ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 9
< 12345 6789 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Need some help from the mechanics
TLO 06:51 PM 08-15-2020
2015 Dodge Charger RT - 75,000 miles.

I'm noticing a clicking/ticking sound coming from the front end, (sounds like maybe from the right side) under acceleration at low speed. The noise is also present when coming to a stop. It seems to be worse when turning under acceleration. At higher speeds the noise goes away. (Will generally stop once I hit 15mph or so)

The noise is not present when the car is cold. Takes about 15 minutes of driving before it becomes noticeable at all.

Car seems to be running well, no issues shifting.

Will try to provide more details as needed.
[Reply]
Cornstock 04:48 PM 08-17-2020
I had a similar issue with my vehicle around 75k. It was a combination of 2 things happening. The sway bar bushings begin to collapse around 65-75k miles which makes a jostling popping sound as the joint shifts around in the socket. You'll hear it the most at low speeds 15mph ish like you describe. Additionally, I had an engine mount that was also beginning to collapse and when you would brake or turn you could feel the whole engin shift ever so slightly. This is important to fix quickly as the angle of the drive shaft is no longer as intended and this results in serious grinding on the gears. The sway bars isn't quite as urgent but the sound is really annoying.
[Reply]
lewdog 04:52 PM 08-17-2020
Did you total this piece of shit yet?
[Reply]
Shiver Me Timbers 05:04 PM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by Cornstock:
I had a similar issue with my vehicle around 75k. ................
German SUV-
I had a clank in the front right that turned out to be a lower control arm. Noticed it while backing out of the garage each morning and tapping the brakes.

That turned into upper and lower on each front corner (might as well do them all at the same time). Then the air suspension on the right side was diagnosed as leaking so I had them change them both. $6900.00 later (picked up this past Friday) it drives like new. I did get the 10% car club discount.
6 months out of Factory warranty. FML......................
[Reply]
Cornstock 05:16 PM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by Shiver Me Timbers:
German SUV-
I had a clank in the front right that turned out to be a lower control arm. Noticed it while backing out of the garage each morning and tapping the brakes.

That turned into upper and lower on each front corner (might as well do them all at the same time). Then the air suspension on the right side was diagnosed as leaking so I had them change them both. $6900.00 later (picked up this past Friday) it drives like new. I did get the 10% car club discount.
6 months out of Factory warranty. FML......................

Mines German as well... sounds like the exact same thing, but i just replaced the ball joint and it was fine.. Knock on wood my air suspension is fine, for now.
[Reply]
Bugeater 05:19 PM 08-17-2020
Mercedes owners....the struggle is real...
[Reply]
stumppy 05:25 PM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
This struck me as a good idea, so I tried it. Swerving back and forth seemed to have no impact on the sound. The last couple of days the following things have stood out to me.

1. The noise is only present after 15-20 minutes of driving.
2. I first noticed it when I was turning, but the same noise is present when slowly accelerating from a stop, or right as I'm coming to a stop.

My Dad is going to help me look at it tomorrow. Hope it's not an expensive fix.
Good idea, sounding more and more like a two man job.
[Reply]
JD10367 05:25 PM 08-17-2020
https://www.google.com/search?q=blin...w=1440&bih=786
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 05:26 PM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by stumppy:
Good idea, sounding more and more like a two man job.
One man can’t simultaneously fuck both tailpipes.
[Reply]
Shiver Me Timbers 06:39 PM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Mercedes owners....the struggle is real...
Cayenne here. It is a blast to drive (two turbos / no waiting). Same stuff though. I raised the suspension on Saturday to get under it and look at the work and the new parts have a VW and and Audi logo stamped all over them. LOL
[Reply]
Bugeater 06:49 PM 08-17-2020
Cayenne here. It is a blast to drive (two turbos / no waiting). Same stuff though. I raised the suspension on Saturday to get under it and look at the work and the new parts have a VW and and Audi logo stamped all over them. LOL
Pretty sure Porsche has always been part of VW. I assumed M-B with all the horror stories I've heard about their air ride systems.
[Reply]
Shiver Me Timbers 07:10 PM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Pretty sure Porsche has always been part of VW. I assumed M-B with all the horror stories I've heard about their air ride systems.
that is true but it is still kind of funny to see an $900 part on a Pcar with a vw stamp on it. the air ride is expensive to fix on all of them. I bought it knowing the expense but short of a sports car (911) this thing fits my needs and I smile every time i romp on the throttle and take it into the corners. For an SUV it is really pretty amazing.
[Reply]
Cornstock 09:14 PM 08-17-2020
that is true but it is still kind of funny to see an $900 part on a Pcar with a vw stamp on it. the air ride is expensive to fix on all of them. I bought it knowing the expense but short of a sports car (911) this thing fits my needs and I smile every time i romp on the throttle and take it into the corners. For an SUV it is really pretty amazing.
Dead on, you don't get it as an economy car, you get it because you appreciate the detail, engineering, and the whole overall experience. As long as you factor in the expenses you'll be fine... I've known a lot of people who can afford the monthly payment and get loaned up to their ears, but don't account for a maintenance schedule. They don't own them long. Find a shop with guys you trust, who can explain in detail what kinds of repairs you can expect and you'll have a good experience. I've learned to stay away from dealerships unless you have a lease and its all covered.
[Reply]
TimeForWasp 06:34 PM 08-18-2020
Sounds like wheel bearing. The reason it doesn't do it when cold, it the grease may be more solidified and when it warms up it gets more breaks down. Just a thought. When it's warmed up and making the noise, with stereo off so you can hear do some slight swerves and see if it's doing it more when swerving left or right. If it quiets going one way and hear it going the other, it sounds like a wheel bearing. I would change both if that's the case. Can't remember the name of the spray lube, but saw on a youtube video it you have access to spray it in from the inside to temporarily get rid of the noise. Just a thought.
[Reply]
TLO 06:00 PM 02-23-2021
So this problem completely went this winter. It never once made that noise. Today it is 70 degrees and it's back with a vengeance. Much louder and can hear it while just cruising.

Still can't find the problem
[Reply]
FlaChief58 06:13 PM 02-23-2021
Originally Posted by 65TPT:
Sounds like wheel bearing. The reason it doesn't do it when cold, it the grease may be more solidified and when it warms up it gets more breaks down. Just a thought. When it's warmed up and making the noise, with stereo off so you can hear do some slight swerves and see if it's doing it more when swerving left or right. If it quiets going one way and hear it going the other, it sounds like a wheel bearing. I would change both if that's the case. Can't remember the name of the spray lube, but saw on a youtube video it you have access to spray it in from the inside to temporarily get rid of the noise. Just a thought.
I'm not a mechanic, but I have turned a few wrenches. Bearing was my first thought as well
[Reply]
Page 5 of 9
< 12345 6789 >
Up