ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 51
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Media Center>Must Watch Series
Buehler445 08:54 AM 04-26-2012
All this talk about series, how network TV Sucks, and how hard it is to find quality shows, and some excellent shows that fly under the radar, I need a comprehensive review of all the series I need to see.

For good entertainment, I would be willing to buy DVD sets. But I've recently picked up HBOGO by kiping it from my parents, and recently got Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Here is a listing of shows that I currently own or have seen all the episodes of. If it isn't on the list, just assume I haven't seen it.

Spoiler!


Here is a listing of shows that I'm currently watching
Spoiler!


Here is a listing of shows on my list to watch (mostly due to this thread)
Spoiler!



I work a fuckton, so it is hard for me catch a series while it is on to get it on the DVR, but I recognize the entertainment value and am willing to go after the Must See shows. Accordingly, I'm not necessarily looking for anything that is still running. I'm up for watching stuff that has run its course.

So what say you, Planet? Which shows should I see?

UPDATED for the shows I've seen recently.
[Reply]
kcchiefsus 09:58 PM 01-29-2015
Didn't see any mention of The Shield in here. Any thoughts? Just finished Breaking Bad and SOA is over so I'm trying to find some new shows. With Justified also being in it's final season I'm soon to be at a loss for shows to watch.

I was debating between The Shield and The Wire. I downloaded The Shield so I guess that's first on the docket.
[Reply]
Pablo 09:59 PM 01-29-2015
Haven't read much of this thread, but I'm halfway through season two of The Wire. Watch it if you haven't. Excellent thus far.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:25 PM 01-29-2015
Originally Posted by kcchiefsus:
Didn't see any mention of The Shield in here. Any thoughts? Just finished Breaking Bad and SOA is over so I'm trying to find some new shows. With Justified also being in it's final season I'm soon to be at a loss for shows to watch.

I was debating between The Shield and The Wire. I downloaded The Shield so I guess that's first on the docket.
The Wire. Watch it. Now.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:35 PM 01-29-2015
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Holy shit. The Assets was really spectacular. In the beginning it was pretty meh. But It got really damn good towards the middle and fucking awesome at the end.

AND THEN it turned out to be true. Christ. What a show.
The Americans just debuted it's third season.

Really quality show, if you're into that 80s Cold War thing.

Story told from the POV of Russian spies implanted very young as a married couple in the suburban beltway.

Does a good job of capturing the mood of the time, showing the technological limitations and pending breakthroughs that made spycraft so hard, yet so important. Also, shows the torn allegiances between America clearly providing them and their family a better life, while blaming the deprivations in the homeland on America itself.

Doesn't pull a lot of punches. You'll want to kill for the 'protagonists' in one instance and cry your eyes out for them the next.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:37 PM 01-29-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
The Americans just debuted it's third season.

Really quality show, if you're into that 80s Cold War thing.

Story told from the POV of Russian spies implanted very young as a married couple in the suburban beltway.

Does a good job of capturing the mood of the time, showing the technological limitations and pending breakthroughs that made spycraft so hard, yet so important. Also, shows the torn allegiances between America clearly providing them and their family a better life, while blaming the deprivations in the homeland on America itself.

Doesn't pull a lot of punches. You'll want to kill for the 'protagonists' in one instance and cry your eyes out for them the next.
Yeah. I'm watching it. Great fucking show. And I want to do bad things to Keri Russell.
[Reply]
keg in kc 11:15 PM 01-29-2015
I've been catching up on The Americans onAmazon prime. Missed all of the second season. Both seasons are on there for anybody else who's behind or hasn't seen it.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:22 AM 02-01-2015
Another great show to catch up on with HBOGo is The Comeback. Kind of HBO's version of Firefly, the show they shouldn't have cancelled.

It is said a lot, but it suffered from being ahead of it's time. It's a mix of Spinal Tap and BBC's The Office in that it's a mockumentary that is heavy on cringe humor.

