ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 98 of 162
« First < 48889495969798 99100101102108148 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>So it’s really just the Steelers [or Bills] right?
RunKC 09:41 PM 09-28-2020
I mean goddamn this conference seems wrapped up doesn’t it? Not trying to jinx us but it really seems like injuries are our biggest opponent at this point.

The Ravens are fucking frauds. They’re a warm up for us. We literally made these guys look like the JV squad the last 2 meetings.

And sure the Bills and Titans may make us work for the win, but in all honesty we have to play pretty goddamn shitty to lose to those guys.

In order to have any shot at beating us you need 3 things:

1. Elite pass rush
2. Top 10 QB capable of making critical plays
3. Overall talented roster

Steelers are the only team in the AFC that has those 3 things, and even them it’s not like they’re some serious threat like the Patriots a couple years back, but they seem like the best of the rest.

I think at this point it would be disappointing for this team to not get to the SB 3 straight times.

We’re just that good, and we keep drafting well and get better and better.
[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 07:38 PM 12-11-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
TOP may or may not be a critical factor for most NFL teams, but it's not for the Chiefs.

Case in point, last season in the Divisional round of the playoffs vs. HOU, the Texans had the ball for nearly 35 minutes, the Chiefs slightly more than 25 minutes. And the final score was 51-31, Chiefs, as we all know.

And the Chiefs win a remarkable percentage of their games without winning the TOP battle.

The reason is simple: the Chiefs score on more of their possessions than nearly every other team. Call it points per possession, if you like.

Either way, the Chiefs are much more efficient than 90% of the NFL, scoring over 60% of their possessions, and scoring TDs more than 50% of those possessions in which they score any points. The rest of the league is well below those numbers.

So the Chiefs don't need to win TOP. They just have to score more efficiently than their competition.
I understand that we score quickly, but a 35/25 split is very different from a 40/20 split. Because we can score so quickly, an extra 5 minutes of possession could be one or two more offensive possessions.

The more opportunities we have to score, the more we are going to score. It's math. How can we get more opportunities to score? By having more time of possession.

Just because we have won games with only 20 minutes time of possession, doesn't mean we will always win having just 20 minutes time of possession.

Again, I just don't understand how anyone can argue that time of possession doesn't matter. WTF do people think Patrick Mahomes would say about getting more possessions in a game? Does anyone think he would be like, nah, we only need 20 minutes to score more than our opponents. Hell no he wouldn't say that. He would say the more time that our offense has the ball the better.

You know what else more time of possession for our offense means? It means that our defense is on the field less, and right now, the less time they are on the field, the better.

Time of possession helps our offense and defense.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Megatron96 07:55 PM 12-11-2020
Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic:
I understand that we score quickly, but a 35/25 split is very different from a 40/20 split. Because we can score so quickly, an extra 5 minutes of possession could be one or two more offensive possessions.

The more opportunities we have to score, the more we are going to score. It's math. How can we get more opportunities to score? By having more time of possession.

Just because we have won games with only 20 minutes time of possession, doesn't mean we will always win having just 20 minutes time of possession.

Again, I just don't understand how anyone can argue that time of possession doesn't matter. WTF do people think Patrick Mahomes would say about getting more possessions in a game? Does anyone think he would be like, nah, we only need 20 minutes to score more than our opponents. Hell no he wouldn't say that. He would say the more time that our offense has the ball the better.

You know what else more time of possession for our offense means? It means that our defense is on the field less, and right now, the less time they are on the field, the better.

Time of possession helps our offense and defense.

My point is that TOP is incidental for the Chiefs. The number of actual possessions is far more important for KC, not the amount of time they actually possess the ball. Right now, every team is trying to limit the Chiefs to about 9 possessions, while against the rest of the league the average number of possessions is more like 11-12. With 9 possessions the Chiefs average 5 scores, usually something like 3-4 TDs and a FG or two. With 10 possessions, 4-5 TDs and a couple Fgs, and so on.

And Andy usually isn't terribly interested in possessing the ball for 8 minutes at a time. He wants to score within about 6-8 plays and 4-5 minutes per possession, if not faster. Which is why we have so many 2-4 snap drives.

But once the Chiefs have a two or three score lead, Andy then goes into TOP mode. Not before.

And this is how our team is constructed. For now.

The firepower is on offense; the defense just has to be good enough to slow the other team down. Force a FG instead of a TD. Once that lead is established, the defense is designed to take advantage of a pass-only offense. Throw the ball every down and eventually other teams make mistakes that either end in turnovers or punts. This is why our defense is only okay against the run, but pretty good against the pass, specifically on the edges with our corners. Then Mathieu patrols the middle, and tackles TEs and RBs for minimal YAC.

So for a Chiefs opponent to try and keep up, they have to throw down the sidelines into the strength of the secondary, and probably under some duress, which invites mistakes.
[Reply]
Basileus777 08:50 PM 12-11-2020
Time of possession is not just meaningless for the Chiefs, it's completely meaningless in general. It has no correlation with winning football games.

Time of possession is an outdated way to look at football, it's like talking about RBIs.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 08:52 PM 12-11-2020
I am seeing ESPN and some outlets now posit that the Buffalo Bills have the best chance to beat us.

