ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 239 of 270
« First < 139189229235236237238239 240241242243249 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***OFFICIAL 2019 Chiefs Training Camp Thread***
RealSNR 02:58 PM 07-23-2019
Tweets from https://twitter.com/RMSWeather/lists/chiefs

In the meantime, this gem from Andy Reid's press conference today:

Andy Reid was asked if he did anything fun or exotic this offseason: “I attacked a couple Chile rellenos.”

— Jeff Darlington (@JeffDarlington) July 23, 2019

[Reply]
O.city 03:49 PM 08-15-2019
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Ick.

Carlos Hyde isn't exactly Mike Alstott, but he's probably the best short yardage back we've got. Otherwise we're probably going to give those carries to Darwin Thompson, and as powerful of a runner as he is, he's also barely above 200 lbs. And Darrell Williams sucks. I don't want him getting those carries.

I just don't understand what Tremon Smith brings to the team as a RB. Even if he was still a bad corner, he had tools to work with and could have continued to improve throughout the season. I don't like how we gave up on him so early at that position. All so we could square peg him into a position he has no business playing.

And are we sure Byron Pringle isn't just as good of a kickoff returner as Tremon Smith? Perhaps more inexperienced, but these days with the way the NFL is trying to neuter kickoffs, you don't exactly need Tyreek Hill back there.
We talked about this in another thread, but why do you need a short yardage back that can’t make people miss? Give me the guy that can make people miss or break tackles not just try and run over people
[Reply]
In58men 03:51 PM 08-15-2019
Ick.

Carlos Hyde isn't exactly Mike Alstott, but he's probably the best short yardage back we've got. Otherwise we're probably going to give those carries to Darwin Thompson, and as powerful of a runner as he is, he's also barely above 200 lbs. And Darrell Williams sucks. I don't want him getting those carries.

I just don't understand what Tremon Smith brings to the team as a RB. Even if he was still a bad corner, he had tools to work with and could have continued to improve throughout the season. I don't like how we gave up on him so early at that position. All so we could square peg him into a position he has no business playing.

And are we sure Byron Pringle isn't just as good of a kickoff returner as Tremon Smith? Perhaps more inexperienced, but these days with the way the NFL is trying to neuter kickoffs, you don't exactly need Tyreek Hill back there.
I think we might be seeing a little more of Sherman, especially on short yardage plays.
[Reply]
-King- 03:59 PM 08-15-2019
Ick.

Other than the fact that he's bigger, what makes him the best short yardage back? Damien Williams averaged more yards on 3rd and short last year than he did. Like o.city has been saying, I think we need to get rid of the motion we need a big slow back as our short yardage back.
[Reply]
RealSNR 04:00 PM 08-15-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
We talked about this in another thread, but why do you need a short yardage back that can’t make people miss? Give me the guy that can make people miss or break tackles not just try and run over people
It's not about running over people. But you do want SOME bulk and mass so you don't go down too easily.

Darwin Thompson is great at keeping his legs moving, and he does pack a punch when making contact. He's also small and able to fit through holes easily. Maybe he'd be good enough. I don't know. I haven't seen enough of him to know how well he can propel himself forward if he already finds a defender 6 inches away from his face as soon as he takes the handoff. Can he shake his way out of that? Can he take a hit and "bounce" the guy off by not giving him a clean hit and then power through?

Hyde has a little more skill in that area. At the very least, he's a different type of back than anybody we currently have on the roster. And best of all, he's not fucking Tremon Smith.
[Reply]
O.city 04:03 PM 08-15-2019
It's not about running over people. But you do want SOME bulk and mass so you don't go down too easily.

Darwin Thompson is great at keeping his legs moving, and he does pack a punch when making contact. He's also small and able to fit through holes easily. Maybe he'd be good enough. I don't know. I haven't seen enough of him to know how well he can propel himself forward if he already finds a defender 6 inches away from his face as soon as he takes the handoff. Can he shake his way out of that? Can he take a hit and "bounce" the guy off by not giving him a clean hit and then power through?

Hyde has a little more skill in that area. At the very least, he's a different type of back than anybody we currently have on the roster. And best of all, he's not ****ing Tremon Smith.
Maybe so. I wouldn’t keep Jude but they may

It goes back, for me, to when they used to give those short yardage reps to Thomas jones over Charles because he was the “short yardage” guy.

