ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1027 of 3903
« First < 27527927977101710231024102510261027 102810291030103110371077112715272027 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
stumppy 11:07 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
Right now, my body is the Western Front in WWI?

Because I've had the same symptoms for almost two weeks with no change for the better or worse.
Maybe more like France during WW2.:-)
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:08 AM 04-02-2020

Because I've had the same symptoms for almost two weeks with no change for the better or worse.
Sure sounds that way.

But it could be worse. Your body could have been Poland or France in WWII.

And you get a bottle of Pappy so it ain't all bad.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:12 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
It's hard to really know, people around me are saying they know people with symptoms yet no one can get tested unless they're dying so they don't count in numbers.
I just don't get it.

Family right up the street from me had someone admitted yesterday morning. Was given some initial screens, a few fast tests for easy answers came back negative, was given a COVID test around 3p yesterday afternoon (dunno how it went; not gonna pry because I'm sure everyone's afraid of wearing a scarlet letter right now).

And he's not on oxygen or anything - just chilling in the isolation ward until results come back.

I still think too many people are showing 'symptoms' and are sure they have the thing when they don't. Again, the positive rates on folks in Boone are damn low (not sure what they are now, but well below 10%). So either these tests suck something awful or a lot of people just haven't had a respiratory disease before and don't realize that they ALL suck.

This one simply appears to suck a fair amount worse.

Go make friends with a pulmonology nurse. Those folks are hard as coffin nails, man. They ALL have stories that will make your skin crawl and have had them for years.
[Reply]
Donger 11:14 AM 04-02-2020
(CNN)A prestigious scientific panel told the White House Wednesday night that research shows coronavirus can be spread not just by sneezes or coughs, but also just by talking, or possibly even just breathing.

"While the current [coronavirus] specific research is limited, the results of available studies are consistent with aerosolization of virus from normal breathing," according to the letter, written by Dr. Harvey Fineberg, chairman of a committee with the National Academy of Sciences.

Fineberg told CNN that he will wear start wearing a mask when he goes to the grocery stor
[Reply]
Titty Meat 11:15 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
I see this ended well..

Didnt DJ argue against states using stay in place yesterday?
[Reply]
SupDock 11:17 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by stumppy:
I think the states that refuse to take action should be notified they'll be at the very end of the list of where medical supplies go to.
That is unless they take action now.
Punish the patients and healthcare providers?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:17 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
(CNN)A prestigious scientific panel told the White House Wednesday night that research shows coronavirus can be spread not just by sneezes or coughs, but also just by talking, or possibly even just breathing.

"While the current [coronavirus] specific research is limited, the results of available studies are consistent with aerosolization of virus from normal breathing," according to the letter, written by Dr. Harvey Fineberg, chairman of a committee with the National Academy of Sciences.

Fineberg told CNN that he will wear start wearing a mask when he goes to the grocery stor
This has been fairly well known for a couple weeks.

Again, it comes down to the amount of viral load you take on in one setting vs. the other. It also varies on distance/duration of 'hang'.

And it's why being close to people in indoor spaces with low ventilation where the breath doesn't dissipate well and thus the virus remains in higher concentrations for longer is a really bad idea.

Y'know, mass transit.
[Reply]
Bearcat 11:17 AM 04-02-2020

Good luck... I'll buy you a beer at Wandering Tortoise one day when we can all congregate in public again.

A coworker had a very similar experience, but 'only' for a little over a week... 102 temp at its worst with fluctuations, no energy, soreness, a cough that lingered after the initial fever dropped.
[Reply]
O.city 11:18 AM 04-02-2020

Growth in total confirmed #COVID19 cases as a percent of total population by country: U.S. versus Spain and Italy. (Indexed to days since the first 100 cases were confirmed in each country). U.S. is still early, but on slower relative trajectory when compared to Italy and Spain. pic.twitter.com/KBCxGN2apq

— Scott Gottlieb, MD (@ScottGottliebMD) April 2, 2020

[Reply]
Titty Meat 11:18 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
No football this fall
[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:18 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
If your body has no immune system, yes.

But if your body does, their ability to multiply depends on how many 'living soldiers' they have left, so to speak.

So to put it in military terms, if the virus shows up at the gates with an overwhelming show of force and immediately flattens your front lines, the front lines have done little to slow them, they march through the middle, pick up supplies and strengthen and then beat the holy shit out of your reserve troops before ransacking the city.

If, however, the virus shows up with a much smaller force, your front lines battle it hard. In this scenario they eventually lose and you still have the virus penetrating the front and coming through your middle, but in the process your reserves have rallied, they show up and they squash the remaining troops before they can get to the city.

What your body is able to do EARLY in the infection seems to have a role in how your body handles it. When getting smoked with initial high viral loads, the body is either breaking down completely or trying to spin into overdrive and creating those cyotkine storms that are fucking up peoples lungs. But if you're hit with a relatively small/moderate dose, your body's early response gives it a strong fighting chance. The body doesn't respond with a cytokine storm (I dunno...the equivalent of throwing a tactical nuke in the middle of the field) but rather uses its reserves to put down what's left of the virus.

Clear as mud?
If you can somehow work in an Operation Mincemeat analogy in your analysis at any time in this process (for this, a vaccine, or our response in some way), expect some quality rep from yours truly.
[Reply]
O.city 11:20 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
This has been fairly well known for a couple weeks.

Again, it comes down to the amount of viral load you take on in one setting vs. the other. It also varies on distance/duration of 'hang'.

And it's why being close to people in indoor spaces with low ventilation where the breath doesn't dissipate well and thus the virus remains in higher concentrations for longer is a really bad idea.

Y'know, mass transit.
Or you know, working in peoples mouths.

Fuck
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:20 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Didnt DJ argue against states using stay in place yesterday?
I argued that there's little utility in Missouri using it, yes.

Because what else will it accomplish that county-specific orders haven't already done. Local leaders addressed things as needed. I noted in regards to Florida that I don't pay attention to their local leadership and as such don't know if such an order would've been necessary or useful there if done earlier.

I haven't spoken to Mississippi at all because I have no goddamn idea what's happening in Mississippi.

I have, however, cautioned several times against trying to use a single analysis over a myriad of wildly different settings. Guess you must've missed that part.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 11:20 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by SupDock:
They elected the dumbass? :-) would not be fair but I could see that being the thought.
[Reply]
stumppy 11:21 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by SupDock:
I never said to actually do it.
[Reply]
Page 1027 of 3903
« First < 27527927977101710231024102510261027 102810291030103110371077112715272027 > Last »
Up