Lisa Kudrow plays an aging former sitcom star trying to make a 'comeback' by working on a new sitcom at the same time as she's filming a reality show documenting her sitcom comeback. On the sitcom, she's working with a bunch of younger, hipper, sexier and way less mature co-stars, as well as a writing staff that resents the intrusion of her reality show. And the network process changes her character from a prominent professional who lives with the youngsters to a sourpuss old chick who owns the apartment complex and just pops in with curmudgeonly catchphrases.

People weren't clued into just how asinine reality was to become, much like Spinal Tap audiences weren't clued into how asinine rockumentaries would become.

Further, people weren't prepared for cringe-humor like they were when The Office came out soon thereafter in Britain.

Given what's transpired since it first went on, they brought back the show with largely the same cast this fall after 9 years off-air, which I think is unprecedented.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 11:30 AM 02-01-2015
I see you have Band of Brothers on your list but not The Pacific.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:38 AM 02-01-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Another great show to catch up on with HBOGo is The Comeback. Kind of HBO's version of Firefly, the show they shouldn't have cancelled.

It is said a lot, but it suffered from being ahead of it's time. It's a mix of Spinal Tap and BBC's The Office in that it's a mockumentary that is heavy on cringe humor.

Lisa Kudrow plays an aging former sitcom star trying to make a 'comeback' by working on a new sitcom at the same time as she's filming a reality show documenting her sitcom comeback. On the sitcom, she's working with a bunch of younger, hipper, sexier and way less mature co-stars, as well as a writing staff that resents the intrusion of her reality show. And the network process changes her character from a prominent professional who lives with the youngsters to a sourpuss old chick who owns the apartment complex and just pops in with curmudgeonly catchphrases.

People weren't clued into just how asinine reality was to become, much like Spinal Tap audiences weren't clued into how asinine rockumentaries would become.

Further, people weren't prepared for cringe-humor like they were when The Office came out soon thereafter in Britain.

Given what's transpired since it first went on, they brought back the show with largely the same cast this fall after 9 years off-air, which I think is unprecedented.
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
I see you have Band of Brothers on your list but not The Pacific.
I'll add those two to the list.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 12:08 PM 02-01-2015
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I'll add those two to the list.
Another neat thing, if you into it, is seeing all the talent that got their start on there. A ton of people who are household names showing up in bit parts. I won't spoil them here, though.

Kind of like going back and seeing all of Jerry's girlfriends through the years on Seinfeld.
[Reply]
Ragged Robin 10:15 PM 02-01-2015
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
I see you have Band of Brothers on your list but not The Pacific.
because the pacific sucks nuts
[Reply]
CoMoChief 12:55 PM 02-04-2015
Here's a list of about every show I've watched or am currently watching

Netflix
Arrested Development
House of Cards
Orange is the New Black
Marco Polo
Peaky Blinders

HBO
Boardwalk Empire
The Wire
The Sopranos
Entourage
Band of Brothers
Eastbound & Down
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Game of Thrones
Deadwood

Showtime
Weeds
Shameless

AMC
Breaking Bad
Hell on Wheels
Mad Men
Better Call Saul

FX
Sons of Anarchy
Justified
Archer
It's Always Funny in Philadelphia

Comedy Central
Review
Southpark
Workaholics
Tosh.0

ABC,NBC,FOX,CBS
Parks & Rec
The Office
The Blacklist
Modern Family
Family Guy
Seinfeld
Prison Break

Adult Swim
Tim&Eric Awesome Show
Check it Out w/ Dr.Steve Brule
Robot Chicken
Aqua Teen Hunger Force
[Reply]
Molitoth 12:29 PM 02-05-2015
Originally Posted by CoMoChief:
Here's a list of about every show I've watched or am currently watching
Pretty good list. No Walking Dead?
[Reply]
Molitoth 12:30 PM 02-05-2015
I just went back and watched the show Jericho (on netflix), which was really nice. Shame it got canceled.
[Reply]
CoMoChief 09:42 PM 02-05-2015
Originally Posted by Molitoth:
Pretty good list. No Walking Dead?
Never been able to get into the whole zombie thing....same with the whole vampire fad...never could get into true blood although like walking dead, everyone tells me its a badass show. Maybe someday ill come around.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 51
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Up