ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 19
1 234511 > Last »
Washington DC and The Holy Land>What is the conservative position on student loans?
NJChiefsFan27 08:59 AM 05-24-2019
Specifically two things.

1. Is there a problem with the way things are done currently?

2. If you believe the status quo is not working, what should be done from a policy perspective to address it?
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:12 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan27:
Specifically two things.

1. Is there a problem with the way things are done currently?

2. If you believe the status quo is not working, what should be done from a policy perspective to address it?
I paid for my older kids education (except for one loan designed to help him establish credit) and I think that's just as good of a model as any other. He still had to work internships each summer for spending cash (pretty normal for engineering students regardless), but that gave him time to focus on classes and he and his SO being a robotics mentors - letting the passion grow and flourish.

I think the way it is now is fine, it makes sure college isn't just 13th, 14th, 15th, and 16th grade (and sometime 17th grade when they change their major or are in tough engineering programs like Rolla); thus further forcing a masters the first real "sets them apart" level of education. It also makes sure the people in college really want to be there...
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 09:14 AM 05-24-2019
Never should have been taken over by the Govt. Banks should be in control with a government Guarantee of repayment. Make the student justify what amount they want, no flat approvals.

That said, you borrowed it, you pay it back. No easy out

The limits need to be developed that reflect what is rational. No student should borrow 100% of their cost of living for their college years
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:14 AM 05-24-2019
you signed the piece of paper, your problem

learn some personal fucking responsibility
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 09:16 AM 05-24-2019
My position is two fold:


1. The taxpayer should bail out some agreed upon portion of the balance.
2. Universities should in turn take a major funding haircut to help offset the taxpaey sacrifice
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 09:17 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
My position is two fold:


1. The taxpayer should bail out some agreed upon portion of the balance.
2. Universities should in turn take a major funding haircut to help offset the taxpaey sacrifice


Liberal position
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 09:18 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
I think the way it is now is fine...
LOL
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 09:18 AM 05-24-2019
Show me any Liberal making argument 2. I’m calling bulkshit on you.
[Reply]
Bowser 09:18 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
you signed the piece of paper, your problem

learn some personal fucking responsibility
Ultimately, this. Welcome to being an adult.

We can debate the price of college (and the choice of students to piss away their loan money on social construct degrees), but Clay sums it up nicely.
[Reply]
Bugeater 09:20 AM 05-24-2019
Stop giving out loans for fucking strip mall "colleges"
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:20 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
LOL
It wasn't meant to be funny.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 09:20 AM 05-24-2019
Universities both public and private should compete in a free-market and govt needs to seriously decrease easy-to-get student loans especially for large sums, which has led to unprecedented demand allowing to raise prices greater than the level of inflation. It's a gravy train for the colleges and professors.

This would more likely lead to more having to work their way through college as was done before this fiscal gravy train started. Colleges would have to facilitate this with scheduling around work if they want to keep up enrollments.

Get rid of the Dept of Education.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 09:23 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
you signed the piece of paper, your problem

learn some personal fucking responsibility
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Ultimately, this. Welcome to being an adult.

We can debate the price of college (and the choice of students to piss away their loan money on social construct degrees), but Clay sums it up nicely.
Agreed.
[Reply]
Taco John 09:23 AM 05-24-2019
you had better get familiar with the conservative position on a lot of things, because the Democrat party is about to be sunk to the bottom of the ocean.
[Reply]
Bowser 09:25 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
Universities both public and private should compete in a free-market and govt needs to seriously decrease easy to get student loans which has led to unprecedented demand allowing to raise prices greater than the level of inflation. It's a gravy train for the colleges.

Get rid of the Dept of Education.
Yes. Absolutely this.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 19
1 234511 > Last »
Up