ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 53 of 223
« First < 3434950515253 5455565763103153 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>What are you Smoking/Grilling/BBQ'ing this weekend?
BigRedChief 03:48 PM 07-03-2015
What are you up to this weekend?

I finally gave up on my smoker and decided to get a new smoker. I went with a bigger model but less tech. Yes, its a cheater electric smoker. My 3rd one. I need more space to cook, I don't need help getting my smoke and temp right. :-)

I've also never used injection for flavor except for pork butt or other big cuts of meat. I decided to give it a try. I developed my own injection. Basically like the other recipes you have out on the internet but I'm putting the rub in the injection and using sirracchi.

Full results not in yet but my son and I think its the best sausage we have ever had.

No sauce. Marinated the meat overnight. Injected the meat. Slow cooked the ribs and chicken. Baste it with a combo of butter and apple juice. Using a combination of Apple, Mesquite, Cherry and Hickory wood.
Attached: 11539678_10205518593098849_7496287094654554585_n.jpg (58.7 KB) 11204917_10205518655060398_84193330748835473_n.jpg (107.7 KB) 11403311_10205518654740390_5737794009802538289_n.jpg (92.7 KB) 11060263_10205518594938895_5571454432064515726_n.jpg (86.7 KB) 
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 07:24 AM 10-17-2017
Originally Posted by cooper barrett:
You have created an interest but do I need a food saver to use it? Other than a container what do I need? should food be put on a rack?

I'll look into it but I wish there was one I could try first.

I watched a video for brisket from smoker to bath to torch sear on briskets and butts. I am looking at the Flat Irons that I will be cooking tomorrow and wishing I could try it on them.

I am guessing you go by pound, thickness, and temp but I'm not sure when you know it's done. On a brisket, 1/2 turkey, or butt how do you know? I mean I saw a full brisket and 2 butts bath for 60 hours at 145 degrees. What happens if time is 4 hours longer/ shorter?

I would probably start with small chuck roasts, smoking before bathing to get the hang of it before I were to waste a 15lb brisket.

And, just to think, I had my eyes one one of these but it may have to wait...
You don't have to have a Food Saver, but I do prefer that. You can do it with Ziplocks and immersion in water to displace the air. I think everyone should have a vacuum sealer, though.

I've never done brisket before in sous vide. Never been inclined since I prefer it in the smoker. I typically do steaks, pork chops, and fish, so anywhere from an hour to 3 is generally fine. While you can't overcook something, it can sit too long where the proteins denature and the food gets mushy, but that usually takes 8 hours or more on a standard steak.

I've done pork belly for 18 hours. That's pretty outstanding.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 11:12 AM 10-17-2017
They don't make yours Campfire cast iron anymore from what I could see. Are they enamel inside?

Some of my saute / fry pans were non-stick Teflon, most are black and I have two white enamel sauce pans. The black is better for higher heats. Non stick teflon and heat do not get along well from my experience so I walnut blasted the interiors. They were enamel underneath. Even the pans I had overheated cleaned up great. Once I had polished them up (a little 2000 wet sanding) and a little seasoning, they have worked great for years. If you have high end Teflon cookware, I highly suggest this. It was just a few bucks a piece.

I had a LC square grill pan but I never liked it (I burned them up) so I gave it to the SO's daughter who used it all the time. since she got along with it so well and I didn't use it, it now is hers.

At a farmers sale I found an old school, no name, cast iron HD griill pan, a 12-13lb beast, for like $10 that I sit it directly in coals or on a grill grate. Nothing fancy but gets the job done. The SO banned it to the garage after it's first time of use. It's been walnut blasted twice .

I am now eying a LC oblong grill pan for inside but with enamel surface now that they have dropped from over $200 to $130. ($60 on Ebay.*)

FMB has been trying to talk me into Sous Vide cooking and this will be a killer pan for searing meat.

*Looks like I may have found one:-)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Le-Creuset-C...wAAOSwk~ZZ5XL0
[Reply]
excessive 06:26 PM 10-17-2017
This recipe never fails to deliver. Rewarming in the juice/sauce mix is what sets it of from typical. Slice beef as thick or thin as you want, add juice/sauce to make it as sloppy as you want. Never skip the finish in the oven.

