ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 187 of 341
« First < 87137177183184185186187 188189190191197237287 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Off Season Lets Talk Guns, Part 2
HonestChieffan 11:58 AM 01-23-2011
Been a while since we had a guns n' ammo discussion.

Some of you are AR shooters Im sure. Im looking at a Colt 6920. Will be my first AR. Picked up a Glock this fall and really enjoy shooting it. Any feedback on that weapon?

Anyone else been in a buy/sell/trade mood with hardware?
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 05:46 PM 05-18-2020
You never want to go into a home defense situation with no light, absolutely do not ever do that. Have a weapon light and use it when you find the target to make a positive ID. You don’t need it on the entire time, but you do need it when you find the subject.

Strobe function will fuck up the subjects orientation and you want to turn it on and move from the original position that you started it at. It will help keep the subject off balance. You don’t need the strobe, you can just get a good bright light that puts out a good crisp stream and a bright white light.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 05:54 PM 05-18-2020
Also make sure whatever you do buy has a good Candala rating, candlepower is the more common name
[Reply]
Megatron96 07:02 PM 05-18-2020
Originally Posted by Raiderhader:
A lot of information there but, my concern with using a strobe wasn’t addressed. In most instances the disorientation caused by the strobe will likely leave the perp fairly incapacitated but, what if they are armed with a gun and in their panic they just start wildly shooting? The strobe would make it impossible to acquire a safe shot. And you likely are going to be panicked enough your own self at that point that quickly and accurately switching to a regular light doesn’t seem likely.

I don’t think they are a gimmick but, I also don’t think I’m sold on them.
No, that's not how they work. Everyone in front of the strobing light will experience some disorientation. Anyone behind it won't. Unless the subject you're strobing happens to be standing next to a bright white wall or a large mirror. Otherwise there's not enough light bounce to impair the shooter. If it did, strobes wouldn't even be considered tactically beneficial. Regardless, we've tested these things in class, and a strobing weapon-light doesn't impair the shooter unless they're strobing very close to a very light-colored wall or large object.

And if the BG raises his weapon, we shoot him, as per the rules of engagement, so if they 'panic and try to begin shooting,' well, they're toast before they begin firing.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 07:17 PM 05-18-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
No, that's not how they work. Everyone in front of the strobing light will experience some disorientation. Anyone behind it won't. Unless the subject you're strobing happens to be standing next to a bright white wall or a large mirror. Otherwise there's not enough light bounce to impair the shooter. If it did, strobes wouldn't even be considered tactically beneficial. Regardless, we've tested these things in class, and a strobing weapon-light doesn't impair the shooter unless they're strobing very close to a very light-colored wall or large object.

And if the BG raises his weapon, we shoot him, as per the rules of engagement, so if they 'panic and try to begin shooting,' well, they're toast before they begin firing.
I guess wasn’t very clear. I do not mean that the strobe has an impact on the user’s eyesight but, rather the flickering motion can make it difficult to get a clean view of the target. Unless I am just completely mistaken about the intensity or rate of the strobe?
[Reply]
Megatron96 07:19 PM 05-18-2020
Originally Posted by Raiderhader:
I guess wasn’t very clear. I do not mean that the strobe has an impact on the user’s eyesight but, rather the flickering motion can make it difficult to get a clean view of the target. Unless I am just completely mistaken about the intensity or rate of the strobe?
Yeah, sorry for the misunderstanding. As the shooter, there's no real difficulty in acquiring the target. You can see the target just fine, he can't see you.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:34 PM 05-18-2020
I'm giddy to see Walthers getting bought. I love mine.
[Reply]
Frazod 08:47 PM 05-18-2020
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
I'm giddy to see Walthers getting bought. I love mine.
Same here. :-)
[Reply]
ljmhawk 09:35 PM 05-18-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Same here. :-)
should i swap out the guide rod?
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:42 PM 05-18-2020
Originally Posted by ljmhawk:
If you're worrying about it breaking, I wouldn't, I have many 1000s of rounds through my PPX and it's been rock solid. It's a Walther...

Nothing will hurt Glock's business (it's like the iPhone!!!), but if more people tried the Walther, I think it could happen... And the PPQ is sweet, sweet as all get out! But I'm a PPX dude..
[Reply]
Frazod 10:07 PM 05-18-2020
Originally Posted by ljmhawk:
I haven’t done anything to mine.
[Reply]
vailpass 11:26 AM 05-19-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
An article reviewing some of the best lights for 2020:

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-pistol-lights/
Thanks for all of your input on the Mega, it's given me some things to think about. this pewpew article is actually where I got the idea for the Streamlight TLR-2. I need to see how big it is relative to my HK45 before I know for sure.

I read a lot of articles from pewpew. Do you find them to be reliable in all of their ratings or do you ever sense they are, at least in part, sponsor driven to place certain products toward the top? I haven't been reading long enough yet to know.

Their AR-15 guide was really helpful for me.

Thanks again for the input. I'm going to the range today, will see if they have any lights I can try.
[Reply]
vailpass 11:58 AM 05-19-2020
Originally Posted by mac459:
If you are not putting Modlight or Olight on your home defense or self defense weapons you are using the wrong lights. They skull **** Streamlight and all others. There is a big reason why elite units go for those lights instead of Streamlights.
What makes Modlight better?

Olights seem to be on the cheaper side, nothing over $199 on their site. You say these are better than any Streamlight models?
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:07 PM 05-19-2020
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Thanks for all of your input on the Mega, it's given me some things to think about. this pewpew article is actually where I got the idea for the Streamlight TLR-2. I need to see how big it is relative to my HK45 before I know for sure.

I read a lot of articles from pewpew. Do you find them to be reliable in all of their ratings or do you ever sense they are, at least in part, sponsor driven to place certain products toward the top? I haven't been reading long enough yet to know.

Their AR-15 guide was really helpful for me.

Thanks again for the input. I'm going to the range today, will see if they have any lights I can try.
So far PewPew articles seem to be fairly accurate and useful. I cross-reference them with TheTruthAboutGuns articles and material that I find on theFiringLine website, and PewPew seems to be mostly corroborative.
[Reply]
ljmhawk 12:29 PM 05-19-2020
just went to the range with my new PPQ M2 and all i can say is WOW.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 03:06 PM 05-19-2020
Originally Posted by vailpass:
What makes Modlight better?

Olights seem to be on the cheaper side, nothing over $199 on their site. You say these are better than any Streamlight models?
They are "better" in consideration of the lumens. I'll stick with my streamlight (only because I am used to it and can't (won't) consider another light for my pistol) Just don't see the need, regardless of "Elite" units preferring it.
[Reply]
Page 187 of 341
« First < 87137177183184185186187 188189190191197237287 > Last »
Up