ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 19
« First < 56789 10111213 > Last »
Washington DC and The Holy Land>What is the conservative position on student loans?
NJChiefsFan27 08:59 AM 05-24-2019
Specifically two things.

1. Is there a problem with the way things are done currently?

2. If you believe the status quo is not working, what should be done from a policy perspective to address it?
[Reply]
neech 11:30 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
If the kids would simply serve their nation, they'd have a way to pay for their education.

Worked for me...

What degree did you get while in the service?
[Reply]
scho63 11:36 AM 05-24-2019
The government stepped in and took over the student loan business an fucked it all up. Who didn't see that coming!

The Dems want to do that with Health Insurance and Bank Interest Rates and Wages and just about everything else.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 11:36 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by neech:
What degree did you get while in the service?
I didn't, I was kind of busy... It was after..
[Reply]
RodeoPants2 11:43 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
What's next? We gonna have people asking the government for bailouts because they were stupid enough to buy a $20,000 car for $199/mo with 20% interest?

How about....don't be a stupid ****ing moron, buy used, and pay cash like the rest of us who aren't filthy rich.

Oh what's that? You can afford to pay a few grand for a used car? Take the bus until you can afford to.

Society doesn't owe you a car or an education, and certainly doesn't need to pay your bill for it.
Nope, that's not next. Turns out trying to better yourself through higher education is not the same as buying an overpriced car you have no business owning. I have zero sympathy with car buyers and would never ever ever said those loans should be forgiven.

Do you know what's fucked up? Car loans can be discharged in bankruptcy, but not student loans.
[Reply]
Megatron96 11:44 AM 05-24-2019
Get a job.

Pay as much of your tuition/living expenses as possible out of your income.

Take out a student loan for as little as possible.

Pay off said loan on time. Early if possible.
[Reply]
Over Yonder 11:47 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by RodeoPants2:
Nope, that's not next. Turns out trying to better yourself through higher education is not the same as buying an overpriced car you have no business owning. I have zero sympathy with car buyers and would never ever ever said those loans should be forgiven.

Do you know what's ****ed up? Car loans can be discharged in bankruptcy, but not student loans.
I will agree, that's crap. Both are voluntary debt, neither should be allowed out of through bankruptcy. Another broken part of our system, IMO.
[Reply]
neech 11:51 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
I didn't, I was kind of busy... It was after..
Well. thanks for your service to our country regardless.
[Reply]
Over Yonder 11:56 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Get a job.

Pay as much of your tuition/living expenses as possible out of your income.

Take out a student loan for as little as possible.

Pay off said loan on time. Early if possible.
This is another thing. My son is in the process of paying his student loans off right now. They set his payment schedule up at some ridiculous payment. Can't remember now, but lets say $150/month for a bazillion years. Thankfully, my son has a conservative father that just about had a stroke when I seen that :-) Had the little talk with him about getting raped with interest. So he was/is smart enough to make much more than the minimum payment.

I can't help thinking about all the youth out there that are not fortunate enough to have a fiscally minded adult to explain stuff like that to them. Kinda sad :-)
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:57 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by Over Yonder:
Had the little talk with him about getting raped with interest. So he was/is smart enough to make much more than the minimum payment.

I can't help thinking about all the youth out there that are not fortunate enough to have a fiscally minded adult to explain stuff like that to them. Kinda sad :-)

[Reply]
NJChiefsFan27 12:05 PM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by Shields68:
But to use the personal responsibility for ones choices, those signing up for the military are told that if they are injured the country will take care of them. Their choice was to serve with that understanding. The government is backing out of the deal on not taking care of the vets.
How is that different than teenagers who were told that getting a degree would lead to getting a good job? We have also seen decades of our government not properly taking care of veterans, so couldn't you argue they should have known better? Again, if we're taking the personal responsibility approach.

Originally Posted by :
Those going to college are told if you borrow you have to pay it back. You need to make sure you put the money to good use to increase your income so you can afford to pay it back.
The issue is that tuition costs are skyrocketing, wages are stagnant, and getting a job in your field can be very difficult.

Even if we say that these people are "responsible", there's still the question of whether it's economically healthy for so much of the population to be trapped in debt. That is money which could have went to stimulating the economy rather than paying off a government loan.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 12:06 PM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by neech:
Well. thanks for your service to our country regardless.
:-)
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 12:06 PM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Yeah I was thinking more of line of service here in the US along with military etc. For example you want to protect the border so we have a national service program that sends you down to protect our borders and ports.
These are programs I am willing to pay for.

The GI Bill was a really good program. As are itís atecedents. I think Vets today get free tutiiin at in state Publics if they serve.
[Reply]
Over Yonder 12:07 PM 05-24-2019
I follow ya Hammock. you know the old saying anybody who is not a liberal at 20 has no heart, anybody who is not a conservative at 30 has no brain.

I feel for the kids, not so much the adults. At some point a person does need to figure life out.... or drink a couple gallons of anti freeze, whichever a person so chooses :-)
[Reply]
El Lobo Gordo 12:07 PM 05-24-2019
Don't know if I qualify as a "conservative". Make student loan debt bankrupt-able and no longer guaranteed by the US government.
[Reply]
vailpass 12:12 PM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by El Lobo Gordo:
Don't know if I qualify as a "conservative". Make student loan debt bankrupt-able and no longer guaranteed by the US government.
That would put a pretty quick halt to the legal usury that is the current hyperinflated state of college tuition pricing.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 19
« First < 56789 10111213 > Last »
Up