The QB that had less than 100 yards against us (without all our best players) going into the 4th quarter?!

Well, if that is the best the NFL has for us I like our chances.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 09:20 PM 12-11-2020
No. Our defense versus their dominant time-of-possession eating running backs and strong play action passing games built off of their running attack.

I am sure you said David Carr versus Patrick Mahomes, lol, right before we lost our only game this year.

Its foolish to think that any playoff game is a certain victory. Both of those teams feature elite running backs. Hell, Cleveland has two elite running backs. The only chance teams have to win is to limit our offensive possessions, or score 40 points like the Raiders did.

Newsflash: We aren't unbeatable.

Good lord. Aren't you the same dude pissing his pants over a mediocre tight end? :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:18 PM 12-11-2020
So, if they had time to run more than 6 plays, we probably would have won. More time of possession.

I'm sorry, maybe I am missing the point. People in my office are quarantined because of COVID-19, and I am doing the job of three people, so I am probably not understanding. If that's the case, I apologize.

You've got it backwards. TOP wasn't lopsided in the first half. The teams ran a similar number of plays and scored a similar number of points on the same number of possessions.

The Texans totally dominated the TOP in the 4th quarter but not because they kept the ball away from our offense. Our offense HAD the ball, TWICE, in the 4th quarter and kept it for a grand total of 1 minute and 21 seconds.

The Texans didn't dominate 4th quarter time of possession because they had the ball and kept it away from us. They dominated the 4th quarter time of possession because we HAD the ball and kept giving it back in 3 plays.

No, they defense couldn't get a stop and let them take a couple of long drives but the point is, if the offense had done anything at all in the 4th quarter, there wouldn't have been any time left for those long drives.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:19 PM 12-11-2020
Originally Posted by Mav:
It really wouldn’t be the Qbs. It would be Chubb Hunt and Henry. If the Chiefs stop the run those teams have no chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Even when the Chiefs don't stop the run, most teams have no chance.

They would have beaten the Titans last year during the regular season. It wasn't Henry's total yards and TOP that got them, it was him breaking a long run late in the game.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:24 PM 12-11-2020
Here's where you're getting hung up.

We get more opportunities to score by having more POSSESSIONS. It has nothing to do with time. Those possessions could be one bomb for a TD or 10 plays for a TD, all that matters is having a chance to score.

When the offense does its job, yes, we will always win, even having just 20 minutes of TOP, that's the whole point.

The only time playing "keep away" has ever worked was last year when Mahomes was gimpy for the first quarter of the season.

Again, I just don't understand how anyone can argue that time of possession doesn't matter. WTF do people think Patrick Mahomes would say about getting more possessions in a game?
Again, everybody knows we want more possessions. More possessions, with this offense, simply does not equal more TIME. You're conflating two different things.
[Reply]
keg in kc 10:47 PM 12-11-2020
More time of possession does not equal more opportunities to score. More possessions means more time to score. Which generally means scoring faster, not possessing the ball for longer periods of time. Holding on the ball for long drives is actually counter productive if your intention is to score a lot of points.

And obviously defense plays a large part in this equation, too. You want the opponent to have shorter drives too.

So in that regard, you do want to win time of possession. But, again, it's about having more short but productive (for you) possessions on both sides of the ball, gaining time of possession through quantity, and then scoring/stopping the opponent being quality.

For instance:

4 minute TD scoring drive
2 minute forced punt
4 minute TD scoring drive
2 minute forced punt

is better than...

8 minute scoring drive
4 minute field goal allowed, or even forced punt

etc.
[Reply]
Hayneplane 05:21 AM 12-12-2020
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
I am seeing ESPN and some outlets now posit that the Buffalo Bills have the best chance to beat us.

The QB that had less than 100 yards against us (without all our best players) going into the 4th quarter?!

Well, if that is the best the NFL has for us I like our chances.
Are they saying best chance or big chance as it makes a huge difference. They are a good team and may well be next best in the AFC currently but they are a low chance to beat a fully plugged in Chiefs team.

Pretending any further than that is just creating hype to get viewing figures.
[Reply]
Mav 10:38 AM 12-12-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Even when the Chiefs don't stop the run, most teams have no chance.

They would have beaten the Titans last year during the regular season. It wasn't Henry's total yards and TOP that got them, it was him breaking a long run late in the game.

This is true. But teams are definitely not winning a air raid party versus the Chiefs.

[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 10:42 AM 12-12-2020
Browns are fraud as fuck
[Reply]
Mav 12:03 PM 12-12-2020
Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball:
Browns are fraud as f***

No argument. They have the worst set of linebackers and secondary in the league. The only chance they have is if Myles gets home.

[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 12:06 PM 12-12-2020
I did love them exposing the Titans. Those fans were so mouthy in the AFC Championship game until Mahones soul stealing run. Never heard a peep rest of game.
[Reply]
O.city 12:07 PM 12-12-2020
It’s all about possessions. The more the better for kc
[Reply]
Page 98 of 162
« First < 48889495969798 99100101102108148 > Last »
Up