ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 44 of 57
« First < 344041424344 4546474854 > Last »
Media Center>Captain Marvel
Fish 08:23 AM 09-18-2018

[Reply]
Easy 6 12:01 PM 03-16-2019
There are two things I've had just about enough of lately...

1) Comic book heroes

2) Kickass chicks
[Reply]
Chiefspants 12:45 PM 03-16-2019
Originally Posted by CoMoChief:
Your ability to watch/critique movies needs major improvement then.

I'll give you Thor. MCU could have done a better job w/ his origin movie...luckily Ragnarok made everyone forget about the first 2 movies. (Hopefully MCU can do the same w/ Captain Marvel)

But there's just no way in ****in hell Captain Marvel is a better origin movie than the others mentioned in your post.
Disagree.
[Reply]
Bowser 01:05 PM 03-16-2019
I just watched the first Thor again a few days ago. I enjoyed it more than I remember I did the first time I watched it. IMO, it's a fine origin story. You can really see how far Chris Hemsworth has come in terms of his own range and how he's developed Thor over the years, and Anthony Hopkins just kills the Odin role. Kenneth Branagh did a great job directing it and setting up the realm of Asgard going forward.

Still haven't seen CM yet (waiting to see it with the kid while she's on spring break), but from everything I've read non-spoliery from you guys on here so far, it's a pretty good to good movie that's worth seeing in the theater. Looking forward to it for no other reason as it will be an appetizer to Endgame next month.
[Reply]
Bowser 01:07 PM 03-16-2019
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
There are two things I've had just about enough of lately...

1) Comic book heroes

2) Kickass chicks
Perspective, Scotty. Don't get caught up in the wash of all the political bullshit surrounding this film (and pretty much everything else these days, really). Take it and the other films coming out for what they are and proceed accordingly!
[Reply]
Easy 6 03:57 PM 03-16-2019
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Perspective, Scotty. Don't get caught up in the wash of all the political bullshit surrounding this film (and pretty much everything else these days, really). Take it and the other films coming out for what they are and proceed accordingly!
I'm honestly just pretty tired of comic movies at this point, though I did enjoy Glass just because of how M Night approaches things quite differently

As for the gals, my views were formed long before the #metoo stuff, going back to movies like Salt where this skinny woman is just beating the dogshit out of big male mercs etc... I am simply unable to suspend my disbelief

Was watching Joe Rogans show the other day and he was saying the same thing
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 04:22 PM 03-16-2019

I'll give you Thor. MCU could have done a better job w/ his origin movie...luckily Ragnarok made everyone forget about the first 2 movies. (Hopefully MCU can do the same w/ Captain Marvel)

But there's just no way in fuckin hell Captain Marvel is a better origin movie than the others mentioned in your post.
Captain Marvel is probably better or equal to Thor imo... entertainment wise those others were better but I love those characters
[Reply]
2112 08:00 PM 03-16-2019
Originally Posted by Mr. Plow:
Me & my boys talked about that on the way home - what's her "weakness" or is she like a super Superman?
One of her main powers is absorbing energy. In that final battle with the surpeme intelligence she was absorbing power from the ship and everything in it. Her power comes from the tesseract and that thing started really glowing through the lunch box so she was absorbing energy from that.

Here’s her weakness. She can’t maintain her supernova binary form for long periods of time without recharging herself. I can envision Thor recharging her with stormbreaker in a fight.