Whole, untrimmed brisket. Season as you wish. Don't forget the garlic.

Bullet smoker (or what have you), naked on the top grill for 2 hours. Assault it with smoke: I use hickory and oak to start, and finish with green wood from the yard: cherry, apple, and/or peach. But whatever you have works.

Put in a roasting pan with a basting of dry, red wine for steam and cover. Six hours low and slow on the Weber, opening cover on roasting pan last 2 hours for browning.

After 6 hours, move to indoor oven at 225 for 2 or 3 more hours covered.

Remove from oven. Cool until able to handle. Separate juice from meat. Trim fat from brisket. Refrigerate juice and meat separately.

Next day: slice brisket thin or to liking. Heat juice (don't forget to remove congealed fat). Depending on concentration of juice, reduce or dilute to preferred thickness. Add Bbq sauce to juice, 50/50. (I use a mix of Gates original and KC Masterpiece original, 40/60).

Layer brisket in a 13 x 9, top with juice/sauce mix, repeat as necessary. Cover and heat at 250 until warmed through. Eat. Remember to thank me later.
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 08:04 PM 10-17-2017
Anybody in the market for a smoker?

[Reply]
BryanBusby 09:36 PM 10-17-2017
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
just bad luck with a hurricane. The two other electric smokers lasted me 25+ years. When I was in KC, I used them a lot. Got my money's worth out of them.

I've used the Masterpiece and the Bradley smokers. Was happy with both. Tough decision on what's next.
Only complaint I have with Masterbuilt is the cold smoke attachment is real flimsy.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:07 PM 10-17-2017
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
Only complaint I have with Masterbuilt is the cold smoke attachment is real flimsy.
never used a cold smoke device with my smokers. No interest in cold smoking personally.
[Reply]
Nickhead 10:19 PM 10-17-2017
Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats.:
Anybody in the market for a smoker?

does it come with free shipping :-)
[Reply]
BryanBusby 10:42 PM 10-17-2017
never used a cold smoke device with my smokers. No interest in cold smoking personally.
I got it mostly for longer smokes, like brisket, so I didn't have to add wood as frequently.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:00 AM 10-18-2017
I got it mostly for longer smokes, like brisket, so I didn't have to add wood as frequently.
Cold smoke some cheese this winter. Thank me later.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 08:11 AM 10-18-2017
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Yup. That's on my list. Mozzarella and provolone. Then homemade pizza on the Kettle Pizza.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:20 AM 10-18-2017
I had a nice Bradley that had a feeder of those wood hockey pucks. I loved that for the long smokes. I could control how often they were fed into the smoker. Stop and start them during the smoke. I found a place on the internet that had great wood pucks. I would rotate the type of wood pucks as the smoke went on depending on how what meats were in the smoker.

Set it and forget it smoking.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 08:29 AM 10-18-2017
I had a nice Bradley that had a feeder of those wood hockey pucks. I loved that for the long smokes. I could control how often they were fed into the smoker. Stop and start them during the smoke. I found a place on the internet that had great wood pucks. I would rotate the type of wood pucks as the smoke went on depending on how what meats were in the smoker.

Source for the pucks?
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:48 AM 10-18-2017
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Source for the pucks?
Man, no idea now. It was a while ago. It was a guy who made them from scratch and then sold them. Found him on a smoker forum. They were combination ones. Oak/Apple Alder/Cherry etc.

There were also the empty pucks you could put your own wood mix into the containers that fit in the feeder. Never tried that.
[Reply]
lewdog 05:48 PM 10-18-2017
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Source for the pucks?
Amazon is where I got mine for the Bradley.

Before that piece of shit fell apart. FUCK Bradley Smokers.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 07:08 PM 10-18-2017

I looked into one years ago, but didn't like that I couldn't walk into a store and buy pucks...at least at that time.

Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I do it usually around fall into winter. Just needs to get a little cooler out.

I do it for mac n cheese and for party trays during the holidays and the SB.
[Reply]
Page 53 of 223
« First < 3434950515253 5455565763103153 > Last »
Up