ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 19
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Washington DC and The Holy Land>What is the conservative position on student loans?
NJChiefsFan27 08:59 AM 05-24-2019
Specifically two things.

1. Is there a problem with the way things are done currently?

2. If you believe the status quo is not working, what should be done from a policy perspective to address it?
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan27 10:00 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
Because you have to sit down with a bank officer who will be the one who decides how much you can borrow. When those loans were first offered you had strict limits on what amount you could get, Banks took responsibility.

What should happen is the bank looks at what your needs are...what amount can you pay? What amount will you earn with jobs/summer employment. They look at tuition and fees and housing in a dorm with dorm meal plan....no extra above required
Didn't you want to guarantee the loans issued to students by private banks, too? The profit incentive would still be for them to extract as much money as possible with basically no downside to lending out more to students than they can afford.
[Reply]
Yosef_Malkovitch 10:01 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
Universities both public and private should compete in a free-market and govt needs to seriously decrease easy-to-get student loans especially for large sums, which has led to unprecedented demand allowing to raise prices greater than the level of inflation. It's a gravy train for the colleges and professors.

This would more likely lead to more having to work their way through college as was done before this fiscal gravy train started. Colleges would have to facilitate this with scheduling around work if they want to keep up enrollments.
I'm pretty much a liberal, but I agree with BEP here. One reason student loans are so bad is because the money is too easy to get, so schools raise tuition, which makes people borrow even more.

I think that lending standards should be radically tightened. There could be some consideration for different economic backgrounds, so this wouldn't have to exclude all the "disadvantaged" students.

I think there needs to be a much lower cap on the amount one can borrow, as well. And I think that schools should have some skin in the game, and should be held responsible for a percentage of the debt that their students cannot repay. This might help discourage them from offering expensive degrees in worthless fields.

As for the argument "you signed the paper, you are responsible for the money." Well, yes that's true, but OTOH how many 18 year old kids really understand what they are doing? I remember signing for the loans thinking, "this is no problem. I'll make tons of money because I will be a college graduate!"

I did end up doing pretty well financially, but many college grads do not. However, because they have been sold on the idea that a college degree is pretty much a golden ticket, kids keep taking out loans for degrees that, quite frankly, are worthless.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 10:03 AM 05-24-2019
What's next? We gonna have people asking the government for bailouts because they were stupid enough to buy a $20,000 car for $199/mo with 20% interest?

How about....don't be a stupid fucking moron, buy used, and pay cash like the rest of us who aren't filthy rich.

Oh what's that? You can afford to pay a few grand for a used car? Take the bus until you can afford to.

Society doesn't owe you a car or an education, and certainly doesn't need to pay your bill for it.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 10:04 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
What's next? We gonna have people asking the government for bailouts because they were stupid enough to buy a $20,000 car for $199/mo with 20% interest?

How about....don't be a stupid ****ing moron, buy used, and pay cash like the rest of us who aren't filthy rich.

Oh what's that? You can afford to pay a few grand for a used car? Take the bus until you can afford to.

Society doesn't owe you a car or an education, and certainly doesn't need to pay your bill for it.

We bailed out the Pentagon. Said 620B wasnít enough last year so we have them 720B.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 10:04 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by Yosef_Malkovitch:
As for the argument "you signed the paper, you are responsible for the money." Well, yes that's true, but OTOH how many 18 year old kids really understand what they are doing?
Stupid people make stupid decisions.

Film at 11.

Don't involve me in your dumbassery.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 10:05 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
We bailed out the Pentagon. Said 620B wasn’t enough last year so we have them 720B.
The Pentagon does things that baristas can't.

When you have a certain value to society....hear me out here...preserving that value with government funding is a good thing for everyone.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 10:05 AM 05-24-2019
And they can do it for 620B.
[Reply]
Eleazar 10:07 AM 05-24-2019
I don't have any problem with the government subsiding loans in situations like this, where it's an investment that will actually pay dividends to the economy (unlike most other subsidies, which are only designed to engineer social conditions that politicians find desirable). It allows people who wouldn't be able to get a traditional loan to go to school and that's a positive.

That being said, when you leave school you're on the hook. If you quit school halfway through or if you decided to major in theater and now you can't find a job, don't expect the government to swoop in like your helicopter parents did and bail you out.
[Reply]
dirk digler 10:08 AM 05-24-2019

How about....don't be a stupid fucking moron, buy used, and pay cash like the rest of us who aren't filthy rich.

As a country\society we need more people going into STEM jobs or becoming doctors but it also shouldn't cost 6 figures to go to school to get that degree.
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan27 10:08 AM 05-24-2019
It's called Social Darwinism.

Dumb people make dumb decisions that **** up their lives.

Not the taxpayer's responsibility to help them out.

Fix your own ****in' problems.

And contrary to your bullshit, what they did was very irresponsible.
Even if you believe that to be true, should the government be issuing massive loans that fuck people over for years down the line? Where is their responsibility of the people who are taking advantage of the "irresponsible" among us? Keeping in mind that the "irresponsible" people you cite end up earning more than the rest of the population despite their crippling debt.

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
Growing into an adult is bummer. Too bad you cant live off the teat forever.
I don't have any student loan debt so painting this as an argument made in self interest is incorrect.
[Reply]
Eleazar 10:09 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
As a country\society we need more people going into STEM jobs or becoming doctors but it also shouldn't cost 6 figures to go to school to get that degree.
You don't think the ROI of a degree in medicine is high enough when a person will make that amount of money back in one year of their 40-ish years of work?
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan27 10:10 AM 05-24-2019

How about....don't be a stupid ****ing moron, buy used, and pay cash like the rest of us who aren't filthy rich.

Comparing buying a new car to getting an education is absolutely insane.
[Reply]
Easy 6 10:12 AM 05-24-2019
I signed a contract for CDL school, and while I donít even drive a truck anymore that payment still gets sent out every month... still on the hook for around 6k, tough shit
[Reply]
Bwana 10:13 AM 05-24-2019
you signed the piece of paper, your problem

learn some personal ****ing responsibility
Bingo
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 10:13 AM 05-24-2019
Student debt: 1.6T
Cost of Sand Wars: 6T

If you supported those dumb wars you better dare not say “We don’t have the money”
[Reply]
Page 4 of 19
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Up