickfores
[Reply]
ClevelandBronco 12:42 PM 06-29-2020
There's no more neutral a word than Gray. You can keep that thing forever.

1. Kansas City Grays

2. TK

3. TK
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 12:43 PM 06-29-2020
The White Knights
[Reply]
ClevelandBronco 12:43 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Kansas City Dickfores
WHAT'S A DICKFORE?, he asked.
[Reply]
TheMartyr 12:45 PM 06-29-2020
The Chiefs should be able to keep the name, but the Tomahawk chop will be gone at some point. It will likely live on in some parts of the stadium and the fandom, but I think there will be a concerted effort by the team to phase that out. I personally think the chop is not worth fighting for as it is just a tradition stolen from Seminoles/Braves fans.

They have already made some small steps to encourage more education and connection to Native American tribals groups in the area. If I were in charge, I would take the following steps:

1) Make immediate plans to get rid of the chop
2) Start implementing policies that gets fans to not wear Native American headdresses and other symbolic apparel at the game
3) Reach out to local tribal leaders and do more to honor these groups at the games with some half time performances that are educational, respectful, and inclusive to Native Americans
4) Create strategic partnerships with local Native American institutions, such as Haskell University in Lawrence, the Mid-American Museum Center in Wichita, holding free football camps on Indian reservations (there is actually a long and storied history of Native Americans embracing football), etc.

Get out in front of the messaging and do the best you can to mitigate the fallout from the angry subset of fans who are pissed off that you are taking “their chop” away from them.
[Reply]
KCChiefsFan88 12:46 PM 06-29-2020
Kansas City Mahomeses

Just re-name everything in KC after PMIII... problems solved.
[Reply]
Trivers 12:46 PM 06-29-2020
Can't believe I'm saying this for a Rainman thread......but thread FAIL!

If someone of lessor CP statue had posted this nonsense, they would be given anti-freeze and set on fire on an aids-tree.

Overreaction to current events??
[Reply]
RealSNR 12:46 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
That's fine. If they bow down and change their name just to be obedient for such a bullshit reason, I won't watch them anymore. Same with the fighting Sioux. They're dead to me.

UND pushed back against pressure to change the name for decades. Only until the NCAA threatened them with ineligibility for all athletic playoff tournaments did the school remove the Fighting Sioux name.

They had no other choice. There was no “just tough it out if people complain”
[Reply]
O.city 12:47 PM 06-29-2020
Burnt ends
[Reply]
Sorce 12:48 PM 06-29-2020
You can argue the name is a title, not a culture. You could argue that arrowheads are kinda universal but you kinda lose the argument with the tomahawk chop and chant. However a lot of my ancestry is of nordic background, if we've got to change then the racist vikings need to as well. Maybe the Minnesota Dontcha Knows.
[Reply]
Rain Man 12:51 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
Kansas City Mahomeses

Just re-name everything in KC after PMIII... problems solved.
I like it a lot, but it's risky. I figure that future generations will tear down his statues because he drank milk or had a dog or some other 21st century thing that will become a 22nd-century abomination.

Oh, how about Wasps? I could go with Wasps.
[Reply]
RealSNR 12:52 PM 06-29-2020
Kansas City Hungry Pigs
[Reply]
Rain Man 12:54 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by Trivers:
Can't believe I'm saying this for a Rainman thread......but thread FAIL!

If someone of lessor CP statue had posted this nonsense, they would be given anti-freeze and set on fire on an aids-tree.

Overreaction to current events??

As noted earlier, I'm not proposing that the name be changed. I'm just saying that we should be prepared if a change becomes necessary. It's the equivalent of building a fallout shelter before the Soviets put missiles in Cuba.
[Reply]
KC_Lee 12:54 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Oh, how about Wasps? I could go with Wasps.
Nah, then Blackie Lawless would sue us.
[Reply]
tooge 12:55 PM 06-29-2020
The KC Beef n Fry
[Reply]
Page 4 of 29
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Up