ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Late night bullshit: We may have a Damien Wilson problem.
Direckshun 11:48 PM 10-26-2020
It's no mystery the Chiefs linebacking corps leaves a lot to be desired. We got some nice play out of Gay at Will this past game, and Hitchens has been passable more often than he's not.

But I'm rewatching the Broncos game, and the Broncos essentially run the same play like 8 times in the 2nd quarter, and it's a big gainer every time. Like, every time.

They pull a guard or tackle from the left side and run them to the right. The RB takes the handoff and fakes the run to the inside before cutting it wide to the right and following at least one, if not two blockers over the right side. Wilson played that side all quarter, and never made a single play once. He was washed out by a blocker every single time in that quarter.

He wasn't helped by the DE play. My guy, Demone Harris, was abominable. He was consistently blocked out of plays by tight ends. Kpass wasn't much better, giving up push almost every time. One time, they ran the play when Clark manned that side, and even Clark bit too far inside and was unable to get outside, leaving Wilson alone to be erased by the blocker.

This defense has several issues: lack of an edgerush, corners that may have regressed from the postseason highs of last year, and a scheme that allows the MLB to be a sideline-to-sideline roamer... which we're wasting on Hitchens.

But Wilson may not be passable at this point, which we may see whenever we play a capable offense again willing to run right at him for entire quarters. He's a good player if there's no blockers to slip, but he simply can't get off blocks.

Thoughts.
[Reply]
tyreekthefreak 05:46 AM 10-27-2020
Wilson hustles and plays with an attitude that is needed on this team. Is he perfect, no, but hardly a liability!
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 06:21 AM 10-27-2020
Direckshun complaining about a top 10 defense.

Really hard not to like Matt Cassel.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 06:32 AM 10-27-2020
Well, Dirty Dan can't do EVERYTHING!
[Reply]
smithandrew051 06:43 AM 10-27-2020
Originally Posted by Dante84:
Yep, LB overhaul this coming offseason, along with the IOL and TE2 spots.
This.

People worry too much. Go back in time 2 years and look at our defense.

An absolutely atrocious secondary. Fixed.

Awful coaching. Fixed.

When we have a need, Veach goes to work. We’ll be fine.
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 07:41 AM 10-27-2020
If the opponent is running the ball, that usually plays right into the Chiefs hands. 60 minutes is not enough time to beat the Chiefs by running the football. Almost all of the losses the Chiefs have had since the start of the 2019-20 season can be chalked up to injuries, or the offense having an off day. Teams must air it out to have a chance. The team being 6-1 with one of the worst run defenses in the league says it all.
[Reply]
Delano 07:48 AM 10-27-2020
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush:
If the opponent is running the ball, that usually plays right into the Chiefs hands. 60 minutes is not enough time to beat the Chiefs by running the football. Almost all of the losses the Chiefs have had since the start of the 2019-20 season can be chalked up to injuries, or the offense having an off day. Teams must air it out to have a chance. The team being 6-1 with one of the worst run defenses in the league says it all.
To an extent I agree, but a weak run defense puts a lot of pressure on the rest of the team. The other phases must be near perfect against a great opponent. A few turnovers or untimely penalties against a team like the Ravens or Steelers and we’ve got some issues. They go up a few scores and they can maul that right side all day.
[Reply]
Red Beans 08:01 AM 10-27-2020
Originally Posted by St. Patty's Fire:
Line backing corps? More like linebacking CORPSE
I see what you did there. Nice seasonal and subject related timing.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 08:02 AM 10-27-2020
Some people are saying Direction is a bigger dumbass than Deberg
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:08 AM 10-27-2020
Originally Posted by Delano:
To an extent I agree, but a weak run defense puts a lot of pressure on the rest of the team. The other phases must be near perfect against a great opponent. A few turnovers or untimely penalties against a team like the Ravens or Steelers and we’ve got some issues. They go up a few scores and they can maul that right side all day.
:-)

Tell it to the 49ers. They ran all over us. The only issue in that game was our offense being shit for 3 quarters.
[Reply]
JakeF 08:31 AM 10-27-2020
Our front 7 is weak.

Okafor is out, Kpass is getting worn out. He isn't good enough for full time anyway.

Frank Clark disappears for games at a time.

That's why i wanted us to trade for Ngakoue. Even if we just rented him for the 5th round pick it would be worth it for another Super Bowl.
[Reply]
Cosmos 08:38 AM 10-27-2020
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
This.

People worry too much. Go back in time 2 years and look at our defense.

An absolutely atrocious secondary. Fixed.

Awful coaching. Fixed.

When we have a need, Veach goes to work. We’ll be fine.
Collectively, this i is the best staff on both sides of the ball that we’ve ever had.

You can see schemes change from game to games, almost always successful concepts, executed by less that great personnel...particularly defensively.

And of course Andy and Patrick.
[Reply]
BWillie 08:48 AM 10-27-2020
I don't sit there and watch specific linebackers, but I saw some nice things from Wilson last week. Granted, I'm sure I missed some lapses if there were some.
[Reply]
jjchieffan 08:55 AM 10-27-2020
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
I’ll just leave this here

That is impressive. Although I still can't believe that they gave up 40 to the friggin Carr led Faiders! He hasn't put that much up in 2 games most years.
[Reply]
BWillie 09:00 AM 10-27-2020
The points per game is also selling this defense short. It's a Top 10 defense by points let up but it's really been better than that. We are a team that will increase the amount of possessions a game. Also since we are always winning, the other team has an incentive to pass more, and we give up garbage scores in the 4th quarter when basically playing prevent.

Yet when I look at DVOA we are only 13th on defense. I would have thought it would be higher than that.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:11 AM 10-27-2020
We were down to like...fourth string DE.

It was on a sloppy wet field in the snow.

I don't really understand why anyone would judge too harshly under the circumstances.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up