ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 19
< 12 345612 > Last »
Washington DC and The Holy Land>What is the conservative position on student loans?
NJChiefsFan27 08:59 AM 05-24-2019
Specifically two things.

1. Is there a problem with the way things are done currently?

2. If you believe the status quo is not working, what should be done from a policy perspective to address it?
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:25 AM 05-24-2019
This is the result of the entitlement generation, though.

Mommy and daddy bailed me out...so the government should, too!
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 09:26 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by Taco John:
you had better get familiar with the conservative position on a lot of things, because the Democrat party is about to be sunk to the bottom of the ocean.
I would love to see the debate environment switch to a more libertarian arguments versus today's lukewarm conservatism (NC). It would result in a better dialectic outcome, moving things toward less govt which would also mean less war overseas.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 09:26 AM 05-24-2019
Maybe if education wasn't unreasonably expensive, we wouldn't need these massive student loans.

And we need more options beyond expensive liberal arts education. Free education is a pipe dream. But improving affordability to things like trade and vocational... Great idea. At least in that instance you're providing societal benefit by training people into the jobs that our economy needs.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:27 AM 05-24-2019
Let's get rid of the FBI first, then let's talk DoE. But both do suck...
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 09:27 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:

We bail Israel out: 38B. We are bailing Puerto Rico our: 42B. We bailed out the Pentagon, who cried until they got a $100B pay hike.

Please spare me the whole “entitled brats!” nonsense.
[Reply]
Bowser 09:29 AM 05-24-2019

Common Core

No Child Left Behind

"I Tried!" trophies

We've set an entire generation up to live off the government tit, and why? No need to hijack NJCF27's thread going in this direction, but it definitely needed to be said.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 09:29 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Maybe if education wasn't unreasonably expensive, we wouldn't need these massive student loans.
It's the reverse. The increased loans has led to education inflation which results in malinvestments such as gender study degrees etc.
I recall an article from FEE circa 1988 that predicted this when these loans increased. These get pushed on students aggressively from college administrations.

See here:
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showp...5&postcount=12
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan27 09:29 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
Never should have been taken over by the Govt. Banks should be in control with a government Guarantee of repayment. Make the student justify what amount they want, no flat approvals.

That said, you borrowed it, you pay it back. No easy out

The limits need to be developed that reflect what is rational. No student should borrow 100% of their cost of living for their college years
In what way would banks financing these loans change the underlying problem of students taking on enormous debt to pay for an education that may or may not even lead to a successful career in their field of choice?
[Reply]
cosmo20002 09:30 AM 05-24-2019
you signed the piece of paper, your problem

learn some personal ****ing responsibility
Declare bankruptcy because you fucked up, let others eat it.

/Trump
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 09:31 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
We bail Israel out: 38B. We are bailing Puerto Rico our: 42B. We bailed out the Pentagon, who cried until they got a $100B pay hike.

Please spare me the whole “entitled brats!” nonsense.
The entitlement mentality has permeated the society but the fish rots from the head—the US Federal govt run by bureaucrats and paid off politicians.
The ones you named all suffer from the same disease—but also MIC and corporations with their bail-outs and crony markets. Edcuation is another crony market.

Then the money supply gets inflated to pay for all the govt debt with cheaper dollars, impoverishing the people who can afford less and less. It's a vicious but connected circle.
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan27 09:31 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
Declare bankruptcy because you ****ed up, let others eat it.

/Trump
I know the impulse, but let's keep this on substance and away from turning this discussion reactionary.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 09:32 AM 05-24-2019
Precisely why I made pt 2: mandatory cuts to Universities. They need to feel some pain too. No more gravy train for those assholes.

Originally Posted by :
And we need more options beyond expensive liberal arts education. Free education is a pipe dream. But improving affordability to things like trade and vocational... Great idea. At least in that instance you're providing societal benefit by training people into the jobs that our economy needs.
It’s tempting to knee-jerk agree with that, but only 1/4 of folks go to college and only 50% prob are in a STEM or career path degree. The other 50% surely get critical thinking skills and maturity they use in their eventual careers.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 09:33 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
Declare bankruptcy because you ****ed up, let others eat it.

/Trump
Trump has been a massive net benefit to his lenders. So your point here is very stupid.
[Reply]
Taco John 09:34 AM 05-24-2019
The solution is very simple: make schools co-signers in any student loans and responsible for defaults. The problem with secondary education today is that schools have been let off the accountability hook.
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan27 09:35 AM 05-24-2019

Free education is a misnomer. Nothing is free. It would come out of your taxes. But at the point where you're applying for higher education, it wouldn't cost you anything extra. But it's still not free.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 19
< 12 345612 > Last »
Up