ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 8
< 123 4567 > Last »
Media Center>Top 10 favorite films of the 2010s?
sully1983 09:51 PM 12-09-2019
Here's mine ....

1. Drive
2. The Social Network
3. Hell or High Water
4. Mad Max: Fury Road
5. Blade Runner 2049
6. Killer Joe
7. Wind River
8. Gone Girl
9. Blue Ruin
10. Black Swan

(honorable mention : Killing Them Softly )
[Reply]
DeepPurple 08:58 AM 12-12-2019
There are some movies that are fun to watch but I didn't include because they are what some people might consider to be mindless. "Drive" was mentioned and I just looked at my IMDB score and I gave it an 8.0, I didn't include it because it was fun to watch, but as some have said, I can't remember what it was about. Another just like that was "Baby Driver" which I also gave an 8, although I think more for just the music, the soundtrack made the movie. My third guilty pleasure I didn't include was "Hardcore Henry", which I also gave an 8. That was really fun to watch, but what was it about? On my list for example, The Girl on the Train I can tell you everything that went on in that movie, I believe I've seen it 5 times, that's a memorable movie.




[Reply]
scho63 09:38 AM 12-12-2019
I love learning about movies I've never heard of. I'm gonna watch The Girl on the Train within a week.

I watched Baby Driver this past week just by accident and really thought it was pretty cool. Liked the way Jon Hamm played his character.

I see some of the following great movies on lists here;
-Gone Girl (WATCHED)
-Hell or High Water (WATCHED)
-10 Cloverfield Lane
-Moneyball (WATCHED)
-Wolf of Wall Street (WATCHED)
-Django Unchained (WATCHED)
-Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (WATCHED)
-12 Years a Slave (2013) (WATCHED)
-Argo (WATCHED)
-American Hustle (WATCHED)
-Moonrise Kingdom (WATCHED)

I'm sure I'm missing many more. The Big Short is normally a movie I will find a way to watch but so far I haven't.

I'm not a sci-fi fan nor do I really like things like Mad Max or other crazy movies of killing and violence.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:12 AM 12-12-2019
Originally Posted by scho63:
I'm not a sci-fi fan nor do I really like things like Mad Max or other crazy movies of killing and violence.
I was not expecting to like it, but I watched it because the buzz was incessant.

And there's a reason for that.

It certainly is a crazy movie with killing and violence, but the positives for it are.

It's a singular vision. Every frame is the creator's creation, and it's wildly inventive.

It's ALL practical effects. The sheer volume of innovation and inspiration merits respect regardless of what you think of the movie itself, or the genre in general.

And despite being wild and wooly and endlessly inventive, all with practical effects and immense sets and set pieces, it still presents a coherent and moving narrative. The creator makes sure to move the camera to key in on the emotional core of what is happening at every critical moment.

As a begrudging initial viewer who ended up putting it high on my list, I'd say even if the concept doesn't appeal to you, you'll end up appreciating the execution and owe it to yourself to experience it at least once.
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 10:25 AM 12-12-2019
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anyone list Captain America: Winter Soldier.
[Reply]
Gravedigger 12:26 PM 12-12-2019
Inception
Captain America: Winter Soldier
Mad Max: Fury Road
Edge of Tomorrow
Inside Out
Life of Pi
Skyfall
Logan
Fast Five
John Wick

Warrior and Wonder Woman are up there too.
[Reply]
loochy 01:49 PM 12-12-2019
Empire Strikes Back
Beverly Hills Cop
A Clockwork Orange
Gone With the Wind
Top Gun
Return of the King
Marley and Me
The Land Before Time
The Matrix
Austin Powers
[Reply]
Detoxing 03:25 PM 12-12-2019
There's just too damn many movies to even remember them all.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 03:37 PM 12-12-2019
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
There's just too damn many movies to even remember them all.
I was thinking this effort could be improved upon down the line if the participants picked out one of their unique, or at least minority, picks they are particularly passionate about and make a case for it specifically.

I mean, I don't think anyone sentient in 2019 needs to be sold or dissuaded from a viewing of The Dark Knight Rises, but for instance, I'd be interested to hear more about Bucky Larson. . . . err. . . .
[Reply]
Frazod 03:41 PM 12-12-2019
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
There's just too damn many movies to even remember them all.
I actually went through IMDb's top 200 movies for each year from 2010-2019 and came up with a list of about 30 that I really liked. Narrowed that down to the ten I listed.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 04:38 PM 12-12-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I actually went through IMDb's top 200 movies for each year from 2010-2019 and came up with a list of about 30 that I really liked. Narrowed that down to the ten I listed.
That's what I did, I have 2500 movies rated on IMDB. I pulled up my ratings and selected newest ratings and went through to 2010 and looked for my 10, 9 and 8 ratings and came up the list I posted. I'm surprised I'm the only one that picked The Shape of Water. I thought it had everything, sci-fi, mystery, suspense, great acting, I believe it would be a great flick for TNT or TBS to run on the weeksends in place of Forrest Gump. Here's my list again.

American Hustle
Silver Linings Playbook
The Girl on the Train
Gone Girl
Ex Machina
The Shape of Water
The Revenant
Blue Jasmine
Black Swam
The Town
[Reply]
Frazod 04:49 PM 12-12-2019
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:
That's what I did, I have 2500 movies rated on IMDB. I pulled up my ratings and selected newest ratings and went through to 2010 and looked for my 10, 9 and 8 ratings and came up the list I posted. I'm surprised I'm the only one that picked The Shape of Water. I thought it had everything, sci-fi, mystery, suspense, great acting, I believe it would be a great flick for TNT or TBS to run on the weeksends in place of Forrest Gump. Here's my list again.

American Hustle
Silver Linings Playbook
The Girl on the Train
Gone Girl
Ex Machina
The Shape of Water
The Revenant
Blue Jasmine
Black Swam
The Town
Between the cost of going to the movies being so expensive now and not subscribing to the movie channels, I miss a lot more movies now that I would have seen once upon a time. Hell, I've only seen three of these movies (Silver Linings Playbook, Ex Machina and Revenant).
[Reply]
Shoes 05:30 PM 12-12-2019
Surprised that I haven't seen Whiplash in more lists- any one care to comment?
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 07:30 PM 12-12-2019
Ffffuck forgot about Whiplash. And The Other Guys, too.

Damn. I want to say both supplant Gatsby but I'm such a Baz fanboi that I dunno if I can give it the push.


Also John Wick deserves recognition for obvious reasons.

Hm..


WRT to Shoes' comment, this is a bit long but this guy does a great job breaking down the movie from the standpoint of its backdrop: jazz school

Spoiler!

[Reply]
BWillie 07:30 PM 12-12-2019
Originally Posted by Beef Supreme:
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anyone list Captain America: Winter Soldier.
That is because it's a children's movie.
[Reply]
Kman34 08:09 PM 12-12-2019
Originally Posted by Shoes:
Surprised that I haven't seen Whiplash in more lists- any one care to comment?
Love this movie... Jk Simmons was excellent in this...
[Reply]
Page 3 of 8
< 123 4567 > Last »
Up