ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Dick Dale, Surf Guitar Legend, Dead at 81
chinaski 11:04 AM 03-18-2019
Originally Posted by :
Dick Dale, “the King of the Surf Guitar,” has died at the age of 81.
California Rocker first reported that Dale died Sunday. His bassist Sam Bolle confirmed Dale’s death to the Guardian. No cause of death was revealed, but the guitarist suffered from health issues in recent years. In 2010, Dale said he was battling rectal cancer, and in an interview that went viral, Dale said in 2015 that “I can’t stop touring because I will die” due to medical expenses stemming from cancer treatment, diabetes and renal failure. “I have to raise $3,000 every month to pay for the medical supplies I need to stay alive, and that’s on top of the insurance that I pay for,” Dale said at the time.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ituary-809294/
[Reply]
TEX 11:09 AM 03-18-2019
BUMMER! RIP HODAD!
[Reply]
Graystoke 11:11 AM 03-18-2019
DAM!
Now who will the Ventures steal shit from?
[Reply]
Fish 11:37 AM 03-18-2019
Never heard of him...
[Reply]
Halfcan 11:40 AM 03-18-2019
What a loss. RIP.

Unfortunately, I never got to see him play live, but I still listen to his music often.
[Reply]
srvy 12:02 PM 03-18-2019
Dang but he was 81 with diabetes and battled cancer. One of my favorites who influenced so many including Hendrix. Many only know him thru the musical score to Pulp Fiction.

RIP Mr Dale
[Reply]
Megbert 12:02 PM 03-18-2019
I took my dad to see him at the Grand Emporium in 96. Which kicked off my dad going out to see live music again. One of the best surprises I was able to give my pops.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
srvy 12:07 PM 03-18-2019
Dick and Stevie Ray doing pipeline.
[Reply]
Shoes 01:29 PM 03-18-2019
Dick Dale what an electric name.
[Reply]
srvy 01:53 PM 03-18-2019
Interesting tidbit.

"Dick Dale... invented surf music in the 1950's. Not the '60's as is commonly believed. He was given the title "King of the Surf Guitar" by his fellow surfers with whom he surfed with from sun-up to sun-down. He met Leo Fender the guitar and amplifier Guru and Leo asked Dale to play his newly creation, the Fender Stratocaster Electric Guitar. The minute Dale picked up the guitar, Leo Fender broke into uncontrolled laughter and disbelief, he was watching Dale play a right handed guitar upside down and backwards, Dale was playing a right handed guitar left handed and changing the chords in his head then transposing the chords to his hands to create a sound never heard before."
[Reply]
Graystoke 01:54 PM 03-18-2019
Originally Posted by Fish:
Never heard of him...
Notsureifserious
[Reply]
kysirsoze 02:02 PM 03-18-2019
Originally Posted by Fish:
Never heard of him...
Fish = Prison Bitch ???
[Reply]
srvy 02:07 PM 03-18-2019
Misirlou live the song younger folks may recognise from Pulp Fiction.

[Reply]
Eleazar 02:07 PM 03-18-2019
Originally Posted by srvy:
Interesting tidbit.

"Dick Dale... invented surf music in the 1950's. Not the '60's as is commonly believed. He was given the title "King of the Surf Guitar" by his fellow surfers with whom he surfed with from sun-up to sun-down. He met Leo Fender the guitar and amplifier Guru and Leo asked Dale to play his newly creation, the Fender Stratocaster Electric Guitar. The minute Dale picked up the guitar, Leo Fender broke into uncontrolled laughter and disbelief, he was watching Dale play a right handed guitar upside down and backwards, Dale was playing a right handed guitar left handed and changing the chords in his head then transposing the chords to his hands to create a sound never heard before."
That's what a lefty had to do back then. Left handed guitars were hard to find, if you could find them at all. He probably learned and played that way his whole life. Pretty cool though.
[Reply]
Fish 02:34 PM 03-18-2019
Originally Posted by Graystoke:
Notsureifserious
Serious. Not into "Surf music" whatever that is.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up