ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 391 of 2688
« First < 291341381387388389390391 3923933943954014414918911391 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Patrick Mahomes Thread*****
Dante84 07:19 PM 04-27-2017
IT ****ING HAPPENED

OP UPDATE:

Because of all the interest in this thread, I've place all of the video content of Patrick Mahomes II's college career, and draft day goodness into a single post that can be found here. Enjoy!
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 06:45 PM 08-07-2017
I haven't done specific research, but I'm sure that QBs who are groomed for some period of time are typically better off than those who are not. Just thinking through names in my head.

As mentioned before though, it's always circumstantial. Teams who draft QBs high in the draft often don't have the luxury of sitting them because they don't have a solid QB in place.
[Reply]
penbrook 06:55 PM 08-07-2017
Since I can't post threads and this has to do with the Chiefs and since we don't have a Chiefs news thread

Steve Wyche @wyche89
Just spoke to former Chiefs and Chargers CB Brandon Flowers. He told me that he will officially retire Tuesday @nflnetwork
[Reply]
Rasputin 06:59 PM 08-07-2017
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
I haven't done specific research, but I'm sure that QBs who are groomed for some period of time are typically better off than those who are not. Just thinking through names in my head.

As mentioned before though, it's always circumstantial. Teams who draft QBs high in the draft often don't have the luxury of sitting them because they don't have a solid QB in place.
Dan Marino was passed over by the Chiefs and late first rounder but he started his rookie season and found great success and taking the Dolphins to a Super Bowl. I believe he would be within months of same age as Patrick is this season turning 22.

Yet other quarterbacks get demolished so it's a case by case and I don't think there is an exact art to it but some players thrive in being put out there with learning on the fly. Chiefs broke Ryan Leaf in half his third game but was doing pretty good his first couple games in the NFL. Same year Peyton Manning was I think 1-15 but went on to a HOF career.

Patrick has the upside and potential to be a Super Star but it won't happen over night and he has to work for it and the coaches are making him work for it thus making him start at the bottom 3rd string. He is given opportunity to move up the ranks into the second string backup but he is the one who has to prove himself to the coaches.

I like that the Chiefs aren't giving him anything he has to work for it. He will earn his starting job and be better for it.
[Reply]
rico 07:13 PM 08-07-2017
Originally Posted by penbrook:
Since I can't post threads and this has to do with the Chiefs and since we don't have a Chiefs news thread

Steve Wyche @wyche89
Just spoke to former Chiefs and Chargers CB Brandon Flowers. He told me that he will officially retire Tuesday @nflnetwork
Man have you ever gone into full-fledged troll mode....
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 07:16 PM 08-07-2017
Originally Posted by rico:
Man have you ever gone into full-fledged troll mode....
He's not a troll. Just because he doesn't agree with the majority's opinion here doesn't mean he is a troll. So stop with that BS.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 07:19 PM 08-07-2017
Originally Posted by KC Tattoo:
Patrick has the upside and potential to be a Super Star but it won't happen over night and he has to work for it and the coaches are making him work for it thus making him start at the bottom 3rd string. He is given opportunity to move up the ranks into the second string backup but he is the one who has to prove himself to the coaches.

I like that the Chiefs aren't giving him anything he has to work for it. He will earn his starting job and be better for it.
I definitely like that they are making him earn everything, as should be expected. Everything is better that way.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 07:25 PM 08-07-2017
50 minute podcast all about Mahomes---> http://www.blogtalkradio.com/mnchiefsfan/podcast
[Reply]
rico 07:30 PM 08-07-2017
Originally Posted by PASmithGuy:
He's not a troll. Just because he doesn't agree with the majority's opinion here doesn't mean he is a troll. So stop with that BS.
Oh shut the fuck up, cum guzzler. The guy is posting tweets about Brandon Flowers retiring in the Mahomes thread. Did you not read that or was your Alex-only ass just chomping at the bit to find a reason to disagree with me? Hypocrite.

I don't care if the guy does it...no skin off my sack...was just pointing out the obvious...he is trolling.
[Reply]
penbrook 07:33 PM 08-07-2017
PAChiefsGuy gets it!
[Reply]
rico 07:34 PM 08-07-2017
Originally Posted by penbrook:
PAChiefsGuy gets it!
:-)
[Reply]
RealSNR 07:40 PM 08-07-2017
I like his selection of threads.

