ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 19
< 123 456713 > Last »
Washington DC and The Holy Land>What is the conservative position on student loans?
NJChiefsFan27 08:59 AM 05-24-2019
Specifically two things.

1. Is there a problem with the way things are done currently?

2. If you believe the status quo is not working, what should be done from a policy perspective to address it?
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:35 AM 05-24-2019
Between scholarships and good parenting, none of this is a problem.

Now, are professors generally overpaid? Probably, but whatchagonnado?
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 09:35 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
Trump has been a massive net benefit to his lenders. So your point here is very stupid.
His stupid point is a person can't declare bankruptcy to get out of paying student loans.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 09:36 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
This is the result of the entitlement generation, though.

Mommy and daddy bailed me out...so the government should, too!
It's also partially the result of the government helping to subsidize the nation's colleges on the backs of the students, as what has basically been a "loans for all" program led pretty directly to the ridiculously high cost of higher education. And, in combination with that, it's also partially the result of ridiculous educational requirements for fields that obviously never actually needed them.

And that's been ramping up for decades.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 09:36 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
Between scholarships and good parenting, none of this is a problem.
None of that addresses the real problem or adequately. Parents are victims of the system too. They, like all participants in any market, fall prey to false signals in the market due to govt interference in those markets.

Didn't you say you were a conservative? If so, where's your economics input?
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 09:38 AM 05-24-2019
GOP to young people: “Screw you. Welcome to being an adult”


Young people to GOP: “We prefer socialism. Welcome to extinction”
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 09:39 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by Taco John:
The solution is very simple: make schools co-signers in any student loans and responsible for defaults. The problem with secondary education today is that schools have been let off the accountability hook.
Great point.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 09:39 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
GOP to young people: “Screw you. Welcome to being an adult”


Young people to GOP: “We prefer socialism. Welcome to extinction”
:-) :-)

That one is worth saving.
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 09:41 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan27:
In what way would banks financing these loans change the underlying problem of students taking on enormous debt to pay for an education that may or may not even lead to a successful career in their field of choice?

Because you have to sit down with a bank officer who will be the one who decides how much you can borrow. When those loans were first offered you had strict limits on what amount you could get, Banks took responsibility.

What should happen is the bank looks at what your needs are...what amount can you pay? What amount will you earn with jobs/summer employment. They look at tuition and fees and housing in a dorm with dorm meal plan....no extra above required

Students who Borrow insane amounts still need to pay every dime back if it takes 30 years...they borrowed it, pay it back. The system went od=ff the rails when we let the debt get too high....thanks obama
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 09:44 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:


Students who Borrow insane amounts still need to pay every dime back if it takes 30 years...they borrowed it, pay it back. The system went od=ff the rails when we let the debt get too high....thanks obama

That this is ALL on Obama is sheer nonsense. This excessive and easy loan-pushing started 20 years prior to Obama.

Can you ever not look at things using partisan hackery.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:47 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
None of that addresses the real problem or adequately. Parents are victims of the system too. They, like all participants in any market, fall prey to false signals in the market due to govt interference in those markets.

Didn't you say you were a conservative? If so, where's your economics input?


Just like sending your kids to private K-12 schools, it's value based decision.
[Reply]
neech 09:48 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
GOP to young people: “Screw you. Welcome to being an adult”


Young people to GOP: “We prefer socialism. Welcome to extinction”
Nice one PB.
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan27 09:52 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
This is the result of the entitlement generation, though.

Mommy and daddy bailed me out...so the government should, too!
This seems like a bad argument. These are teenagers being forced to make life changing decisions with all kinds of pressure from society and within their own circle of friends and family. These are people who are actively trying to get ahead in life who are arguably being preyed upon large institutions for profit. You're using the "take some personal responsibility" argument as if they are being punished for committing a crime or doing something that is irresponsible. It's very strange.
[Reply]
stevieray 09:52 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
GOP to young people: “Screw you. Welcome to being an adult”


Young people to GOP: “We prefer socialism. Welcome to extinction”
.....and you really think it will go down without a fight?


Half of this country isn't just going to roll over.

thirty years from now? maybe, because by then the majority will have been indoctrinated.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:53 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan27:
This seems like a bad argument. These are teenagers being forced to make life changing decisions with all kinds of pressure from society and within their own circle of friends and family. These are people who are actively trying to get ahead in life who are arguably being preyed upon large institutions for profit. You're using the "take some personal responsibility" argument as if they are being punished for committing a crime or doing something that is irresponsible. It's very strange.
It's called Social Darwinism.

Dumb people make dumb decisions that fuck up their lives.

Not the taxpayer's responsibility to help them out.

Fix your own fuckin' problems.

And contrary to your bullshit, what they did was very irresponsible.
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 09:58 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan27:
This seems like a bad argument. These are teenagers being forced to make life changing decisions with all kinds of pressure from society and within their own circle of friends and family. These are people who are actively trying to get ahead in life who are arguably being preyed upon large institutions for profit. You're using the "take some personal responsibility" argument as if they are being punished for committing a crime or doing something that is irresponsible. It's very strange.
Growing into an adult is bummer. Too bad you cant live off the teat forever.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 19
< 123 456713 > Last »
Up