ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Earliest you'd get a punter?
Direckshun 06:54 AM 04-11-2024
Several things are worth consideration.

1. Tommy Townsend was insanely good the last couple years.

2. Effective punting, especially with a defense as good as ours, is critical.

3. Matt Araiza was a top candidate at one point, but the Chiefs aren't even his first stop since his acquittal. He had a tryout with the Jets in 2023, and they didn't elect to sign him. So, he either got really good in the past year, or he's probably a replacement-level punter, and the Chiefs need a new one.

4. Forward to 20:00 of Brett Kollman's Q&A video:

That leads to my question:

There's a couple really good punters in this class -- would you invest a pick in one? Would you take your chances in UDFA? Or are you comfortable rolling into the season with a potentially replacement-level punter.
[Reply]
Direckshun 12:31 PM 04-11-2024
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Drafting a Kicker is something maybe consider in the 5th onward. Drafting a Punter, on the other hand, is not something I'd ever consider. We don't need either though.
Interesting. Do you think Colquitt was worth a 3rd? 15 or so years of elite punting.

I mean, I could legitimately see the team take a pick as early as the 4th if the value was right. But I'm just assuming two of the punters on the board are super good.
[Reply]
Direckshun 12:33 PM 04-11-2024
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
OT, IOL, WR, RB and TE of the future......those all require draft capital.
You're not wrong, but I'd say our hole at punter is bigger than a couple of those, and the ability to fill the need matches to this moment easier than a couple of those, notably TE.
[Reply]
raybec 4 12:36 PM 04-11-2024
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
You're not wrong, but I'd say our hole at punter is bigger than a couple of those, and the ability to fill the need matches to this moment easier than a couple of those, notably TE.
I'm still not sure what logic leads you to believe we even have a hole at punter.
[Reply]
staylor26 12:38 PM 04-11-2024
I think it would be wise for the team to snag another punter and have them battle it out in camp. I wouldn't put a ton of faith in Araiza. If he was an actual god at punting, he'd be on a roster.
Holy fuck, this is the epitome of being obtuse.
[Reply]
Direckshun 12:56 PM 04-11-2024
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
I'm still not sure what logic leads you to believe we even have a hole at punter.
Until I know he's good at punting, I can't say he's good at punting.

The last punt I saw him boot was three years ago. The Jets took a look at him and elected to go elsewhere.
[Reply]
Direckshun 12:57 PM 04-11-2024
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Holy ****, this is the epitome of being obtuse.
lmao buddy, you've got issues.

Who gets angry on an internet message board over punters.
[Reply]
raybec 4 01:11 PM 04-11-2024

The last punt I saw him boot was three years ago. The Jets took a look at him and elected to go elsewhere.
The Jets had just signed Morstead three weeks prior to working out Araiza and were going to be on the hook for 1.1 million in cap whether he kicked for them or not.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 01:17 PM 04-11-2024
I think it would be wise for the team to snag another punter and have them battle it out in camp. I wouldn't put a ton of faith in Araiza. If he was an actual god at punting, he'd be on a roster.
He.. is.. on.. a.. roster. OURS. I'm not drawing any conclusions about him because the retarded jets didn't want him. What have the Jets done lately to make you think "Whoa shit, better go as they go." They are as close to the 0-16 Lions team as they are the prime bellicheck patriots that knew when to hold em and when to fold em.
[Reply]
staylor26 01:23 PM 04-11-2024
lmao buddy, you've got issues.

Who gets angry on an internet message board over punters.
Nobody is angry. I think this is hilarious and typical of you.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 02:17 PM 04-11-2024
This is maybe the most Direkshun thread of them all. I find it absurd, but do enjoy a lot of your work. Never change buddy.

But come on. What a weird place to doubt the front office lol.
[Reply]
ModSocks 02:28 PM 04-11-2024

:-)

I like Direckshun, i really do. Wish he'd post more, matter of fact. This shit makes me laugh. Its part of the reason i like him. I mean...i get it...i guess. But seriously tho....

Obama What GIFfrom Obama GIFs

[Reply]
ThrobProng 03:25 PM 04-11-2024
The earliest I'd get a punter is the summer of 2025, if Araiza doesn't work out.
[Reply]
Dante84 05:06 PM 04-11-2024
What if told you he was on a roster….
[Reply]
Dante84 05:13 PM 04-11-2024

Do you think in the past two years that he went from being the greatest college punter / nfl prospect of all time, to not being able to be a top 32 punter, despite having zero injuries in that time?

Do you think Toub / Veach signed him and let Tommy walk without having him come try out so they could evaluate his current ability?

Do you think he’ll fail so spectacularly that we should use a draft pick on a punter instead of a UDFA, despite having the greatest quarterback of all time?
[Reply]
kccrow 06:20 PM 04-11-2024
Interesting. Do you think Colquitt was worth a 3rd? 15 or so years of elite punting.

I mean, I could legitimately see the team take a pick as early as the 4th if the value was right. But I'm just assuming two of the punters on the board are super good.
No, I don't.

There is not such an appreciable difference between NFL-caliber punters that it affects games in some meaningful way. The ability to pin a team inside the 20 4 more times a season than any other average guy doesn't mean much. The ability to average 1 more yard per punt doesn't move the needle. It's a fallacy. When I'm home, I'll see if I can find the data on it.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Up