"I can't post threads, so this needs to go somewhere... let's see, where do I put this unlinked and unembeded tweet? I could use the search function for 10 goddamn seconds and bump an old Flowers thread. Or I could put it in the training camp thread, which is less optimal, but it at least has multiple topics being discussed at once... OH! I KNOW! The Mahomes thread! That's a much better place to put it!"
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 07:51 PM 08-07-2017
I definitely like that they are making him earn everything, as should be expected. Everything is better that way.
I like the part where they say, "we can't break him". This kid came to work, and he lives to be challenged. I'm reading about Jay fucking Cutler today, and all I can do is say to myself, "thank god Mahomes is the absolute 180 of this useless prick".

Originally Posted by RealSNR:
I like his selection of threads.

"I can't post threads, so this needs to go somewhere... let's see, where do I put this unlinked and unembeded tweet? I could use the search function for 10 goddamn seconds and bump an old Flowers thread. Or I could put it in the training camp thread, which is less optimal, but it at least has multiple topics being discussed at once... OH! I KNOW! The Mahomes thread! That's a much better place to put it!"
:-) No shit.

(but he ain't be trollin, no sah!)
[Reply]
Chiefnj2 08:04 PM 08-07-2017

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sport...wyzv8cgje8siyk
[Reply]
KChiefs1 08:08 PM 08-07-2017
Dan Marino reflects on his rookie season:

It's been 34 years since Dan Marino broke into the National Football League as a rookie quarterback for the Miami Dolphins, but he remembers it like it was yesterday.

Marino's Hall-of-Fame career had two beginnings back in 1983 - his first appearance in relief of David Woodley in the fourth quarter of a Monday night loss at the Los Angeles Raiders and his first start three weeks later in Miami against the Buffalo Bills.

Historians choose to recall Marino's first touchdown pass to tight end Joe Rose against the Raiders as a sign of things to come, rather than how that Bills game began for him at home.

"My first two series I threw two picks," said Marino. "You've got to have a short memory."

With that approach already ingrained in him, Marino went on to throw three touchdown passes to keep Miami in a tight game with its division rival from Buffalo. The Bills pulled out a 38-35 overtime victory, but the Dolphins would win nine of their last 10 games behind Marino, setting the stage for his legendary second season in 1984.

Marino looked at the behind the scenes for a moment when he shared the story of a conversation that took place on the sidelines between him and veteran safety Lyle Blackwood.

"It was my first start and after the national anthem (safety) Lyle Blackwood comes over to me and he says, 'Dan, it's your first start and I don't want to put any pressure on you at all, but if you play bad we're going to lose.'" Marino recalled. "Then he ran on the field and I was like, 'Okay.' That was it."

And that was it, as Marino never looked back and continued to take the league by storm for 15 more seasons, setting every passing record imaginable until Brett Favre passed him years later. His teammates knew right away that he was going to be something special.

"He was unbelievable," Rose said. "He was accurate, confident and it was just a matter of time. From day one he was so good and everybody looked and just knew it was going to be different. He had the goods."

Even though Marino came into training camp that year dead set on winning the starting job, he knew the odds were not in his favor with David Woodley having started in the Super Bowl.

Hall-of-Fame Head Coach Don Shula told Marino to prepare as if he was going to be the starter and to be ready for whenever that moment arrived, which Marino believes helped with his development.

"I was very fortunate when I first came in the league as I had some talented players around me like Mark Clayton, Mark Duper and Nat Moore," Marino said. "Rookie QB's are going to have to grow as much as they can on the run and that's part of the deal. I would tell them to have a short memory. You're going to have some bad games so you have to keep it going and just turn it loose."

Marino had some thoughts on one of this year's rookie quarterbacks, Patrick Mahomes II. "I've seen him run around pretty good and he made some plays. He reminds me of me except he has better wheels." Marino joked. "They(Chiefs) wouldn't have picked him tenth if they didn't think he could be a big-time player in the league. Andy Reid knows quarterbacks."

Considering the fact that Marino was one of the big-time players of his era and set that as his goal back in that rookie season should only further that opinion.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 08:18 PM 08-07-2017
Originally Posted by Chiefnj2:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.sport...wyzv8cgje8siyk
Thanks, good article.

I would say that overall, the big thing for young QBs is what are they surrounded with? All of the guys who are having success these days are assisted with either great OLs, great receivers, great defenses, etc.... they never do well on bad teams.

Then, as they get older and ultimately better, the pressure to have such a great surrounding cast decreases a little bit.
[Reply]
Page 391 of 2688
« First < 291341381387388389390391 3923933943954014414918911391 > Last »
Up