ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Nzoner's Game Room>Dick Dale, Surf Guitar Legend, Dead at 81
chinaski 11:04 AM 03-18-2019
Originally Posted by :
Dick Dale, “the King of the Surf Guitar,” has died at the age of 81.
California Rocker first reported that Dale died Sunday. His bassist Sam Bolle confirmed Dale’s death to the Guardian. No cause of death was revealed, but the guitarist suffered from health issues in recent years. In 2010, Dale said he was battling rectal cancer, and in an interview that went viral, Dale said in 2015 that “I can’t stop touring because I will die” due to medical expenses stemming from cancer treatment, diabetes and renal failure. “I have to raise $3,000 every month to pay for the medical supplies I need to stay alive, and that’s on top of the insurance that I pay for,” Dale said at the time.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ituary-809294/
[Reply]
srvy 03:39 PM 03-18-2019
Originally Posted by Fish:
Serious. Not into "Surf music" whatever that is.
Never heard of the Beach Boys either?

I can see not knowing who Dick Dale was but surfer beach music was pretty well known because that man and the Beach Boys.
[Reply]
Halfcan 04:13 PM 03-18-2019
Originally Posted by Fish:
Serious. Not into "Surf music" whatever that is.
:-)
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 06:08 PM 03-18-2019
Originally Posted by srvy:
Dick and Stevie Ray doing pipeline.
Back to the Beach!

Another Lori Laughlin classic!
[Reply]
DrunkBassGuitar 06:52 PM 03-18-2019
A lot of really great guitarists have stolen a lot from Dick Dale.

RIP
[Reply]
PunkinDrublic 07:00 PM 03-18-2019
Underrated as hell. He was awesome. RIP.
[Reply]
stevieray 07:12 PM 03-18-2019
Originally Posted by srvy:
Interesting tidbit.

"Dick Dale... invented surf music in the 1950's. Not the '60's as is commonly believed. He was given the title "King of the Surf Guitar" by his fellow surfers with whom he surfed with from sun-up to sun-down. He met Leo Fender the guitar and amplifier Guru and Leo asked Dale to play his newly creation, the Fender Stratocaster Electric Guitar. The minute Dale picked up the guitar, Leo Fender broke into uncontrolled laughter and disbelief, he was watching Dale play a right handed guitar upside down and backwards, Dale was playing a right handed guitar left handed and changing the chords in his head then transposing the chords to his hands to create a sound never heard before."
Albert King, too.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up