Fuck that. Give it to your best guy that breaks tackles
[Reply]
RealSNR 04:04 PM 08-15-2019
Originally Posted by -King-:
Other than the fact that he's bigger, what makes him the best short yardage back? Damien Williams averaged more yards on 3rd and short last year than he did. Like o.city has been saying, I think we need to get rid of the motion we need a big slow back as our short yardage back.
Hyde's not that slow. He accelerates pretty quickly for a guy his size. Doesn't have that great of a top end speed, but that's not really what we need him for anyway.

Again, if the Chiefs are confident that going with a smaller guy like Thompson who can batter through and fit in smaller places, then sure. Whatever.

I've been in the position of defending Carlos Hyde practically all camp, and I don't really want to because I don't care enough about him. I just think people are going way the fuck overboard. Practically from the moment we signed him, everybody said, "Cut the bastard." I get that his signing was an insurance policy in case we couldn't find a guy like Darwin Thompson in the draft, but since we did find Thompson, that doesn't mean Hyde doesn't have value in this backfield.

I'd rather keep Hyde than Darrell Williams, that's for sure.
[Reply]
-King- 04:08 PM 08-15-2019
Hyde's not that slow. He accelerates pretty quickly for a guy his size. Doesn't have that great of a top end speed, but that's not really what we need him for anyway.

Again, if the Chiefs are confident that going with a smaller guy like Thompson who can batter through and fit in smaller places, then sure. Whatever.

I've been in the position of defending Carlos Hyde practically all camp, and I don't really want to because I don't care enough about him. I just think people are going way the fuck overboard. Practically from the moment we signed him, everybody said, "Cut the bastard." I get that his signing was an insurance policy in case we couldn't find a guy like Darwin Thompson in the draft, but since we did find Thompson, that doesn't mean Hyde doesn't have value in this backfield.

I'd rather keep Hyde than Darrell Williams, that's for sure.
I'd also rather keep Hyde than Darrell Williams but I don't think he wants to be a #3 back and I think they'd save money by cutting him.

But still, the way the league is now and with the skill players we have, we don't need a "power back" for short yardage. Especially when Williams was better on 3rd and shorts last year anyway.
[Reply]
RunKC 04:23 PM 08-15-2019
It’s pretty telling that Hyde wasn’t a part of the goal line situations a few days ago and Darwin was.

I think we’re going full Texas Tech Air Reid gents. There’s going to be speed literally everywhere on the field.

I don’t think they are taking time to move a 4.3 guy to RB to just fuck around and cut him.
[Reply]
RedRaider56 04:50 PM 08-15-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
It’s pretty telling that Hyde wasn’t a part of the goal line situations a few days ago and Darwin was.

I think we’re going full Texas Tech Air Reid gents. There’s going to be speed literally everywhere on the field.

I don’t think they are taking time to move a 4.3 guy to RB to just fuck around and cut him.
One of the biggest short comings of the true Air Raid was short yardage situations, especially around the goal line. Of course, a big part of the issue was the failure of Tech's coaches to incorporate a true TE or other heavies like a FB in that situation.

Hopefully, Reid has some great ideas to get TDs in those situations.
[Reply]
el borracho 04:52 PM 08-15-2019
Lol. Just put Saunders or Mackenzie in at the goal line.
[Reply]
Coogs 04:56 PM 08-15-2019
Game 17 in Denver two years ago, Sherman was the main running back for Mahomes for the majority of the game. He did very well on 3rd and short.
[Reply]
Easy 6 04:58 PM 08-15-2019
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Yeah it's a good read. I gave KC Star a click. Lynch me now.

It also had very little to do with football. Don't forget it's still Brooke Pryor. And it's probably the best thing she'll write all year.

The article is mostly all about Mahomes & Reid drifting together with their neural bridge, and the offense is their Jaeger.
I’m not reading her bullshit, but do LOVE your Pacific Rim comparison reference... nice work

With those two at the controls, the Kaiju are SCREWED
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 05:01 PM 08-15-2019
Originally Posted by el borracho:
Lol. Just put Saunders or Mackenzie in at the goal line.
Pretty sure Saunders played RB in High School. Also athletic as fuck for a man of his size. If he can dive nobody is stopping him from getting in.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 05:01 PM 08-15-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
So Nate Taylor thinks Carlos Hyde will get cut and Tremon Smith will make the roster.

I agree with him
Had this exact thought last night.

Smith’s versatility wins the job.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 05:25 PM 08-15-2019
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
Had this exact thought last night.

Smith’s versatility wins the job.
Hyde can block.

He brings nothing else.
[Reply]
Page 239 of 270