Kevin Fiege said in an interview that we’ll see her weaknesses in endgame.
[Reply]
underEJ 05:14 PM 03-17-2019
As for the gals, my views were formed long before the #metoo stuff, going back to movies like Salt where this skinny woman is just beating the dogshit out of big male mercs etc... I am simply unable to suspend my disbelief
I tend to have this issue too and my ovaries don’t make me any likelier to suspend than men. Have you seen Charleze Theron’s Atomic Blonde? I thought they did that fighting really well and she had to compensate for her physical inequity and each blow she takes punishes her believably. The movie itself is okay, but the ending was disappointing to me, however it is a great example of a role where she isn’t just filling a role that would typically be written for a male star. It is very successful at making her believable as a woman in that circumstance.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:08 PM 03-17-2019
Saw it today. Thought it wasn’t going to be that great and ended up thinking it was between good and pretty good. Not the best Marvel movie but not the worst. I’m just interested to see how she’s going to be in Endgame.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:38 AM 03-18-2019
Originally Posted by Bowser:
I'm honestly just pretty tired of comic movies at this point, though I did enjoy Glass just because of how M Night approaches things quite differently

Was watching Joe Rogans show the other day and he was saying the same thing
I volunteered to have the first girl on my little league baseball team that the league allowed to play with the boys. She was a good pitcher and tough as nails. She had a passion and intestinal fortitude that I wished my other players had. So at least for that part of the movie, I saw an example in real life. The other parts telling her she cant do this or that were totally believable back in that era.

As far as suspending belief.........its a fucking superhero movie. Suspending belief, laws of physics etc. is essential to just being entertained for a couple of hours.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:42 AM 03-18-2019
Originally Posted by D2112:
One of her main powers is absorbing energy. In that final battle with the surpeme intelligence she was absorbing power from the ship and everything in it. Her power comes from the tesseract and that thing started really glowing through the lunch box so she was absorbing energy from that.

Here’s her weakness. She can’t maintain her supernova binary form for long periods of time without recharging herself. I can envision Thor recharging her with stormbreaker in a fight.

Kevin Fiege said in an interview that we’ll see her weaknesses in endgame.
Yeah, something will happen to go back in time and bring back all the superheroes so they can keep making movies.

Captain Marvel will be using the tesseract power in some plot process to defeat Thanos. Some may die that have contracts expiring but most are going to survive.
[Reply]
penguinz 08:55 AM 03-18-2019

But there's just no way in fuckin hell Captain Marvel is a better origin movie than the others mentioned in your post.
Hulk origin story was one of the worst MCU movies.
[Reply]
FAX 09:51 AM 03-18-2019
Originally Posted by penguinz:
I agree. Both of them were. The last one with Norton had potential, but the story structure was fragmented and the action sequences played on the screen like a video game. For the most part, critics liked it ... who knows why?

The "superhero fights villain with exact same powers" apex that Marvel has relied upon so often was sad, IMO. Lots of smashing. Acting out. Smashing in. If that's what you like, ok. And damn ... Tim Blake Nelson was miscast (or decided to overact in true Nicolas Cage style ... just 'cause he could). Tyler was ok, I suppose. But Tim Roth was wasted in that role (either give him something solid to work with or find somebody else).

Personally, I think it's a good thing that movies are subjectively experienced. That's why I'm cool with saying that movie was a disappointment for me. Mainly because it had all the potential in the world to be much, much better. That was a movie that reeked of predetermined studio formula.

FAX
[Reply]
Chiefspants 01:49 PM 03-18-2019
Originally Posted by penguinz:
Yeah. I was surprised that was one of the movies that was defended, to be honest. Had that movie come out before Iron Man, Marvel could have been in a lot of trouble.
[Reply]
underEJ 06:04 PM 03-18-2019
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
I volunteered to have the first girl on my little league baseball team that the league allowed to play with the boys. She was a good pitcher and tough as nails. She had a passion and intestinal fortitude that I wished my other players had. So at least for that part of the movie, I saw an example in real life. The other parts telling her she cant do this or that were totally believable back in that era.
Just a fun film industry factoid. The girl who was the first to play little league baseball legally in the US, after being denied for years, is a VFX Producer and very well known to everyone in the industry. Her story may be an inspiration to this part of the film. I don't know for sure that it came up, but she absolutely knows the Marvel people and her story is extremely well known.
[Reply]
Page 44 of 57
« First < 344041424344 4546474854 > Last »
Up